Need Ideas for Surprise Cruise for Hubby's 40th

First, let me say that I never believed I could find such a cool, fun group of people online. I don't get to log on every day, and I love catching up on everyone's goings on when I do. You guys have information on EVERYthing, and great ideas to boot.

That brings me to pose this question. Our first cruise is in December. It's a surprise for Hubby's 40th birthday. We're leaving November 29 from Little Rock and driving to Mobile. We leave out on the Holiday December 1 for 5 days to Cozumel and Calica. At this point he knows absolutely nothing. I was planning on getting him up Saturday morning (I always get up before him) after I have our vehicle packed and telling him we're going for a drive and then springing Mobile on him later but telling him we're just staying a day or two. I'm trying to think of a cool, creative way to make the whole trip down there fun. I was toying around with a scavenger hunt or something, but I haven't been able to develop anything beyond that. Any ideas?:confused:

Maybe breakfast in bed the day you leave, with a card full of clues/riddles. Maybe you could go to a party or dollar store and get colorful lei and have that and sunglasses on when you serve him breakfast in bed. I would even be willing to mail you one of our plastic Carnival cups.....maybe serve an "umbrella drink" too.

This is a great place to ask advice....I bet you get LOTS of great ideas! Have a wonderful cruise and welcome to the boards!

WOW,,,lucky guy!!! I have always wanted to do this!!!!!!!!! I could just never figure out how to get my husband's work to give him a week off without telling him,,,,,

How'd you manage that one???

I like the clue idea,,,but I'd wrap them up individually, and hand them to him one at a time on the way to the port :) with a toy boat or a carnival glass in the last one, maybe :) Make him sufferrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!(just kidding)

Don't forget to get a certified copy of his BC, and make sure he has his DL (check his wallet and make sure he has it!) unless he already has a passport :) Holly

WOW,,,lucky guy!!! I have always wanted to do this!!!!!!!!! I could just never figure out how to get my husband's work to give him a week off without telling him,,,,,

How'd you manage that one???

I like the clue idea,,,but I'd wrap them up individually, and hand them to him one at a time on the way to the port :) with a toy boat or a carnival glass in the last one, maybe :) Make him sufferrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!(just kidding)

Don't forget to get a certified copy of his BC, and make sure he has his DL (check his wallet and make sure he has it!) unless he already has a passport :) Holly

I'm liking the clue idea--I also love the suggestion of Biloxi/Gulfport. We're leaving early Saturday morning, so we'll be in Mobile Saturday afternoon late (it's about 9 hours from here, and we have two small children and my sister going with us).

I talked to his boss after I arranged the whole thing and he agreed to let him off, but then I ultimately had to come up with a way for him to decide to take that week off himself anyway. He was doing his best to derail me and planning vacation time before the year ran out. I finally told him it was the week of his birthday and we had lots going on (our youngest has a birthday only two days earlier) and that it would be a great way for us to have some time off before the holidays. We're both managers, and we both try to let our employees have off around the holidays when we can, which means we end up working a lot. That did it. He says he's sure I have something cooked up, but he has no idea what. I put the whole thing on my sisters credit card and have been "money laundering" every way I can think of to pay her back. Finally got the blooming thing paid off! He thinks we won't have any money to do anything that week we're off, so I told him we'd just go to a couple of movies and have lunch. He either really doesn't suspect, or he's playing me like a fiddle!

Never been to Biloxi or Gulfport. My sister has been once, and she said we're just a couple of hours from lots of stuff. Maybe it could start off as a gulf coast tour. . . Maybe each day could start with a hint of that day's activities (so Monday he would wake up with the Carnival stuff), but Saturday he would get a Mississippi map or something. Then Sunday we were talking about doing Dauphin Island (supposed to be fun for the kids?)? I also saw another museum on one of the other threads that's good for the kids.

Guys, tell me, would you love this as a surprise? Would it make you mad to have you wife wisk you away for the week? I want him to be happy, and to think this is really cool. I got us a Verandah suite (V2) on the Holiday. Sis is a couple of decks below us. Taking the sleeping bags so the kids can sleep in either place. I pull up the deck plans and take the virtual tour and dream. . . :rolleyes:

Maybe breakfast in bed the day you leave, with a card full of clues/riddles. Maybe you could go to a party or dollar store and get colorful lei and have that and sunglasses on when you serve him breakfast in bed. I would even be willing to mail you one of our plastic Carnival cups.....maybe serve an "umbrella drink" too.

