Rum Point

JMS920

We will be on the Conquest leaving NO on Dec. 5. Our plan was to go to Rum point, for the beach....however, I don't know if the ferry is up and running....does anyone know this or how to get the info. Thanks for the help!

JoAnn

JoAnn,

Have you considered renting a car and driving there? I checked with Orbitz.com and found a full sized car to rent for the day for $50. We've been to Grand Cayman many times and the roads are good once you get used to driving on the left side. Good Luck

We rented the cheapest car from www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com for $43 for the day. They pick you up at the blue iguana, about 3 blocks to the right from the pier. They take you to their airport location, about a 5-10 minute drive to pick up your car. We were last off the minivan, and all the cheapest cars were gone. Darnit. We got a free upgrade to a jeep! Loving that! :p

We drove the east side....saw the blowholes, the wreck of 10 sails, some awesome beachfront properties/mansions and ended up at rum point. We booked a glass bottom boat stingray snorkel trip from rum point out to the stingray sandbar through red sail sports. Rum Point is actually closer to stingray sandbar than georgetown...takes about 15 minutes versus 45 from georgetown. It was great! I would definitely recommend rum point to anyone wanting a secluded beach with no chair hogging. They also had shops/outdoor cafes, a nice bathroom/shower/changing room. Definitely worth the trip!:D

We are planning on renting a car and driving.Any ideas as to how long it may take from the pier? We have some children ages 11-15 with us.Would this be a good place to take them for some swimming/snorkeling away from the cruise ship?

If you take the long way around, about an hour. If you take the short way around, 30-45 minutes. Really it all depends on how many stops you make. We stopped to see several sights and took the long way around to get there...and it was about an hour. Trip back we took the shortcut, and it was only 30 minutes.

Nativeway is now doing an all day tour which includes Rum Point Beach. Includes stingray sandbar, barrier reef and rum point beach for $50 including "generous picnic lunch, food for stingrays and plenty of beverages." The trip is 5 hours and departs at 8:30 a.m. (central time). I assume this would be 9:30 a.m. ship time and returns 1:30 p.m. (2:30 ship time). To me, sounds like a great deal!! Check out their website at http://www.nativewaywatersports.com - have been to GC a couple of time but never been on the east side...to me, this is the best of all worlds and don't have to worry about driving...wouldn't mind but the driving on the left doesn't seem like much fun!!

Archived