Carnival invades Philly!!!!!!

red1der1

I wonder why PHilly - if the cruises they are giving away are out of Baltimore.

Philly has a very respectable cruise terminal.

I think Philly is pre-occupied now with their winning PHILLIES>

CONGRATS PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Why not Philly?? But I think it is more to let cities that are somewhat close to ports become aware that they can cruise out of somewhere close to them and not have to fly far away to do so. Last week they were in Dallas and I am guessing they advertised about Galveston at that one.

You aren't going to the Parade?

Bill

I'll be at the parade!!!! :D But sadly not for long!! I can't get off from work so I will watch it on my lunchbreak to check it out. I work along the route. Stinks too cause I was at the game last night and would really love to top it off with the parade and I can't.

I'll be at the parade!!!! :D But sadly not for long!! I can't get off from work so I will watch it on my lunchbreak to check it out. I work along the route. Stinks too cause I was at the game last night and would really love to top it off with the parade and I can't.

I got 2 tickets for Citizens Bank park tomorrow. My son and his girlfriend are going to use them.

Did you get a copy of the Daily News?

Bill

twas a lovely sight.. but still my heart belongs to those 1980 Phils. Maybe my first World Series will always be like the first kiss, "special". I won't be at the parade because I'm in management and it would not look good if I didn't show up. But I work at 23rd and Market and hopefully I'll get to sneak out for a few minutes.

Sunday sounds interesting and we are definitely John Heald fans.. So maybe I can talk my DH into a stop by. However as much as he loves cruising.. the Eagles truly own his heart and getting him away from the TV on an Eagles Sunday is not an easy task.

twas a lovely sight.. but still my heart belongs to those 1980 Phils. Maybe my first World Series will always be like the first kiss, "special". I won't be at the parade because I'm in management and it would not look good if I didn't show up. But I work at 23rd and Market and hopefully I'll get to sneak out for a few minutes.

Sunday sounds interesting and we are definitely John Heald fans.. So maybe I can talk my DH into a stop by. However as much as he loves cruising.. the Eagles truly own his heart and getting him away from the TV on an Eagles Sunday is not an easy task.

NO problem. The CCl thing is over at 3pm and the Eagles play at 4:15pm.:)

Bill

NO problem. The CCl thing is over at 3pm and the Eagles play at 4:15pm.:)

Bill

Naw, I mentioned it and he said "ON SUNDAY?? The EAGLES PLAY>> I swear he tailgates in the house.. whoever is watching the game with him.. always at least my youngest son... generally start analzying the game hours ahead determining exactly where they sat, what they wore and what they were eating the last time they won.

My DH used to be that passionate about the Phillies also but he lost a lot of the passion after the strike.

He also asked me why I thought he would be interested in a Pinata. I explained Carnival is promoting Carnival cruiseline. He said he didn't need to be sold on cruising he already loves it.

Guess, I'll have to see if I can find a friend to accompany me.

Just out of curiosity (never having been to something like this) is it worth going to? Besides the possibility of winning a cruise is there anything else that happens there? Specials, sales, OBC? Just wondering because I have horrible luck at winning things :D

Hi everyone,

I just got home from visiting the Pinata. It is a site to see. We arrived around 12. The line at that time went all the way around the full city block, about 5 people deep. The line was not moving very well. The pinata is inside a fence that goes around the block. The live feed makes it look like there aren't too many people but it is packed. I don't do too well with lines, so we didn't stay.

According to the police, 7,000 people showed up. They had to cancel the actual "breaking" of the pinata because the police could not guarantee the safety of the crowd (children etc) if there was a RUSH.

The crowd was not following even the simpliest of instructions so the police made them LEAVE...

how sad......

Just out of curiosity (never having been to something like this) is it worth going to? Besides the possibility of winning a cruise is there anything else that happens there? Specials, sales, OBC? Just wondering because I have horrible luck at winning things :D

Many folks went that are part of the February Bloggers Cruise (and that cruised together on the last one) and Blog with John every day. They went to visit with each other (and John) and celebrate Carnival....not so much to "win something". They had coffee and donuts together this morning before all this chaos....so they had a good time!!