This is a great place to ask advice....I bet you get LOTS of great ideas! Have a wonderful cruise and welcome to the boards!

If you really wouldn't mind, I'd be happy to reimburse you for postage (or send you postage ahead of time). I'm having everything related sent to my sister's house so it stays secret. Where could I e-mail you the information?

I'm liking the clue idea--I also love the suggestion of Biloxi/Gulfport. We're leaving early Saturday morning, so we'll be in Mobile Saturday afternoon late (it's about 9 hours from here, and we have two small children and my sister going with us).

I talked to his boss after I arranged the whole thing and he agreed to let him off, but then I ultimately had to come up with a way for him to decide to take that week off himself anyway. He was doing his best to derail me and planning vacation time before the year ran out. I finally told him it was the week of his birthday and we had lots going on (our youngest has a birthday only two days earlier) and that it would be a great way for us to have some time off before the holidays. We're both managers, and we both try to let our employees have off around the holidays when we can, which means we end up working a lot. That did it. He says he's sure I have something cooked up, but he has no idea what. I put the whole thing on my sisters credit card and have been "money laundering" every way I can think of to pay her back. Finally got the blooming thing paid off! He thinks we won't have any money to do anything that week we're off, so I told him we'd just go to a couple of movies and have lunch. He either really doesn't suspect, or he's playing me like a fiddle!

Never been to Biloxi or Gulfport. My sister has been once, and she said we're just a couple of hours from lots of stuff. Maybe it could start off as a gulf coast tour. . . Maybe each day could start with a hint of that day's activities (so Monday he would wake up with the Carnival stuff), but Saturday he would get a Mississippi map or something. Then Sunday we were talking about doing Dauphin Island (supposed to be fun for the kids?)? I also saw another museum on one of the other threads that's good for the kids.

Guys, tell me, would you love this as a surprise? Would it make you mad to have you wife wisk you away for the week? I want him to be happy, and to think this is really cool. I got us a Verandah suite (V2) on the Holiday. Sis is a couple of decks below us. Taking the sleeping bags so the kids can sleep in either place. I pull up the deck plans and take the virtual tour and dream. . . :rolleyes:

I'm not a guy, and I know you asked guys specifically, but I can tell you that I personally would LOVE it :) I'm sure many guys would feel the same way :) Unless he's specified that he hates cruises, water, the caribbean, or vacations in general, I think you're golden,,,,

lol,,,love the "money laundering" thing,,,,,your'e a smart cookie :) Holly

First, let me say that I never believed I could find such a cool, fun group of people online. I don't get to log on every day, and I love catching up on everyone's goings on when I do. You guys have information on EVERYthing, and great ideas to boot.

That brings me to pose this question. Our first cruise is in December. It's a surprise for Hubby's 40th birthday. We're leaving November 29 from Little Rock and driving to Mobile. We leave out on the Holiday December 1 for 5 days to Cozumel and Calica. At this point he knows absolutely nothing. I was planning on getting him up Saturday morning (I always get up before him) after I have our vehicle packed and telling him we're going for a drive and then springing Mobile on him later but telling him we're just staying a day or two. I'm trying to think of a cool, creative way to make the whole trip down there fun. I was toying around with a scavenger hunt or something, but I haven't been able to develop anything beyond that. Any ideas?:confused:

I attempted this for my boyfriend on his 40th. I ultimately failed but only because he got the vacation/cruise bug before his birthday arrived and tried to book a cruise himself. So, I had to go to his place and tell him we were celebrating his birthay early and spring it on him them.

The orginal plan included the deck outside decorated with balloons (white, pearl and blue), tons of candles in hurricane glasses, streamers and ropes, serve him a surf and turf style dinner and I had clues in big white makeshift envelopes to stand in the garden (trimed in blue and tied with rope - I was going for a nautical theme!). BUT, here's the part that made ME laught he most: I made an iPod playlist FULL of songs about oceans, islands, sailing, vacations that I wanted to play the entire time I was cooking and preparing. It had everything from Eddie Money (Two Tickets to Paradise) to Dolly Parton (Islands in the Stream - this one may have given me away quickly as I would have doubled over laughing at his reaction to this one).

Since you're wanting to keep it a secret until the day you sail maybe you could set up an iPod or burn a cd or two full of songs about sailing and play it on that 9 hour drive. It may throw him off a bit but it could be funny to see his reaction to your music selection and to see if he puts two and two together.

We have just done a surprise box for my MIL, bit of background - we live in Michigan now, they are in England, they haven't seen their grandchildren in 2 1/2 years, she will be turning 70 on the 12th Nov.

