Large Group Question

I'm interested in getting a large group together for our next cruise. Anyone have experience with this? What kind of deals are we looking at?

Also, in your experience, is it more fun in large groups or as a couple/family?

thanks all!

EDIT---might help if i said this: we're thinking 12-18 people.

We have sailed in a large group on our last two cruises (16 people), but they were all family. We always had the best time. "The more, the merrier". The only perk I know of is if you book 8 or more rooms, then you get one discounted. Having never sailed RCCL before, if anyone knows of anything else they do for groups, I am interested in hearing, too.

We're sailing w/18 family members (mostly cousins and aunts & uncles) on the Mariner 3/6. When we booked the cruise (in January), the TA gave us a discount equivalent to one fare of the least expensive cabin we booked (in our case, an inside). That $ figure was divided by the number of cabins (9) (minimum of 8 is required for the group discount) and applied to our statements. We will also all be seated together for dinner (although probably at 2-3 tables).

On our first cruise, we cruised w/19 other folks. A few we knew, some better than others. We had a great time with everyone. The second cruise it was just the DH and I. We both agreed that although we love spending time together, a cruise is much more enjoyable when you can share the fun and excitement with family and/or friends.

As with our first cruise, we will be doing whatever we want, whenever we want. If there are others interested in doing the same thing, great, but we won't cheat ourselves of something we want to do because others want to do something else. We know that come dinner time we'll all be together and what a perfect time to share the stories of the day.

Cathy

Cathy,

Thanks for your feedback. We are going on our second cruise next June, and there'll be ten of us, family and friends. We are so looking forward to it, but I was interested to hear how others have navigated the logistics of a larger group when it comes to excursions and other activities. I know that we won't do everything together, but finding that right mix of group and individual activities could be tricky, I would think. My husband and I really enjoyed every minute of our first cruise last Feb, so we are really looking forward to sharing this one with our family and friends!

My parents did a group cruise in March...22 of them, all friends. They are snowbirds..live in NJ, winter in FL. My mother said it was the best time because there was always someone to hang out with. Everyone did what they wanted. Some did excursions, some stayed on the ship. They all met at dinner and had 2-3 tables so they all switched seats every night so they could talk to someone different. Their average age is about 70 but they act like kids!!! They are planning another one this winter.....

I know this is OT, but here goes. If this is your first large group cruising, you probably aren't used to so many people travelling together. At dinner, you will be seated at 2 tables or more (depending on group size). I can't think of a really tactful way to say this, and please understand that I don't assume your group will be like this, but I'd like to ask you to remind everyone that shouting between tables is extremely disruptive to the surrounding tables. I'm sure it would not be intentional, but it's easy to forget that trying to talk across the length of 2 tables means using a pretty loud voice. We dealt with this one cruise. A group of about 20 seated at 3 tables. They all wanted to talk to everyone else in the group all evening. It was so loud that DH and I couldn't hear anyone at our small table without us also having to raise our voices, plus it was very distracting because all we could hear was this group shouting to each other. They were oblivious to the fact that they caused the pax around them to practically stick their fingers in their ears. I think they just didn't realize that talking to a friend who is 20 feet away is probably not a good idea in a large, crowded dining room. Again, just a word of advice you might want to pass along.

We usually travel with only a few friends or family members. That's our preference, but we have seen some large groups having a great time together. I'm sure you will too.

Hope your cruise is fabulous.

beachchick

I'm interested in getting a large group together for our next cruise. Anyone have experience with this? What kind of deals are we looking at?Also, in your experience, is it more fun in large groups or as a couple/family?

EDIT---might help if i said this: we're thinking 12-18 people.

I have booked groups and I have sailed with groups. This past August, I sailed with 36 of my family members and friends. It was a blast to have people I knew on board and spent time with. Of course, if you don't want to see someone, there are many places to hide away.

A group must be booked, or space held, with a minimum of 8 cabins or 16 people. Cruise lines offer incentives for booking groups. Some lines will offer a reduction in price. Royal Caribbean normally offers a group rate that is the same as individual pricing. If you have 16 people in 8 cabins, the cruise line will the give what is called a Tour Conductor which is one person's berth or cruise rate free. It is not one cabin for 16 people. that one free person is still responsible for all taxes, port charges, tips and air.

Along with this, there are amenities tht are offered to groups. The amount of the amenities that you receive are varied depending on the ship and sailing date. Do not expect to receive any amenities if you are sailing at a popular time or a holiday when they know that they can fill the ship. The exception to this is if you book that group far in advance of a year plus.

You would be best served to speak with a local TA who has experience with group cruises.

Archived