USA Today opinion: 'NCL experience' has improved

jleq

My most recent cruise was my first on NCL so I can't compare with any past experience there...

but I have to say that I was quite impressed. I went on it with low expectation, hearing all the negative reviews here and elsewhere...and found it to be a most pleasant experience, for all the reasons cited here (except I didn't go to the Garden Cafe in the evening, so can't comment on that!).

Finally some good news about NCL. This is very welcome, especially after all of the news regarding the F3 fiasco.

Do you think NCL can maintain their gains, during these very troubling times?

to me the secret is what people do and do not expect when cruising NCL or any other line for that matter...Each line has a niche; although they are similar in many ways, they are different as well.

Nita

Having read Cruise Critic for a couple of years, I think it is clear that most people prefer to complain in writing than offer praise in writing. As I stated earlier, my wife and I had one of our best vacations ever on the Dawn in 2007 and we are now looking forward to our next cruise in February. We aren't laying out a "boatload" of money for another cruise because it was so terrible! We loved it and can't wait. We do know that not everything will be perfect on the Gem, but everything is not perfect at Disney World, Cape Cod, our home or anywhere else! Try looking for the good and not the bad and you'll be much happier where ever you are!

I visit the USA blog nearly every day and it was nice to see in the comments that nobody was bashing NCL. I can't wait to go on the Pearl again this December. The pearl is my fave NCL ship and the Jewel a close second.

I am so happy to hear that! We love the Pearl - she's a beautiful ship with a terrific crew. We're on the Jewel next year, a first for us. And to hear you speak of the Pearl and Jewel is such glowing terms, reinforces that we made a great choice for next year. Thanks! :D :D :D

to me the secret is what people do and do not expect when cruising NCL or any other line for that matter...Each line has a niche; although they are similar in many ways, they are different as well.

Nita

Thank you Nita, you are right on target here. I believe that we all expect good food, good service and good entertainment.

We may have our own personal preferences regarding a more formal or more casual atomosphere, or do we want a lot of onboard activities or not so many shipboard activities, and do we want a lot of late night activities, or not so many late night activities, etc.

You know that I am not loyal to any cruiseline, though I prefer some lines over others, I have never been on a bad cruise.

I don't know why I am not loyal to any cruiseline, could it be a personality defect? Maybe I haven't found the right one yet, or do I just like having the variety that the various cruiselines offer.

We couldn't agree more. Just returned from our favorite ship (Dawn) cruise to our favorite island (Bermuda). The ship still retains its old charm, the staff is friendly and first rate and the food was excellent. Looking forward to doing it again in October 2009.

Archived