The weekly "formal dress question" thread:

x-press

I know it seems this board gets these a lot, but perhaps this is at least a "new spin" on it:

I've told my soon-to-be wife that before we have kids, one of my dreams is to do a transatlantic on the QM2 in the next two years (roundly). She thinks that sounds fair enough (I knew there was a reason I was marrying her!).

Formal nights mean tuxes (or "black tie") for guys, I get that. Never worn one, certainly don't own one, but it sounds like fun. Sort of like a really cool halloween costume . . . ;)

It's my previously mentioned fiance I'm concerned about. As far as I know (corrections welcome), there is no equivalent to the tux rental onboard for ladies . . . understandable, but unfortunate. I doubt she has anything resembling an "evening gown" in her wardrobe; probably a nice business-y suit for one or two other, non-formal evenings.

Ladies, what would your minimum shopping list be for this trip? It's not so much a matter of money (two years to shop, I think we can swing a reasonable wardrobe), but we'd hate to drop a load of cash on outfits that an average 30-something wouldn't have any reasonable chance of wearing again. Occasions I can use to sell her on these purchases would also be appreciated (fancy restaurants, weddings . . . I'm grasping, here).

Thanks in Advance,

Jon

Jon,

If your fiance is also from Baltimore, have her look around at some consignment stores, there are bound to be some. There you will find anything from a formal evening gown to hardly used tuxedo shoes for probably cheaper than it would cost to rent. I also got a couple of really nice masks to use for our upcoming masquerade ball. Often times you can also find coupons in local circulars for these places and save even more.

Hope you enjoy your crossing. I'd recommend westbound as you get a few 25 hour days!

Morrie

... we'd hate to drop a load of cash on outfits that an average 30-something wouldn't have any reasonable chance of wearing again. Occasions I can use to sell her on these purchases would also be appreciated (fancy restaurants, weddings . . . I'm grasping, here).

Thanks in Advance,

Jon

Duh! Plan on treating yourselves to an annual sailing on QM2!

Since you have time prior to your cruise, she might find a few inexpensive gowns around New Years or prom time that she may like. Price wise, I did very well shopping in May. I purchased 2 gowns and one cocktail dress. Not overly expensive.

Jon,

Buy yourself a tux. You will be going on more Cunard voyages ;)

Also, remember that having a child is no encumberance to going Cunard. They have one of the best childrens programmes going, they are just not very well advertised. My little boy loves the nursery, and was mobbed on the gangway by one of the nursery staff when getting on QM2 on the 16th. (She knew him from the January voyage). Hours for the nursery are 9-12, 2-5 and 6-midnight.

Buying a tux is cheaper than renting. For the female perspective, you would have to ask my wife, but she is no longer allowed in these parts.

email me on jgsmuzzy@aol.com if you want any more advice.

James

Formal means long dress. Most every Cunard voyage includes a Black and White Ball. Therefore, one long black dress, nothing fancy, accessorized with jewelry which does not need to be flashy or expensive. Challenge her to be creative. Or maybe not. But one long black dress is all she really needs. EM

Originally Posted by pb82 viewpost.gif

Duh! Plan on treating yourselves to an annual sailing on QM2!

Let's walk before we run . . . :rolleyes:

That wasn't a joke! I booked my "only" "one off" "once in a lifetime" Cunard voyage two years ago... since then I've had four more voyages, yes, that "one" voyage turned out to be five voyages in two years with Cunard and there are others booked for the future... once you have experienced QM2 you'll be hooked...

Buy the dinner suit/tux (it need not cost the earth), your wife will enjoy shopping for some stunning gowns (which can be simple yet classic for very little money), you'll use them again and again...

Ladies, what would your minimum shopping list be for this trip? It's not so much a matter of money (two years to shop, I think we can swing a reasonable wardrobe), but we'd hate to drop a load of cash on outfits that an average 30-something wouldn't have any reasonable chance of wearing again. Occasions I can use to sell her on these purchases would also be appreciated (fancy restaurants, weddings . . . I'm grasping, here).

Thanks in Advance,

Jon

First of all, congratulations on choosing/considering Cunard--and as Pepper says, you'll probably get hooked...

The advice given so far regarding your formal wear is sound: you will get a better deal bringing your own tuxedo, rather than hire one on board: consider places like Sims, and shop just before the holidays, when there is likely more choice.

