Road to Hana Lahania Tender 7am

firstplacechef

Greetings, we are looking at trying to get a private tour vs ship tour on the Road to Hana. Most of the tour companies I have checked on have a 6-6:45am departure and maybe 7am. Since this is a tender port I know we will not be able to get off until at least 7:45 or 8am.

We do not want a "private tour" for the 2 of us but are looking for a small group of say 12-15. Several people on our cruise (Mercury 3/15/09) are planning on booking the ship's tour and we fell that it may be a larger group.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Scott

Maybe you can get a group of 12 together in the roll call forum for your cruise, to get a whole van just for your group via one of the smaller hana tours. Then the driver will pick everyone up at one spot, do exactly what your group wants, and get you back in time for the tender.

ZIPPY, post when you get back on how you liked doing it on your own. I have heard that the driver misses a lot and I want to take it all in. Thanks!

First Place Chef -- is that a reality or a wish? I too am a chef but I don't do it for a living anymore. But all my friends want me to cater all their parties. I also cater for many NASCAR owners and teams when they race in Atlanta. It's just a hobby that makes me some $$ now.

I will. I bought a book "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" by Andrew Doughty. The book is very detailed and lists all the hot spots to stop on the way to take pics, and do things that tour busses pass by. We are real excited and looking forward to the drive.

Bob

Bob, I'm a personal chef now, but I have won my share of competitions when I was a restaurant and club chef.

I have looked at that book, but I really don't want to do the drive unless I have to and I know I will be the one driving the whole time, but I will wait to see what you think of the drive. Scott

• Administrators
Bob, I'm a personal chef now, but I have won my share of competitions when I was a restaurant and club chef.

I have looked at that book, but I really don't want to do the drive unless I have to and I know I will be the one driving the whole time, but I will wait to see what you think of the drive. Scott

Smart to see what others think, but I would add to trust your gut about how you and your party would react to this particular drive. It makes US 101 in California (or Rocking Chair Ridge in Blue Ridge, Georgia!) look tame. There are numerous one lane bridges, enormous dropoffs, hairpin turns, etc. During our trip (via van booked through www.adventuremaui.com) I bet I thought at least a dozen times how glad I was we weren't doing this on our own. Our driver was a resident of Hana and knew the road like she knew her own name -- she could say "now up here, look down when I count to 3..."

I'd read enough here in advance that I felt that my SO's driving style and my own nerves would have led to "words," at a minimum -- and this was our anniversary celebration! :) There are places on the Road to Hana where there is literally nothing between your vehicle and a 300+ foot drop. We saw so many white-knuckled drivers that day, I felt sorry for them. We were SO happy we had "hired it done" this time... especially at the end of the day, making our way back, when we were all just exhausted from a fabulous day of views, stops, waterfalls, O'heo Gulch, etc.

Here are a couple of photos to illustrate:

2185805250101795198S600x600Q85.jpg

And this bridge, which we were about to and did cross...

2743054720101795198S600x600Q85.jpg

This drive certainly is do-able in a rental car (check with the rental agency about driving all the way around, past Lindbergh's grave, now that that part of the road is open, though -- many prohibit it). I just personally don't think either of us would have enjoyed it at all, much less found it relaxing. Your view might wind up different, though, and many people here swear by driving this road themselves.

Have a great trip to Hawaii!

PS One of the scariest parts of driving this road wasn't just the narrowness, the drops, the one lane bridges, and so forth -- it was how often we would round a curve and come upon a rental car either stopped in the middle, trying to maneuver, parked with part of it hanging in the road, etc. I think sometimes we visitors forget that local residents use this road for their daily commutes, commerce, etc. There are some large trucks, garbage trucks, delivery vehicles, tow trucks, etc. that move over that road and just stopping as the whim takes you as if you were on a deserted island is really not a good idea.

MichellP,

Thanks for the heads up, now I'm even more excited about the drive. I own a Mini Cooper and an Honda Gold wing motorcycle and have done US 101 in California in my Mini and Rocking Chair Ridge in Blue Ridge, Georgia on the bike. In fact my Mini club rides the Dragon Tail (Blue Ridge parkway) every year. I will certainly take my time and enjoy the ride.:cool:

Bob

• Administrators
MichellP,

Thanks for the heads up, now I'm even more excited about the drive. I own a Mini Cooper and an Honda Gold wing motorcycle and have done US 101 in California in my Mini and Rocking Chair Ridge in Blue Ridge, Georgia on the bike. In fact my Mini club rides the Dragon Tail (Blue Ridge parkway) every year. I will certainly take my time and enjoy the ride.:cool:

Bob

Have a great time, Bob! As I said, many people swear by doing this drive on their own and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Archived