In Jamaica Today

NinaCO

Just returned to Conquest a little while ago. I bought more internet minutes than I'll use, so I thought I'd post a quick note.

I took a shuttle to Doctor's Cave Beach. It was $4 pp and left me off right outside the beach. The fee to get in was $5, and it was $4 more for a chair. The beach was[B] lovely and uncrowded[/B]. If you were willing/able to swim out a short distance, there was snorkeling. I didn't snorkel, but others did and said there was a good variety of fish.

After the beach we walked the short distance to Margareteville for lunch. Did a little shopping at stores along the way. The music was loud and the food was great. We sat outside and got rained on, but it didn't matter.

Finished the day with some shopping at City Center ($3 shuttle ride). Shopping in Jamaica is about like I rememebered with people following us around trying to get us in their shops and taxi/shuttle drivers trying to get us to go back to the ship with them. One man tried to sell me dope at the shop across the street from City Center. (The guard warned us to stay away from him.) Another man pulled at my bag, but it was zipped up and nothing came out. The shuttle driver who drove us back to the ship said that just one ship a week was coming to Mobay and the economy was in bad shape. Surprisingly, lots of people were interested in the election. One shuttle driver told me he'd stayed up late last night and got up early this morning to watch U.S. election results.

Jamaican security did a very thorough check of everything I brought back. They even unrolled my beach towel to make sure there were no drugs. Don't recall it being that detailed a check in the past.

It was a great day! I really enjoy Jamaica. :D

Archived