A3 v PG on QM2

cruzadict

We are currently booked into, and have paid in full, for a A3 stateroom on the Xmas/New Year cruise on QM2. We have now been offered a guarantee P2 for an additional £1600. Need help in deciding whether it is worth paying the extra. Thought maybe there would be less children dining in Princess Grill than in Britannia. Are there many tables for 2?

Thanks for any help, hate having to made decisions.

We are currently booked into, and have paid in full, for a A3 stateroom on the Xmas/New Year cruise on QM2. We have now been offered a guarantee P2 for an additional £1600. Need help in deciding whether it is worth paying the extra. Thought maybe there would be less children dining in Princess Grill than in Britannia. Are there many tables for 2?

There are a number of tables for two in the PG restaurant, and availability is variable - depending upon how many guests have requested a table for two. Tables are allocated on board by the Maitre d', and when allocating tables, the main criteria are (a) early bookings take precedence over later bookings, and (b) your CWC status does have some say in the matter.

I would suggest that there are certainly less juvenile diners in the PG restaurant as opposed to the Britannia restaurant, and although the service should be much slicker, the choice of dishes is also greater. The other main benefit is that you have only one 'sitting' in the Grills, which means that you can arrive literally anytime during the restaurant opening times.

Upon arrival in your cabin, there will be a small card there informing you of your designated dining table. The usual format is that you scoot down to the PG restaurant as soon as you board, check out the table, and if it is not to your particular requirement, have a word with the Maitre d', who will do his best to accommodate your request.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

David

I think that £1600 is a very large price to pay in the hope that there are less children. If it helps you making your decision I didn't see that many children in the Britannia Restaurant and the ones I did see were very well behaved.

I hope this helps.

While I agree that the pricing seems steep, if you can afford it without a hardship, I say go for it!

We have never sailed Britannia class, but we thoroughly enjoyed every moment of our experience in the Princess Grill on QM2 last February. Having open seating (and your same table always ready to go at lunch and breakfast, with same staff 95% of the time) was wonderful. Gives you a lot of flexibility with your schedule in the evening. The princess grill is about 50% tables for 2-- try to request one of about 6 that are along the window (note that the promenade deck is outside the window, if that bothers you).

The staterooms in the Princess Grill are also dramatically larger and nicer than A3. Another thing we enjoyed was that the Princess & Queens grill share a private sundeck at the back of the ship with nice loungers (that are generally easily available) and hot tub. Not only is this area quieter and calmer than the larger pool area, but there are cold beverages and fruit and sandwich displays in the shade for those who want to snack.

If the table for two is your main concern--I must say that on each of our 4 voyages on QM2 we have asked for and got a table for two. If you do not get it then just go to the Brittania on boarding day and request it again.

There were never too many children in Brittania

Also we had an A3 and loved the location on 8 --could not be better and we have also travelled A1 and A2 (we needed the A3 handicapped this time). I do not think I would go for the extra for the table for two (which you can have) and the lack of children (few and far between)

Hope this helps

Enjoy

We are re booked for an A3 for January 3,2009

Eileen

Thank you all for your advise. Have taken the plunge and upgraded to the P2. Decided we had to try it to be able to make a comparison for future cruises. This is the reason I have given my husband!!!

Surely he will suspect your plan?:cool: No going back to steerage, they say!:p Surely you will be in QG the following trip!:D Have a wonderful time.:)

Just been allocated a suite number and been upgraded to P1, 10079. Has anyone stayed in this suite. Keeping fingers crossed that they may upgrade us further to Qeens Grill. Now I really am being greedy!! Staying in New York for 4 days prior to the cruise so any recommendations for restaurants would be gratefully received.

• 3 weeks later...
Just been allocated a suite number and been upgraded to P1, 10079. Has anyone stayed in this suite. Keeping fingers crossed that they may upgrade us further to Qeens Grill. Now I really am being greedy!! Staying in New York for 4 days prior to the cruise so any recommendations for restaurants would be gratefully received.

I am in this suite for the 11/21 cruise. I'll report back. I'm very happy with the location.

already answered sorry.

If it's within your means, I would suggest upgrading. Especially if the additional fare involved will not bother you much should you not be impressed with the higher class accommodations. Two things I love about grill rooms, aside from the larger rooms and better service overall (so I hear, I've only been in a grill stateroom), is that you have access to the grill lounge and you have an extensive a la carte menu in addition to the regular menu. Whether or not all those factors is worth what amounts to $2300USD is up to you. You will most assuredly encounter fewer children in the grill dining rooms.

You mean they let children on board the QM2. And they feed them. Whatever next? Christmas and New Year without children, what a great idea for a book. Why not be extra miserable and not talk to anyone else through the voyage. I know, get a table for two, reserved in the name of Mr and Mrs Ebeneezer Scrooge.:(

Hope that is for two since it amounts to $2,900 plus Cnd.

You are going to love Princess Grill Class; which is where we were on our 2005 Cruise on board the QM2

A memorable experience. Don't forget to use the special lounges, where from time to time you will experience private performances, and deck space set a side for Grill Guests; and you will find breakfast in the cabins the best we have ever experienced. You also have available concierge lounge/ service for making reservations on board ship.

Archived