Train question

Mamanance

Will be on Princess in April. In reading posts, the dome train sounds great but I

am wondering if you give up the experience of going through the locks on the ship if you choose the train excursion. Since the objectve of taking the Panama

cruise is to see the locks, I am hesitant to schedule an excursion that would interfere with the ship going through the three locks.

Carol

Regarding the train, it is the same train. The dome is the last car on the train. Since it is higher up, the view is better. We were on it on 10/30/04. You don't see any locks. Just the markers where the ships have to sail. We saw no ships the day we were in. You also take a bus ride & can see Panama City & the Panamerican Bridge.

I don't know anything about an open air train. The train we took was "The Panama Canal Railroad Company". There were 2 types of cars. Regular train and the dome car. Both are the same tour but the dome car is upscale. There are several regular cars and only 1 dome car. I don't know if there is another railroad tour but I doubt it. We got off the train when we reached the west coast and got on buses. We skirted Panama City, stopped at a yacht club (I think it was) in Balboa, close to the Bridge of the Americas. We then went to the Miraflores Locks for about 45 minutes. We were directly at the locks and were able to go in the grandstands (the old ones -- new ones may be better?) and watch ships transiting. It could be possible to be there and not see a transit. We also were able to climb into one of the "mules" (an old retired one) which are used to tow the ships when in the canal. We've transited the canal 4 times (2 in each direction) and are now liesurely driving to Ft Lauderdale (ain't retirement great?) for the Summit 11 day cruise leaving 11/15. We are booked on the Dome Car again and are looking forward to it. It gives an entirely different view of the canal. Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Archived