Naples on our own

Just back and we decided to go alone. Glad we did! We received a general map from Princess which really was detailed enough. Once we go to the terminal there was an information desk and we received a very detailed map. We just wanted to walk around and take in the city, along with a Pizza Marguerita! We ended up at the oldes Pizzeria "Brandi on Salita S. Anna di Palazzo, corner of via Chiaia. The girl that give you the map will mark it off. Very easy. They opened for lunch at 12:30 and it was the best pizza and salad we had. You can ask for the balcony table. We sat there above the side street and watched the world go by. It was fun just walking the streets and getting the flavor of the city.

Had a great time!

DH & I just returned from Carnival's 12-day Grand Mediterranean Cruise, which stopped in Naples. My husband and I spent 10 days in Positano, Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, etc, etc a few years back, so this time, we wanted to see some of Naples (having only switched trains there en route to Sorrento in the past).

Although we had to forego our trip to Il Museo Archeologico ****onale di Napoli because we had no luggage (and we needed to hunt for clothing instead), we had a BLAST in Naples!

We walked along the many streets and sat around a piazza or two, talking to the locals (I am studying Italian but I am not fluent). The locals were funny, gracious and lovely!

We bought some clothes from street mongers, ate at a GREAT pizzeria (can't recall the name of the pizzeria AND I accidentally deleted most of my photos of Naples, which couldn't be recovered) :( and just walked around Naples, having a really great time, taking in all the sites.

Crossing streets was NOT that bad, as you just go with the flow along with the locals. I LOVED Naples 'cause it was filled with regular Italians and not lots & lots of tourists (like many other Italian cities). Frankly, Florence was my least favorite spot due to the masses of tourists and the commercialization of the city.

DH & I are going to do Carnival's Italy/Turkey/Greece cruise in October '09 and we want to try the Museo Archeologico once again! Hopefully, we'll get our luggage this time :D

Thanks for the post!

Toni Lee

Wonderful feedback -- thank you! We will be in Naples next August and plan to just walk around the city and savour the food and sights including the Museo Archeologico (we were in Pompeii last summer).

Appreciate the tip about where to find a good detailed map and love your lunch recommendation.

Thanks

Kathy:)

Archived