But let me address the ladies' version of formal wear. On a transatlantic crossing, you'll have two nights (the first and last) where dress is far more relaxed--think elegantly casual wear--and one, probably just about in the middle, where a cocktail dress is appropriate (think "little black dress"). That leaves three (or four, depending on the year of your crossing) where your fiancee might consider, at the least, one long formal skirt, with various dressy tops. The skirt needs not be made of heavy material, and neither do the tops: they can be accessorized quite easily with a variety of necklaces/earrings/brooches and the like. Some wear long flowy slacks/palazzo pants, again with different tops. For long dresses, I tend to shop in summer, as I am more likely to find dresses in lightweight material, and a better choice of colors, so as to reduce the weight in the luggage when/if flying in either direction.

Hope this helps--do let us know what you ultimately choose to do, and don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Happy sailings...

Why do men persist in wearing wing collared shirts with an adjustable bow tie? Do they not know how horrible it looks with all those tatty bits of metal showing? Why do they not consult either

(a) A Partner who will tell them lovingly but firmly that they look bloody ridiculous.

or

(b) The front desk and DEMAND that their cabin be supplied with a mirror immediately so that they may see for themselves just how bloody ridiculous they look.

Gari

One Ballgown

One Little Black Dress

Four or Five Social Seperates Pieces - One or two Bottoms (Skirt and/or Pants), two or three tops.

Done and Done. And all reusable for cruises, dining out, weddings, resort wear, etc.

It wasn't that simple for me. But I was on a thirteen day cruise, so that may have been part of my problem.

Why do men persist in wearing wing collared shirts?
Fixed that for you.

Personally, I have the British viewpoint in that a wing collar should only be worn with white tie. I'm aware that in the americas black tie and wing collar is acceptable, but the "ring around the collar" look makes my teeth hurt. :D

It wasn't that simple for me. But I was on a thirteen day cruise, so that may have been part of my problem.
Yes, my list is for a 6 or 7 day TA on QM2. QE2 is a little more formal though I think it could have been done with the same list, and a 13 day trip would involve rewearing so I'd probably up the ballgown count to 2, the lbd to 2, and add one or more tops for the seperates.

The term "ballgown" has been known to induce the vapors in many a cruiser, not to mention visions of poofy (sp?), crinolined, or similarly packing-resistant skirts, hence my suggestion of a long skirt or flowy pants...

But then, too, I let no airline dictate how many suitcases I shall have them transport...

Yes, my list is for a 6 or 7 day TA on QM2. QE2 is a little more formal though I think it could have been done with the same list, and a 13 day trip would involve rewearing so I'd probably up the ballgown count to 2, the lbd to 2, and add one or more tops for the seperates.

But Buddy, I believe there were four formal, five semi formal, and four elegant casual on my cruise. But when we got there they had changed to four formal, six semi formal and three elegant casual. I brought four formal gowns, because no lady wants to wear the same gown again. And I don't seem to be creative with mix and match. I believe the mix and match was used more for the semi formal, which also calls for a cocktail dress, you know.

please, I know the pre-tied B-T induces vapours, but let it go! My beloved has now a pre-tied and a "proper" tie. I don't care which he wears - he will look wonderful in either and I want him to feel great too. No-one has a go at women wearing the wrong shoes, or whatever - if we can get our lovely guys into tuxedos, I'm not that bothered about the formation of the tie!

please, I know the pre-tied B-T induces vapours, but let it go! My beloved has now a pre-tied and a "proper" tie. I don't care which he wears - he will look wonderful in either and I want him to feel great too. No-one has a go at women wearing the wrong shoes, or whatever - if we can get our lovely guys into tuxedos, I'm not that bothered about the formation of the tie!

Does anybody know where we left the keel-hauling equipment?

Gari

A long black dress does triple duty. Pair it with a chiffon shawl and simple jewelry, then glitzy necklace and earrings

another time and it will look like a different dress. A dressy jacket for a third wearing and you have it made. All of these items can we re-worn in an everyday dressup setting. I also like the idea of a long skirt and different tops. After 20+ cruises I've learned to take one suitcase of clothes and an empty one for shopping. Sometimes I even get the empty one packed in the suitcase.

A long black dress does triple duty. Pair it with a chiffon shawl and simple jewelry, then glitzy necklace and earrings

another time and it will look like a different dress. A dressy jacket for a third wearing and you have it made. All of these items can we re-worn in an everyday dressup setting. I also like the idea of a long skirt and different tops.

Yes, I'd say hubby will look splendid in the above!

I brought four formal gowns, because no lady wants to wear the same gown again.
Well, some ladies are more concerned with just being appropriate as opposed to being a fashion icon. The latter need no advice I can give - they know quite well what they're doing. :D

On the other hand, I travel with a lady where just getting her into a dress is a victory. She'd be far more confortable in dust encrusted kahkis and a tilley hat in a war zone than in a ballgown aboard a Cunard cruise.

Archived