Your experience of Water Island

melissa_bel

Hi all,

I'm looking for an alternative to St-Thomas for my coming cruise. There are going to be so many ships (7 of them) in port that I'm affraid even St-John will see a lot of crowd so, I thought about Water Island. I went to Vinow and read about it.

Now, I would really appreciate personnal accounts of your time on Water Island. Thank you!

Hi Islander,

Here's some specific.

Thanks to the *****, I have been able to figure out how the island is. Maybe we'll rent a bicycle and go the beach or just plain spend the day in the sand.

How are the beaches compared to the ones in St-Thomas and St-John?

Honeymoon Beach looks beautiful but I read the water is pretty calm and we love a bit of surf.

There is a bicycle tour, if you want to rent a bike and do your thing; contact Water Island adventures in advance - they don't have a booth or something you can just walk up to once on island.

STT-STJ certainly have more beaches to choose from since they are larger islands. Honeymoon Bay and Sprat Bay on Water Island (Honeymoon being easier to get to and with the deli close by for lunch and drinks) are usually sparcely populated, relaxing... neither are a Trunk Bay or a Magens Bay but they are lovely.

Many of the beaches in the VI are calm.... Honeymoon is not an exception - its quite calm.

--Islander

• 3 weeks later...

I took the Water Island bike tour last Jan. It lasted all of 15min. because they take you to the top of the island and you ride down. The roads are rough and it is very steep in places. I can ride a bike very well until you hit a pothole and put on the brakes and slide in the gravel! I ended up with multiple cuts, sprained both wrists and thankfully they make you wear a helmet because I cracked mine in half! The first hint is they make you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for injuries. One of the guides later told me that she was leaving. Apparently injuries were very common.

Archived