ketchican and buying a totem pole

LoveThisCruisingThing

I have been thinking that I want a small (1-3 feet tall) totem pole for my backyard. I was wondering if anyone knew of places in Ketchican that I can buy one and have it shipped home. Thanks for the help!

Grace

I don't know that you can afford it. We talked to a carver, albeit a professional one, and the going rate is $5000/foot. I am sure you can get some chain saw rough cut look-a-like totem for a couple of hundred.

Janice

Prices are more like $1,000 per foot unless you want museum quality work by a "known" artist, and what I consider junk for people who don't know West Coast art can be found for $150-200 a foot. I can't think of any shops in Ketchikan that had any, but Vancouver has some excellent galleries with totem poles.

Prices are more like $1,000 per foot unless you want museum quality work by a "known" artist, and what I consider junk for people who don't know West Coast art can be found for $150-200 a foot. I can't think of any shops in Ketchikan that had any, but Vancouver has some excellent galleries with totem poles.

Thanks Yukon. The carver who we talked to was a 10th generation carver and probably a "known artist." I didn't see any for sale in Ketchikan, but Vancouver would make more sense.

Janice

Archived