I had been planning this since June, what we sent in the box was -

a Carnival bag we bought on our last cruise

Carnival DVD (the free information one)

Carnival cup

I started her a photo album, the first 3 pictures were of our destinations

Carnival sunvisor

family cruise t-shirt we had made (we will all be wearing them when we board)

travel documents

I wraped each thing seperately and put in loads of shiny stars and confetti from the party store. She was allowed to open the box last weekend while we had the phone on speaker, it took her a while to figure out what was going on but then she was so overwhelmed that she couldn't speak, she called us bag the following morning when everything had sunk in.

I know this is different to your situation but I wanted to share.

I am sure your hubby will love whatever you do for him, at the end of the day he is getting to spend quality time with his family - what is better than that?

You can also pre-order birthday decorations for the cabin, and they will be set up before you even get on board. Also, make a CD of cruise music to listen to as you get closer to the port.

As far as clues - What about nick naming the family for the trip. Your husband can be Skipper, you can be Marrianne or Ginger, and then the kids can be 2 of the other characters.

I would say I have one more surprise for you and blindfold him and drive to the port and get as far as you can with him blindfolded.

Maybe drop some hints along the way.. Or the night you are there before the cruise eat dinner at someplace that would remind you of cruising such as a fish restaurant or a tropical theme restaurant

If you really wouldn't mind, I'd be happy to reimburse you for postage (or send you postage ahead of time). I'm having everything related sent to my sister's house so it stays secret. Where could I e-mail you the information?

foley dot gail @gmail.com

I attempted this for my boyfriend on his 40th. I ultimately failed but only because he got the vacation/cruise bug before his birthday arrived and tried to book a cruise himself. So, I had to go to his place and tell him we were celebrating his birthay early and spring it on him them.

The orginal plan included the deck outside decorated with balloons (white, pearl and blue), tons of candles in hurricane glasses, streamers and ropes, serve him a surf and turf style dinner and I had clues in big white makeshift envelopes to stand in the garden (trimed in blue and tied with rope - I was going for a nautical theme!). BUT, here's the part that made ME laught he most: I made an iPod playlist FULL of songs about oceans, islands, sailing, vacations that I wanted to play the entire time I was cooking and preparing. It had everything from Eddie Money (Two Tickets to Paradise) to Dolly Parton (Islands in the Stream - this one may have given me away quickly as I would have doubled over laughing at his reaction to this one).

Since you're wanting to keep it a secret until the day you sail maybe you could set up an iPod or burn a cd or two full of songs about sailing and play it on that 9 hour drive. It may throw him off a bit but it could be funny to see his reaction to your music selection and to see if he puts two and two together.

That's a great one!!! It's funny I hadn't thought about music, because I usually turn to it for most occasions. My sister has a ton of stuff already on disk, so it should be easy to find some good ones! Thanks for the tip!

I have a similiar story that may help. It will be alittle long but will have great ideas for you.

I planned a surprise 40th birthday party for my wife last October. We went on the Miracle out of New York on a two day Cruise to Nowhere.

I actually called alot of freinds and family and asked if they would like to be a part of the celebration and we devised a group of 15. (Moms/Dads, siblings, cousins, Aunts, and friends) I just told every one to just keep it a secret from her and any questions had to go through me but only on my cell phone during business hours.

I told my wife that I was Taking her to New York for her birthday for a couple of days (luckily the cruise left on her birthday). I told her that I booked a room with a view of the New York Harbor (Balcony stateroom). I told her that we wod uld be going to a nice restuarant on the water(not a lie) and that we were going to see some shows (again not a lie). She was all for it and was actually really excited.

I had planned with my brother a scavenger hunt style exercise that involved sending DeAnna all over the ship. At each location was a member of the family with the next clue. It was great we sent her up and down, forward and aft, port and starboard. The clues were all in riddle format and all had referances to something in her life that we were able to coincide with an area or room of the ship. It was fantastic! I still have all the riddles if you would like some help!

Also after being on cruise critic everyday and on the roll call for this ship....soo many people were expecting to see our group and everyone was wishing DeAnna a Happy Birthday. She had no idea how they knew her name but I explained later.

Anyway this is how it went. We drove to New York from Philly and when we got down by the water she saw the ship and was saying that would be cool and that she wished that we could plan a cruise for the following summer. When she said that I handed her the luggage tags that had to be filled out. they said Carnival Miracle. She immediately thought I was lying and told me to shut up! But as we pulled closer to the ship she saw that it was indeed the Carnival Miracle and started to hyperventalate because she had no clothes! (I had packed her a seperate bag that she did not know about).

