US Air Changes Depature Times from Anchorage for 2009

WalleyeLJ

As of last night, the only flight time out of Anchorage on US Air was 7:30am, which was going to work out great for our return home, at roughtly $850pp. Well this morning, the price dropped almost in half, which was GREAT news. However, now the only departure that's available is at the lovely hour of 1:55am! While I'm glad to save the money, I really don't want to book it if they're going to change times again or add another flight at a better departure time, but paying have the price it was yesterday is very tempting. For those who have traveled to Alaska using US Air before, is this a normal change or something new with fuel costs and less people flying? Any advice or theories are welcome!

L.J.

I am taking my fourth trip to Alaska next May, and everytime we have flown out of Anchorage at about 11pm. This time we are flying home from Seattle and that is at 10:45pm. I booked it last July for around 508pp. This was flying from Syracuse, NY to Anchorage and then from Seattle WA back to Syracuse. I figured at that price I better take it no matter what time I flew out.

A bargain? Were I you, I'd grab it. Here's what happened to us with Delta... and I'm sure all airlines do some form of this....

We booked a 9am departure vs. a 2am departure on the same day. The 9am departure was about $25pp more, but it suited us better, so we paid the extra cost.

A couple of weeks before our trip Delta calls/emails that the 9am departure is off the books, we will be departing at 2am.

So, we paid premium for a decent departure time and still ended up with the sorry departure time.:rolleyes:

We chalked it up to a lesson learned, hope our experience can give you food for thought!:)

The majority of flights out of ANC leave late at night. With time changes to the East Coast, leaving late at night allows an arrival at a decent hour, when airports are open and fully operational. IF you leave ANC between noon and about 2 and are flying to NYC, you arrive at 0 dark thirty. FEW people want to arrive that time of night. And the flight crew sure doesn't.

IF you can get a US flight at 1/2 price from other flights, what are you waiting for????? IF they change the time for your new flight MORE than 90 minutes, you are allowed a FREE change to another flight.

The majority of flights out of ANC leave late at night. With time changes to the East Coast, leaving late at night allows an arrival at a decent hour, when airports are open and fully operational. IF you leave ANC between noon and about 2 and are flying to NYC, you arrive at 0 dark thirty. FEW people want to arrive that time of night. And the flight crew sure doesn't.

IF you can get a US flight at 1/2 price from other flights, what are you waiting for????? IF they change the time for your new flight MORE than 90 minutes, you are allowed a FREE change to another flight.

You're absolutely correct. The Anchorage airport is busiest for flights going to the Lower 48, between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I have to agree - take the unfavorable flight at the great rate. Next, consider the flight time as favorable. We booked an 11:50 pm flight home and figured it was a way to have a whole day for sightseeing without the extra cost of lodging for that night. So not only are you getting a great rate but you would save additional lodging $ too. If it's 1:55am, I'd consider doing the 1:55 am flight the NEXT day.

ANC is way out on the skinny branches of most airlines' route structures. Flying there from a midwest hub ties up an aircraft for 10+ hours and many of the passengers are flying on discounted leisure fares. The way it becomes profitable is keeping an aircraft in the air instead of having it sit overnight somewhere. By departing a hub around 8-10pm local time, on the ground in ANC for 1-2 hours around midnight, they can return to the hub around 8-10am. This is also good timing for passengers to and from ANC to connect thru the hub. They also carry freight and mail and a 757 can make money with a full cargo hold even with some seats empty.

The exception to all this is Alaska Airlines, who have frequent flights between ANC and SEA.

Archived