Slot Machines on AIRLINES???

plyman69

Would you play slot machines on an AIRLINE?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play slot machines on an AIRLINE?

• Yes .. Most definately
    • No .. Definately not
    • Maybe

Yes all this is true.. check out this story...And if cruise ships can do it in international waters.. why cant airlines do it in international air???

In-Flight Gambling Next on the Wish List

Wed Nov 3, 8:04 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Airline passengers may soon be able to wile away the air miles with in-flight gambling if low-cost carrier Ryanair's latest cash-generation scheme becomes reality.

Dublin-based Ryanair, which has hit the jackpot by charging passengers for food, baggage and movies, said on Tuesday gambling on board its planes may be the next big thing.

Chief Executive Michael O'Leary said the usual government restrictions on European land-bound gambling operations were unlikely to apply in the air.

"I don't know who would stop you. It is like duty-free; you are in international waters," he told reporters.

While it is some time away, O'Leary said the technology does exist to adapt the airline's new in-flight entertainment systems for the use of gambling with credit cards. He described the revenue potential as "enormous."

Gambling operators have expressed interest, although there are no formal talks underway.

Ryanair this week started testing the entertainment systems, which allow passengers to watch movies and other entertainment from laptop-size devices.

Like most Ryanair in-flight extras, including food and drinks, passengers pay extra for the service. O'Leary once famously remarked he would charge passengers for ice if he could get away with it.

Ryanair, Europe's biggest low-cost airline, earlier reported a surge in first-half profit after a strong summer

I know the question is about international flights where one would be flying over international waters, but I can remember very clearly taking a flight in the 60s across the country. The stewardesses had to make us drink up and give her our empty alcohol containers because we were about to fly over some "dry" state or some state that didn't allow the airlines to serve booze when flying over their state. :eek:

Can't remember what particular state or group of states it was, but it was somewhere in the Midwest. Am I dreaming ? :confused:

"If you can't be kind . . . at least have the decency to be vague" anonymous

I am sure they will use the video type machines, and not really dispense actual coins but build credits than you can cash out when done.....that was what I concluded when I was thinking about the weight, coin, and clang clang problems that the traditional slot machines would bring.

• 7 months later...

Archived