Now the hard part--We arrived at 11:00 in hopes to be onboard by 12:30-1pm. The family was told to arrive after 1pm. We sat and waited at the pier and as 1pm approached I started to get text messsages that the rest of the crew was here. So I quick conned my way into VIP boarding and we were on by 1:20pm. I now had to keep away from the rest of the crew that was boarding. (we had established "no fly zones" and safe spots throughout the ship so as to avoid contact. Around 3:00pm my brother texted her with the first riddle and she was like HUH? She played alond and when we arrived at a room she knocked three times and out comes my brother, sister-in-law, and a friend. They were all wearing bright orange T-Shirts that said Floatin into Forty--"DeAnna's Fabulous at 40 Floating Festival! Well after the intial shock and tears she was handed her first clue and the hunt began. At each stop she was also given props to wear so by the end she looked like a clown!! It was awesone and went off withoout a hitch!

We mazed through the ship all she had was a deck plan to help her find what she was looking for. It took about an hour to get to the final destination. She was to go find the "guido on the Lido where she will be treated to an ice cold mojito" When we got to the Lido deck her brother was at the bar! Well she lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to boot...about 200 people were standing around singing happy birthday to her because all the people from the roll call were there per my request and her brother had talked everyone around into staying and singing to her! We all had t-shirts on she was dressed up with a tiara, sache, wig, beads, big glasses so on and so on.

She was so Happy! I have never seen my wife so filled with happiness and excitement!

We all had a great time and I am sure she will never forget her 40th BDAY.

I have alot more details but this post is already way to long! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

BTW--I am not proof reading this so sorry for spelling and gramatical errors!

Act like you're leaving the hotel to go home (play the cruise music in the car after you leave the hotel.) Have him sit in the backseat and have someone in the front seat ready with a camera to capture the moment. Arrange to drive yourself and act like you're lost if he asks where you're going. Show up at the port area and park. If he doesn't pull it all together by then and say something, tell him!

Just an idea if you want to wait until the last minute. Telling him over breakfast in bed could be really fun too.

You all have pulled of some remarkable stories. I have a short one I will share with you.

In May of 2008 My girlfriend and I got engaged. We set a date for 25 July 2009. I have 3 kids from a previous marriage and they live with us in the summer time. So I booked a cruise for December of this year and gave it to her for our 1 year pre wedding gift.

I had each of my kids give her somthing different. My oldest daughter gave her a couple of roses with an envelope with the statue of Liberty (we are sailing on the Liberty) and a CD with cruise music on it like Margarittaville along with others.. She was totally confused. Then My next daughter gave her a few ballons that said Carnival on them tied to an envelop and inside the envelope was a drink umbrella and some sand. Then my 3 year old son gave her some more carnival baloons tied to an envelope with her past Sail and Sign Card and a printout of our itinerary.

I wanted to keep it a surprise but could not get her to just take the time off. I talked to her boss and she said she had to submit for it in order to get it. But she was happy and it was fun seeing the confusion on her face as my kids were giving her these gifts. I give everone Kudos for pulling off a surprise all the way up to sailing.

I have a similiar story that may help. It will be alittle long but will have great ideas for you.

I planned a surprise 40th birthday party for my wife last October. We went on the Miracle out of New York on a two day Cruise to Nowhere.

I actually called alot of freinds and family and asked if they would like to be a part of the celebration and we devised a group of 15. (Moms/Dads, siblings, cousins, Aunts, and friends) I just told every one to just keep it a secret from her and any questions had to go through me but only on my cell phone during business hours.

I told my wife that I was Taking her to New York for her birthday for a couple of days (luckily the cruise left on her birthday). I told her that I booked a room with a view of the New York Harbor (Balcony stateroom). I told her that we wod uld be going to a nice restuarant on the water(not a lie) and that we were going to see some shows (again not a lie). She was all for it and was actually really excited.

I had planned with my brother a scavenger hunt style exercise that involved sending DeAnna all over the ship. At each location was a member of the family with the next clue. It was great we sent her up and down, forward and aft, port and starboard. The clues were all in riddle format and all had referances to something in her life that we were able to coincide with an area or room of the ship. It was fantastic! I still have all the riddles if you would like some help!

