Skagway Avis Rental And Emerald Lake

jmezmom

Does the Avis rental have maps for the emerald lake drive or will it be in the Murrays guide I will buy next spring?

How long should I plan on having the rental car to drive to the lake and stop at the places Murrays guide suggests?

Any tips on this drive would be appreciated!

Thanks

Does the Avis rental have maps for the emerald lake drive or will it be in the Murrays guide I will buy next spring?

Murray's guide will get you there and back with all the information you would ever want along the way. Money well spent IMO.

How long should I plan on having the rental car to drive to the lake and stop at the places Murrays guide suggests?

Any tips on this drive would be appreciated! Thanks

We spent most of the day on the drive, a couple of us dropped the rest of our group off to do some shopping / sight seeing in town and we went back out to the cemetery and waterfall just behind the railroad yard.

The drive is only about 75 miles each way so it doesn't take long if you just drive. However, you will probably make many stops to view and photograph the beautiful scenery. The road is good and the driving is easy and there is only one road so you can't get lost. We picked up our car at 8 AM when Avis opened and returned it by about 4 PM.

Murrays guide is great and there is no need for any maps as there is really only one road with almost no turnoffs. almost impossible to get lost. I'd allow 4-5 hours as a rough guide, as others said you will be making many stops for photos. I've usually been up early in the season but this year went up mid Sept. Sure was nice to see the fall colors but think I prefer early in the year with snow on the mountains and the lakes still frozen.

I think we picked up the car a little after 8 and we were back around 4:30.

Avis does give you a little tourist ad book that has a map- but Murray's guide actually tells you want you are seeing and is worth getting.

The photos from our trip are under Klondike Highway (I know I take too many of them and really need to sort out the better ones)

http://norticprincess.shutterfly.com/alaska

I made up a webpage about this trip.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you.I enjoyed reading your review! I have sent you an email.This sounds like a wonderful drive.We have been looking for a day trip to fit our port schedule.

Archived