Review ! Golden Princess 10-24-04 "Motley Crewsers" return. Chapter 1

CRUISAYEAR

Funny. . .we think alike. After reading the Costa Rica boards, I did ask for him personally and he responded "I will be your tour guide, god willing." I hope that god's on our side.:D

Hey, what are your recommendations for Grand Cayman and Jamaica. . .we've never been to these ports either. I am leaning towards Nativeway in GC and Orville Taylor in Jamaica. . .

Not a real big fan of Grand Cayman. Been there several times. Overpriced shopping, and usually too many ships in port at one time, making for big crowds.
Were last there a couple of years ago. If you like snorkling, when you get off the pier, walk to the right on the first street. Go down 5 or 6 blocks, and on the right is a place who's name I have forgotten. But it has a bar right on the water and a picnic area. They rent snorkle equipment for a nominal fee, and you snorkle right there on the reef. They have a changing booth, and lockers to rent for a few bucks to put your clothes in. A fresh water shower is provided also. A fun and inexpensive thing to do close to the ship.
The biggest attractions are the biggest ripoffs if you do them through the ship. Trust me ! skip the "turtle farm" and the trip to "Hell" which is a souvenier shop who's parking lot overlooks a half acre patch of exposed dried coral formations. Waste of time.
The "Turtle Farm" makes much of their raising green sea turtles for release into the ocean. They are swimming around in filthy water in tanks the size of backyard pools, overcrowded. It is sad sight to see, and the truth of the operation is that most of them wind up as soup!
The Stingray trips with Capt. Marvin seem like the thing to do there. Could not convince DW to do this with me, so I have not done it, but from all my research it looks like lots of fun. Save big bucks by not booking this through the ship. Capt. Marvin has his own booth right at the end of the pier where you can sign up for the trip. You'll save 50%. There are other outfits which do these trips also. Check the ports board.
You can also rent motorscooters and go zipping all over the island if you are adventurous that way. Some risk involved though. They drive on the left. Traffic heavy in town.
Jamaica ! Cool place! are you stopping in Montego Bay, or Ocho Rios ? Let me know. I have toured both and have saved the business cards of the drivers we had. Both were great.
Warning ! an Island scam perpetrated on folks doing their own walking tour is where a person will talk you into letting them be your personal guide. You will see a lot more with them but they will charge you dearly for it ! These are not places to trust people like this. We fell for this, and it turned out OK, but we did not feel safe. Plus our guide was obviously under the influence of their favorite local herb. You WILL be offered this stuff by some one ! Beware ! Vendors are quite persistant no matter what they are selling. Say "no Irie mon" with a smile and move along.
We did a booze cruise near Dunn's river falls and enjoyed it, got to snorkle too.

Don't miss the stingrays.
The first time to Cayman, it really didn't interest me at all.
Then, after reading these boards, decided it was THE thing to do.
I'm somewhat timid in the water:o, but loved this tour.

We hadn't planned ahead and just took a tour with the locals at the pier...1/2 the price of ships tour...the refreshments were nothing I wanted, but the day was great! Being so close to the stringrays in GREAT!!

Thanks for the great tips. . ."hell" and the turtle farm do sound like a rip off. . .we went to see the ostrich farm in Aruba which was really great. I had been thinking that maybe the turtle farm would have been cool too. However, I don't enjoy seeing animals in poor condition or the thought of them being eaten.:eek:

In Jamaica we will be in Ochos Rios. . .any recommendations would be appreciated. . .

DoreenD,
Definitely do the Stingray City snorkel! It's one of the most wonderful things I have ever done! They're just gorgeous! We went on a boat with about 20 other passengers. I can't remember the company, but the boat was Emerald Eyes and they were just fabulous. They took our pictures with the rays, etc. The boat was super-clean and they even had bar service on the way back. It was just lovely!!!
I'm not an outdoorsy girl at all, and I'd still do it in just a half a heartbeat! Go for it!!