According to the police, 7,000 people showed up. They had to cancel the actual "breaking" of the pinata because the police could not guarantee the safety of the crowd (children etc) if there was a RUSH.

The crowd was not following even the simpliest of instructions so the police made them LEAVE...

how sad......

Typical Philly ppl:D :p ;)

Yes, it was sooooo crowded. It seems many of the people were very local, from the neighborhood, as parking was no problem. They, and their many, many, toddlers simply walked over. We did wait in line. After all, we prepared for this. Hunka Wife face-painted herself with the carnival logo on one cheek, and a big red "C" on the other. She also had all of her past sail and sign cards on a lanyard and every past guest ship pin on her shirt. Both Hunka's had Carnival tee's on, and Hunka Husband wore a "Tropicale " hat. We arrived at 11:30 a.m. and it was 2 1/2 hours before we even got into the entertainment and food complex. First place we headed was to sign up for a free cruise. (Didn't win) The line for smoothies was 30 minutes long, but during the wait there was a good, but extremely loud, band playing. The soft pretzel and hot dog line was very long. And then they ran out of food. More pretzels never arrived, after 20 or so minutes, hot dogs and buns arrived, then another 10 minutes to steam the dogs. The steamed hot dogs were placed on still partly frozen buns! One woman working the line was a bit stressed, and made it clear that one dog per person, and no taking any back for someone else. Inside the complex, there was no line control and much sneaking up front. And, to our surprise, Carnival employees got their food first, in spite of people waiting in long lines. Drinks also ran out. There were two ice cream lines, but I don't know how long the wait was here. I did hear that they ran out also. Several staions for children were set up, including games and magic.

All in all, it was a good time, even though the pinata didn't work out and the food ran out. Perhaps the crowd was under-estimated. Good news is Baltimore will be a new embarkation port, another place for us to leave from and not have to pay airfare.

I was there and we stood in line for over 2 hrs just to get into the tent area. By then, who wanted to stand in more lines for smoothies or anything else although I did manage to get a bottle of water. I heard 2,000 people were allowed inside for the breaking of the pinata. It would have really been a great event if Carnival had been more prepared or if this had been planned better. Philly is not a small city and that should have been taken into consideration. I do not think Carnival has picked up many fans today from the city. Looks like they had a nice even planned but there are way more than 2,000 people that live in the city!

I was there and we stood in line for over 2 hrs just to get into the tent area. By then, who wanted to stand in more lines for smoothies or anything else although I did manage to get a bottle of water. I heard 2,000 people were allowed inside for the breaking of the pinata. It would have really been a great event if Carnival had been more prepared or if this had been planned better. Philly is not a small city and that should have been taken into consideration. I do not think Carnival has picked up many fans today from the city. Looks like they had a nice even planned but there are way more than 2,000 people that live in the city!

You're braver than me but we already knew that;) .

After driving around trying to find a parking space and seeing how far the crowd stretched I just went home.

Bill

I was there and waited in line for 2 hours. Just before we entered the lot we were told they ran out of bracelets and other goodies. I was able to get entered into the drawing for one of the free cruises but they already drew 3 of them by that point so only 2 chances for me. I winded up in the tent watching Malcolm and Big Sexy dance most of the time I was there. The lines for what were left were insane. We winded up leaving after about 20 minutes. 2 hours of waiting to be in there for 20 minutes!! I live only about 10 blocks away so I didn't have to worry about parking and all but I feel bad for those that drove around tryng to find spots and not really participate in anything.

Yes, we Philly people can be a bit crazy and out of control but I seriously think that Carnival did not have this well planned out. It was very unorganized. When you first arrived, you didn't know which side of broad street to be on. Very confusing.

Archived