Rental Car

mecarroll

Hello all,

My DW and I will be going on our second cruise Sept 09. The first one was out of Norfolk, VA and since we live in VA, we just drove the 30 minute drive to the pier.

For this one, we will be flying down a day early and we plan on renting a car. I've seen various posts and heard of people renting a car at Orlando International and returning it at Port Canaveral. Is this in fact possible and if so, where is the return counter at. Will there be a shuttle from the rental car return to our pier or will we have to take a taxi?

Any help will be appreciated!

Welcome to cruisecritic!

Have you cruised yet?ou said Sept.'09 but your message said posted yesterday. It is a LONG way from Orlando to Port Canaveral. Where are you staying? I'd suggest you stay in Port Canaveral at the Radison, quite a very nice hotel with free shuttle to and from the port. (There are so many cruisers there, you have to make a reservation for their shuttle!) Rent the car there. You can explore Cape Canaverala and the Space Center. You can search here for best way to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando - I've seen a lot of answers to that question here.

CRUISE LINES

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

NCL

Celebrity

Princess

Costa

Yes, it is possible and easy. We used Avis, but there are other rental companies that allow one-way rentals between Orlando and Canaveral. It was super easy. We stopped first at the port to check our luggage and then drove to the Avis location about 10 minutes away. They shuttled us back to the port. We did the reverse when we disembarked. No hassle, no fuss.

I disagree about renting the car in Canaveral because you still have to get from Orlando to Canaveral, and I don't know of any method that's less expensive than renting a car. You could take a commercial shuttle or limo, but that's going to be expensive (esp the limo). We looked into limo service from the airport to WDW, then WDW to the port, then the port back to the airport. The total (about 5 years ago) was something like $400+ for the four of us. We did two one-way rentals (got a mini-van) for $100 total (incl taxes). Plus we had the convenience of going where and when we wanted to, including spending the day post-cruise in the Canaveral area.

Rent a car at the airport and then you can either stay in Orlando or head right over to Canaveral and have your pre-cruise time there. With only 1 day, I do agree that you should stay in Canaveral, go to the Space Center (if you would enjoy it), explore the area a bit. (If you like shrimp, try Dixie Crossroads in Titusville...Yum.) The next day, you can head to the port, check your luggage, and then drop the car and get a (free) shuttle from the rental car company back to the port. Piece of cake.

beachchick

We rented a car in Orlando and drove to Port Canaveral. Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites - much cheaper but great hotel than any other options. Took car to rental agency early am and they shuttled us to the port - we were in the ship in no time. Much quicker than the hotel shuttles. This the way to go.

There is only one main road and a couple tolls - very easy drive.

Also, check out East Coast Departure thread and click on Florida Departures at the top.

Then find the "I work in Port Canaveral" thread - - tons of informaiton there.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Archived