Also after being on cruise critic everyday and on the roll call for this ship....soo many people were expecting to see our group and everyone was wishing DeAnna a Happy Birthday. She had no idea how they knew her name but I explained later.

Anyway this is how it went. We drove to New York from Philly and when we got down by the water she saw the ship and was saying that would be cool and that she wished that we could plan a cruise for the following summer. When she said that I handed her the luggage tags that had to be filled out. they said Carnival Miracle. She immediately thought I was lying and told me to shut up! But as we pulled closer to the ship she saw that it was indeed the Carnival Miracle and started to hyperventalate because she had no clothes! (I had packed her a seperate bag that she did not know about).

Now the hard part--We arrived at 11:00 in hopes to be onboard by 12:30-1pm. The family was told to arrive after 1pm. We sat and waited at the pier and as 1pm approached I started to get text messsages that the rest of the crew was here. So I quick conned my way into VIP boarding and we were on by 1:20pm. I now had to keep away from the rest of the crew that was boarding. (we had established "no fly zones" and safe spots throughout the ship so as to avoid contact. Around 3:00pm my brother texted her with the first riddle and she was like HUH? She played alond and when we arrived at a room she knocked three times and out comes my brother, sister-in-law, and a friend. They were all wearing bright orange T-Shirts that said Floatin into Forty--"DeAnna's Fabulous at 40 Floating Festival! Well after the intial shock and tears she was handed her first clue and the hunt began. At each stop she was also given props to wear so by the end she looked like a clown!! It was awesone and went off withoout a hitch!

We mazed through the ship all she had was a deck plan to help her find what she was looking for. It took about an hour to get to the final destination. She was to go find the "guido on the Lido where she will be treated to an ice cold mojito" When we got to the Lido deck her brother was at the bar! Well she lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to boot...about 200 people were standing around singing happy birthday to her because all the people from the roll call were there per my request and her brother had talked everyone around into staying and singing to her! We all had t-shirts on she was dressed up with a tiara, sache, wig, beads, big glasses so on and so on.

She was so Happy! I have never seen my wife so filled with happiness and excitement!

I have alot more details but this post is already way to long! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

That's an AWESOME story. You've really got me thinking. . .

You guys are all great! I'm going to talk to my dad this afternoon, too (he's a trucker and gave us a great route to drive) and see what we're going to encounter along the way. Maybe I could plan stops every couple of hours with a clue for the next location. Working on how to pull the Gulfport connection in. I'll keep everyone posted! I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's suggestions and such great stories!

GREAT SURPRISE! It made me cry!! I'm definitely cutting & pasting this one for future references.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Let me say, thanks especially to Gail811 for the great cup! My sister and I got so excited when we opened the box--you'd have thought we were getting ready to board the ship.

Here's an update on where we are:

He still doesn't know anything, and I think he doesn't suspect anything (or he's playing me like a violin!).

We're leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving, as early in the day as possible (I'm shooting for around 7:30). I have taken the map, and every 90 miles or so chose a city we could "target". I wrote 4 hints for each city, which he will receive independently in small envelopes (so if the first hint doesn't give it away, he gets three other chances). His "prize" for guessing the city will be something we'll need on the cruise, which will probably be really confusing at first--things like sunscreen, a hat, a waterproof watch, sunglasses, and then finally ending with the cup Gail sent). The hints are centered around civil war history as much as possible (he loves that stuff), or around something natural occurring in the city (Lake Village, AR, for example, has the largest Oxbow lake in the country and the largest natural lake in Arkansas).

I had seriously toyed around with not telling him until we arrived at the port, but a friend of mine at work suggested it might be fun to tell him once we get to Mobile (or let him figure it out) so he could get revved up about it the way I am, and so if he wants to check out the website or ask any questions or bring any last-minute things he can. Plus, then, he doesn't spend the weekend waiting to see what we're going to spring on him and he realizes he's on vacation; we can also not have to be covert about buying any last minute items like soda, etc. we'll want to take on the ship. We've got some stuff planned in Mobile, like Dauphin Island, or maybe a trip into Florida on Sunday.

I've been trying to order the room decorations, but Carnival's website keeps saying it can't take the order. I'll have to wait until later (when I have more "alone" time) to take care of that and call them, I guess.

Anyway, I can't believe we're less than 30 days away now. I'm so excited! I'll keep you guys posted, I promise!:D

Thanks for the update! Glad the cup arrived okay, and you are most welcome! Happy to help with a surprise anytime! Keep us posted as you can! The room decorations are a good idea, and they can do them over the phone, you just need your booking number.

Archived