Bar Set Up - Interesting - Is this true?

dd@sea

We did a back to back on the Voyager last year from Barcelona and then across the Atlantic - a seven and nine day cruise. A wonderful trip except the "Big Band" theme did not materialize as many of the band member's luggage and music did not make it to the departure port for the nine day cruise. Not until we got to Bermuda did it arrive - allowing for one day of full entertainment by the band. For the 16 days total we had a bar set up two times. Now we are on an RSSC cruise for 19 days. In requesting the bar set up, we were told there would be only a one time set up. I guess we are in quandry and would appreciate any input on this. Is this standard? Thank you.

That is correct- you will get a one time setup of one liter of premium liquor per person. Basically, we just pack our own for the balance of the cruise. We use 1.75 plastic bottles. Unlike most mainstream and low end lines, they will not confiscate it.

dd@sea,

Is the 19 day itinerary one cruise or a back to back? That may be the difference in the bar set up. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that you would get a bar set up for each leg of a back to back but only one set up on a single voyage, no matter how long.

Where are you stopping along the way? I'm in full agreement with Neviboy, there's no need to bring your own if you can pick it up duty free and/or very inexpensively at certain ports. Radisson doesn't mind if you bring bottles on board from every port, that's part of their charm. We purchased wine at all 9 stops in Italy on my September cruise, and didn't even put it in a bag, just carried it on board, even scanned it at security! Why pack more than necessary?

Charlene

We will be doing the 19 day South America on the Mariner around the Cape, preceded by a 7 day trip to Lima-Machu Pichu-Cuzco, and then followed by a four night in Buenos Aires and Iguasu Falls. I have no idea about purchasing liquor in the area of Lima etc. But then our motto is "Where there is a will - there is a way." Fortunately, I speak a limited Spanish - enough to get around. We will find it. Thank you for your input. Maybe we will become Mojito fans.

I remember that they have some liquor aboard in the shop (Scotch and Vodka as I remember) on the ship! Never had to buy any, so I don't know whether the prices are good.

I am going to be in Norway for a 14 day cruise, so we will only get a one-time bar set-up if it is not a b2b? I guess Vodka purchased in a port in Norway is rather inexpensive.

Just be aware that everything in Norway is very expensive. We were there last year and stopped at a cafe for a drink (it was a very hot day). We had two small beers and it cost us the equivalent of £10 ($17.50)!!

Incidentally, they don't have the Euro in Norway. The currency is the Kroner.

Archived