Live From The Decks Of Maasdam 14 Nights 10/24/08 - Comparing Hal To X

tuggers

Welcome home, Gail and Terri...

Gail, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and adventures aboard the Maasdam; I loved all your posts, and am really looking forward to reading about your upcoming adventures on the Jewel! (Especially since we were supposed to be leaving on a cruise on the 7th as well and ended up cancelling it...:( ) but will truly enjoy reading about your RCCL adventure.

Take care!

Thanks, Gail, for your daily reviews of the Maasdam. It makes me feel like I was right there with you!! Oh wait.....I WAS there!! Tee Hee!!;)

Hey, Pat and Alf!! Glad to see you on the boards, too! It was really a great table we had. EH?!

BUT, it has been 3 days and no shrimp cocktail anywhere.:eek: I guess I'm into shrimp withdrawl!

Hi to you too TeeDee. Great finally meeting you.

Hope we all meet up again on some great cruise! Take care! Deb C.

I'm sorry you are missing your 12/7 cruise! Maybe there will be great bargains to be had in January and you can reschedule! Let's hope!

The Jewel will be a real fun one because our friends Cil and Rog from RI are going with us. In fact we are all meeting up at my house early in the week to spend some pre-cruise bonding time together (that's code for we're going to drink!:)). Then we are renting a car and driving down to Miami (350 miles)! ROAD TRIP!!!

We will be all primed for the Concierge Lounge when we get there!:D

I'm sorry you are missing your 12/7 cruise! Maybe there will be great bargains to be had in January and you can reschedule! Let's hope!

The Jewel will be a real fun one because our friends Cil and Rog from RI are going with us. In fact we are all meeting up at my house early in the week to spend some pre-cruise bonding time together (that's code for we're going to drink!:)). Then we are renting a car and driving down to Miami (350 miles)! ROAD TRIP!!!

We will be all primed for the Concierge Lounge when we get there!:D

If it's Jewel of the Seas you are referring to, she is IMHO the most beautiful ship on the seas. I don't think I ever had a better cruise than when on board her.:)

According to a copy of an email we were shown by (maybe I should not say by whom since it was marked confidential) it speciafically said that a/c and plumbing (among a few other things that I don't remember) issues were to be repaired during that time.

I hope it was right!

It was there. Bigger than heck! When I think about those big ships I can't the picture out of my mind from one trip to St Maarten when my group was walking right onboard and there was a line of about 60/75 people wating to get back onboard one of the monster ships. I don't vacation to wait in line. Except maybe for free drinks!:D

I don't see how they are going to fix the air conditioning and plumbing on that ship in a week.

We have sailed on her a few times.

They should be able to do that.

The condenser unit may just need to be replaced.

But......

It is in a bad spot in the ship and they can't take it out to replace it withoug shutting a complete set of rooms.

Think of it as a large A/C unit at home that needs to be replaced - just the main part.....

Complicated by the fact it is woven into the ceiling area with all the other electrical and pipes and noise reduction padding that has to be removed - the unit fixed - and all put back into place.

Tuggers, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comparisons with Celebrity/Hal. Our cruise iteniary to Australia has been cancelled and we are looking into HAL to take that cruise. We have only sailed with Celebrity and are concerned about the stability on a smaller ship. Don't much like the rock and rolls.

Hey Alf, Pat! Was hoping Jim and Eileen might find their way over here. They could still be out visiting I guess.

pattj, which ship is it you're looking at? Maasdam was very stable but then we had great weather. I'm not bothered by the rock and roll so I'm probably not the best one to ask.

Yes, I have just been having trouble with the boards. Its funny you said that this morning because I was just trying to put it on. I thought maybe it was my computer so I ran some virus and spyware (twice) and I came to the conclusion its the boards.

Anyone else having this problem?

Hi Gail,

I enjoyed reading your wonderful, detailed review. My husband and I were on the Westerdam Oct. 26-Nov. 2 and I agree with your comparisons of HAL and Celebrity. I wish I had known about the wine card ... prices on the wine list were outrageous. A bottle of St. Michelle reisling which sells for $7 was $39 on Hal ... $27 on Celebrity.

You mentioned the $10 charge for the mixology class. Before our cruise I read on the boards that you get 3 full size cocktails in the mixology class so I signed up. In our session we got a champagne dream, mojito, and a tropical sidecar ... and then I had a nap.

We booked our cruise in June and the fixed dining was already full. (This should tell management that they need to allot more space for fixed dining.) We tried the anytime dining, but it is not for us. Next cruise will be back to Celebrity.

Looking forward to your December review of the Jewel.

JoAnne

Hey Deb,

Hope you had a good trip home. It was great cruising with you, eh! No worries, I hear those shrimp boats are making their way to Ohio and should be there soon...Thanks for being a great dining partner. We hope we can cruise with you again.

Pat & Alf

Hi Alf & Pat!

How wonderful to see you here! I too hope we get a chance to cruise with the two of you, we had such a great time on the cruise with you guys!

Terri

Hi Gail,

I enjoyed reading your wonderful, detailed review. My husband and I were on the Westerdam Oct. 26-Nov. 2 and I agree with your comparisons of HAL and Celebrity. I wish I had known about the wine card ... prices on the wine list were outrageous. A bottle of St. Michelle reisling which sells for $7 was $39 on Hal ... $27 on Celebrity.

You mentioned the $10 charge for the mixology class. Before our cruise I read on the boards that you get 3 full size cocktails in the mixology class so I signed up. In our session we got a champagne dream, mojito, and a tropical sidecar ... and then I had a nap.

We booked our cruise in June and the fixed dining was already full. (This should tell management that they need to allot more space for fixed dining.) We tried the anytime dining, but it is not for us. Next cruise will be back to Celebrity.

Looking forward to your December review of the Jewel.

JoAnne

Ohhhh, I didn't realize you got 3 full size drinks during the mixology class. I'm going to have to sign up for that one in April!

Terri

I have never even considered HAL after hearing negative reports. They should pay you a referral fee because, after reading your review, I will definitely begin checking out any well priced trips they offer. It was wonderful to read your day by day reports, with the good and the not-so-good, except for the fact that I am feeling extremely cruise-deprived!! Thanks so much!

Thanks new2cz but if they paid me I might feel bad if I dissed the 'Party Planner' and raged about my missing dessert in the Pinacle!:D

I'm anxious to see how RCI stacks up against HAL's food. Since we were just on Maasdam it will give us a good comparison. I have never been a fan of RCI's food. Maybe this time it will work in my favor and help me lose some of the pounds remaining from HAL!:rolleyes:

Archived