Oh, that's in Grand Cayman, by the way. I just wandered the streets in Ochos Rios. I didn't like it much, as my husband looks about 20 years old, so all the vendors kept wanting to sell him pot! I kept telling him he needed to ditch the goatee! It's lookin' like Shaggy that gets you in trouble... :)

Thanks Emily. . .Have you been to the Bahamas? We were approached by everyone it seemed to buy pot, have our hair braided and to take a private tour. . .and we look like the middle aged adults that we are;) . I think that we will use a tour guide in Jamaica. We've been in correspondence with Orville Taylor and hopefully that will help us keep the pot sellers away!:D

We have been to Grand Cayman twice and both times we went on "Captain Marvins" snorkel and stingray city tour. It was great both times and I highly recommend them. The price is cheaper, you're only in a group of about 15-20. Their website is [url]www.captainmarvins.com[/url].

Hey Doreen ! Ocho Rios will be fun ! Here is the fellow I recommend, have gone with him twice. Great guy.
Rainford Johnson (nickname johono)
(876) 974-7303 (HOME)
(876) 838-8789 (CELL PHONE)
(876) 393-0315 (OTHER CELL PHONE)
E-MAIL [email]rjohono@hotmail.com.jm[/email]

Good safe driver, nice clean van with nice cold air-conditioning !
If your going to go to Dunns River falls he can get you there and in a lot cheaper than the ships tours. If shopping, he will stay right by you both if you request it, and shoo away people hawking stuff. He knows EVERYBODY.

CRUISAYEAR,

Thanks for the recommendation. Now I know who we will use. You have a penchant for chosing your tours well! Son and I were going to go ziplining but he herniated a disk in his back so that is no longer an option. Did you stop in and spend any time at Margaritaville?

[quote name='Missybud']CRUISAYEAR,

Thanks for the recommendation. Now I know who we will use. You have a penchant for chosing your tours well! Son and I were going to go ziplining but he herniated a disk in his back so that is no longer an option. Did you stop in and spend any time at Margaritaville?[/QUOTE]

Lana, how the heck are you?!!! What cruise are you taking this time around? I hope you've been doing well.

Carolyn & Steve (part of the motley crusiers 10/24/04 Golden)

Posted to "Camp Carolyn," where I hope the weather is always warm...

Good to hear from you. We have had a most yucky winter for SC. Will be on the Star in April (10th) for the Western Caribbean itinerary. Have done this a couple of times before and try to do something different with each sailing. Do plan to swim with the rays again though. Such a unique experience. Youngest son and his Bride will be joining us.

Please tell me which Med cruise date you are sailing. Two groups from here are booked. At first they were going to do a land tour and I declined to go and then they booked the Grand after I had made other plans. The 'dirty rats...'. We are also booked on the Sun for January 7th, 2006, Southern again as I really like that itinerary and I want to be warm! Hoping to round up a contingent of the Motley Cruisers for the Sun. Really enjoy the 10 day+ cruises. So layed back. Anyway, keep the Sun in mind for next year and don't forget to make your FCC on your Med cruise, they are such a good deal!

Steve & I are going on the Golden again on July 11 out of Southampton, England. It goes to Oslo, Copenhagen, Le Havre France, Rotterdam, Hamburg, and Brugges. We're spending 3 nights in London prior to the crusie. We're really looking forward to it as our the kids, so Camp Carolyn will be in Europe this summer!
I fogot you were on the Star, my parents will be sailing on her the week prior to you! Enjoy the cruise, I love the western Caribbean.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
cruisayear,
great review on the natural pool. I know you wrote this awhile ago, but I hope you see this to answer some concerns I have. We are sailing the golden 11/05/05. Going to Aruba and rented a 4x4 jeep.. Will we be able to drive to the natural pool? Thats one place I want to see! Any place else to see in Aruba would also be great.
Thanks, Donna

• 2 months later...

Archived