Public Transportation to Beachs

cruzinwieds

At ***** they mention what beaches you can get to by bus...but no schedules or other info. DH and I may want to go this route...but we need more info. also. To me this is the way to go if you are on a budget and just want to go to the beach for few hours. These are my questions...

1.Where exactly do you catch the bus...if you want to go to Sapphire beach. Would it be the same bus stop regardless of which beach we decided on?

2.How close is the bus stop to Sapphire beach? How about Brewers Bay and Lindberg Bay (Emerald Beach)

3.Any idea how long it would take to take the bus to Sapphire beach?

4. Anyone know the schedule...or where we can find out beforehand.

Any other help would be appreciated. It would really be nice to hear from someone who has done this from a cruise ship.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

Hello Caribbean Crazy,

1.Where exactly do you catch the bus...if you want to go to Sapphire beach. Would it be the same bus stop regardless of which beach we decided on?

You'd want to catch the bus from the bus stop (an orange cement bus stop) in front of the hospital, which is roughly 5 blocks from the Havensight dock. If you were going to Emerald or Brewers it would be the bus stop close to Wendy's (just a sign on the side of the road).

2.How close is the bus stop to Sapphire beach?

There is a bus stop (just a sign on the side of the road) accross from the Sapphire Bay entrance.

How about Brewers Bay and Lindberg Bay (Emerald Beach).

Lindberg Bay; thre is a bus stop along the road (a cement bus stop), just past Nisky Center Shopping area, you would walk about 8 minutes from it to the beach/hotel. And Brewer's, you would ride as far as the bus stop by the university gym/basketball center and walk about 5 minutes to the beach.

3.Any idea how long it would take to take the bus to Sapphire beach?

Not sure. Takes about 18-20 minutes by car... I would add another 20-30 minutes for waiting, stops ect. on the bus.

4. Anyone know the schedule...or where we can find out beforehand.

Any other help would be appreciated.

http://www.*****/stthomas/getting_around_stt/

Ask people at the bus stops for help and sit close to the driver and ask him/her for help to.

--Islander

I'm Sorry Islander...but I do have one more question regarding what time to be at the bus stop. I know the schedules are not that reliable...but I would like to get a ball park on what would be a good time to go to the bus stop heading for Sapphire Beach. Our ship is scheduled to be in port by 10:00am. I'm figuring we probably won't get off the ship untill 11:00am.(If we make it off sooner great)...but I'm not going to count on it. I have been on many cruises and for one reason or another we are never the first ones off the ship.

So...do you know if the bus picks up at the stop by the hospital every hour. For example 11:00, 12:00, 1:00 etc or something else. I don't want to spend anymore time at the bus stop than I have to. So I wouldn't want to get there at 11:05 to find out the next schedule is for 12:00. I can find alot better things to do in St Thomas than standing at the bus stop for almost an hour. lol So, if you were me...and you were planning on taking the bus to Sapphire Beach (I know you probably wouldn't take a bus...you would take a cab) but...if you DID what time would you be at the bus stop according to the time I gave you that we would be off the ship. I hope I didn't make this too confusing!!

Thanks Again

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi Gang,

Did St Thomas last year on the "Paradise".

When you dock it all depends where on the pier you tie up. We were at the end.

There are dedicated parking spots for shoretour buses right at Havensight and taxis galore.

We, along with our shipmates found that it was not that expensive nor too far just to hop in a cab and negotiate a price. Even at the beaches, there are numerous cabs...just don't expect to leave the beach an hour before you sail and get a cab...everyone else is thinking the same thing.

And remember you've gotta be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing time...the stern of the ship is not a pretty sight to see especially if you're standing dockside. Ciao for now!!!

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mandie,

Depends on your starting point. If you were at the cruise ship dock in havensight you can walk to Sugar Estate, its only about 4-5 blocks... thats where the hospital is - bus stop is in front of the hospital. If you were downtown and caught the Red Hook bus then you wouldn't have to change.

I don't know of a bus stop out by Ritz, never noticed one if there is one there.

--Islander

Hello Mandie,

I am really not sure on this one. The closest one I know of is the Red Hook stop or the one at the stop light past the National Guard Armory.... there might be one just at the foot of the hill leading up to Ritz and the other resorts in that area.. next to the fruit stands.

--Islander

Archived