Car Rental in December

rustymerle

My husband and I will be traveling on the Silver Whisper to Grand Cayman and arrive on December 24th. A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to rent a car and drive around to places like Rum Point and other locales? I thought it would be a lot of fun to explore the island, but from prior postings, I am concerned the roads may not be passable in some places and rental car companies may have been wiped out. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. Can you recommend a rental car company near the port if there are any available?

3. What is your best guess on the Ferry running from the Hyatt to Rum Point? Is there a closer location to the port to catch the ferry?

Thanks so much for all your help and all of the up to the minute information. We are very excited about the trip. Although I have been to the Caymans before, this is my husband's first visit. We are both so pleased everyone is getting back on their feet. Grand Cayman is such a great place and a true treasure in the Caribbean. Can't wait until December!

Thanks again.

Linda

My husband and I will be traveling on the Silver Whisper to Grand Cayman and arrive on December 24th. A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to rent a car and drive around to places like Rum Point and other locales? I thought it would be a lot of fun to explore the island, but from prior postings, I am concerned the roads may not be passable in some places and rental car companies may have been wiped out. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. Can you recommend a rental car company near the port if there are any available?

Roads SHOULD be ok by then. Budget Rent-a-car has an "outlet" in Shellections which is right outside the South Terminal where the tenders drop you off.

3. What is your best guess on the Ferry running from the Hyatt to Rum Point? Is there a closer location to the port to catch the ferry?

The ferry ONLY runs from the Hyatt to Rum Point. You can catch a bus from the port to the Hyatt for a lot less than a taxi.

We reserved a car thru Budget and the pickup location is:

APT CENTRE BUILDING-Georgetown CT

Is this the same as the terminal you speak of?

I didn't see another location so I picked that one.

We won't need a taxi to get there, will we?

The APT CENTRE BUILDING is across from the airport which is about two miles from the dock. This is what was on their website, so you may want to e-mail to find out if they will pick you up at Shellections/dock:

Budget Rent a Car was up and running just a few days after Category 5 Ivan. Currently all operations are handled from our Administrative offices, located on Airport Road, across the street from the fire station.

As of Nov 5th, the majority of the fleet is out to government, relief effort and related organizations. Although we are operational at this time, availability is very limited for the month of November.

We have placed a large order for new vehicles and these vehicles should begin to arrive during the month of November. We do hope to have reservations open to the general public starting in December of 2004.

Please email us with any inquiries:

Phone: 345-949-9761

We are going in February 2005 so hopefully by then there will be more cars.

I guess we'll be picking up a shuttle bus to the airport. I wonder if they do that for free? I'll have to email them. Thanks

I emailed them and this was their reply if anyone else is interested in budget rent a car:

We do pick up free of charge from the Port. Unfortunately, the company there that allowed our customers to use their phone to place the pick up call is no longer open due to Ivan.

Just go to the nearest shop and ask them to call us at 916-6907 or 927-3644 or 949-5605 (currently the 5605 number is out of service due to Ivan). We'll come get you wherever you are in the Port Area.

Hope this helps and we'll just have to see what happens in February. At least we get a free shuttle to the pickup location anyways.

Archived