Ports O' Call San Pedro

JaiJaiW

Can anyone help me with what kinds of establishments are at Ports O' Call Village? We will of course be looking for dinner but also to grab a couple of 12 packs of Coke's to bring on the ship. We're hoping to be able to avoid another taxi ride just for sodas.

Thanks in advance!

We are flying in the day before, late afternoon. We're staying at the Sunrise San Pedro (booked that many months ago before I found these message boards!!!) and no rental car. We hate to be out walking around too late.

Thanks for the link!

You will have plenty of time in the morning before going to the ship. I am fairly familiar with the area and know the name Sunrise but draw a blank as to where it is located on Harbour Blvd. There are convience stores everywhere and there may be one near the hotel. We will be celebrating our 41st anniversary (Nov 25) when we leave Nov 30. We were in the E Carib last year on the Liberty of the Seas for 40. Am really needing time off and can hardly wait for this cruise!

DaNana

I wish I had known about the Crowne Plaza before I booked this flight/hotel combo. We will be staying at the CP upon our return (Delta cancelled the only fight home for us on Saturday).

I've looked on Google Maps trying to find a nearby convenience store but no luck so far.

Happy Anniversary by the way!!!...our 25th is Dec 3rd so we will be spending it in PV!

This is California and you will find one there! Once in a while we have stayed at hotels that had a shuttle that would take you to the mall, etc. We usually only take water on with us. Buying the coke card is not a big deal to us but making sure I have ice when I want it is very important. Must come from living in Phoenix!

You have a great anniversary also! Nice to know there are marriages that are lasting!

Yeah, thats just my thing with the taxi...I'm buying the Coke to avoid what I feel is excessive cost on board (plus I prefer cans)....if I spend 20.00 on a taxi to go get the sodas, it's kind of defeating the purpose. LOL, oh well, I'm sure something will work out! :rolleyes:

You're just down from 6th Street (where Crowne Plaza is)...

There is a store right up there to the left (on the corner of 7th) to get sodas, etc.

(7 Days Convenience Store)

But, just a couple more blocks up (short small walking blocks) are plenty of stores (7-Eleven) to get sodas and such...

Don't worry about it too much, there is enough around there.

If you want maps or general directions, let me know, and I'll check back on here...

(If Wineaux checks in, he is right there on 6th Street near Crowne Plaza, so I'm sure he'll be happy to help and give you directions as well)!

;)

You're just down from 6th Street (where Crowne Plaza is)...

There is a store right up there to the left (on the corner of 7th) to get sodas, etc.

(7 Days Convenience Store)

But, just a couple more blocks up (short small walking blocks) are plenty of stores (7-Eleven) to get sodas and such...

Don't worry about it too much, there is enough around there.

If you want maps or general directions, let me know, and I'll check back on here...

(If Wineaux checks in, he is right there on 6th Street near Crowne Plaza, so I'm sure he'll be happy to help and give you directions as well)!

;)

CJW,

So you're saying that on the corner of 7th and Harbor we can expect to find a convenience store of some sort? That would be great. A pretty good walk but ok.

OHHH Google maps was putting me on N Harbor instead of S Harbor...now it's all making sense!!!

Thanks!!!

CJW,

So you're saying that on the corner of 7th and Harbor we can expect to find a convenience store of some sort? That would be great. A pretty good walk but ok.

OHHH Google maps was putting me on N Harbor instead of S Harbor...now it's all making sense!!!

Thanks!!!

Yes, Google Maps is putting Sunrise in the wrong place...

It's much closer to 6th Street (and Crowne Plaza) than it looks on that map (which is why it's great to have locals like me and Wineaux who are there directly in the area alot!)

I've used the Sunrise back parking lot to "cut through" over to 6th Street all the time (walking)...

So any stores and such that are mentioned as walking distance from Crowne Plaza, aren't that much further in real life walking distance, than what anything will show in Internet research or maps...

I can only say that it will make perfect sense when you get there...

(Just cut back through the pool gate, then over to the left).;)

It's much closer to 6th Street (and Crowne Plaza) than it looks on that map (which is why it's great to have locals like me and Wineaux who are there directly in the area alot!)

I've used the Sunrise back parking lot to "cut through" over to 6th Street all the time (walking)...

So any stores and such that are mentioned as walking distance from Crowne Plaza, aren't that much further in real life walking distance, than what anything will show in Internet research or maps...

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for the info!

Heya folks.

There is a liquor store at the corner of 7th street and Centre but for a better selection there is a small Mexican grocery store called "Numero Uno" at the corner of 5th and Pacific Ave. Both are easy walking distance from the Sunrise Motel.

There are 7-11 stores as well as chain supermarkets but they are farther away and a bit of a walk while carrying a case of soda.

Welcome to San Peeeeedro!!!

As I recall from when we stayed at the Sunrise (was a Best Western Sunrise then...............maybe five years ago) it was a to the corner and across at the light from Ports of Call. At that time, there were several little stores........like souvenir kind of places, and several restaurants. We had dinner at the Acapulco and waved to the departing ships, and breakfast at another cute little place in the Village. At that time, it wasn't what it used to be, but I don't know about now......

Hi CJW,

We've never been to the West Coast and will be spending the day before our cruise in San Pedro. Can you give me some of the best things to see/do and which hotel we should stay in? We'll be cruising on Sat 1/17 on the Star but will arrive at LAX before noon on Fri.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Penny

Hi CJW,

We've never been to the West Coast and will be spending the day before our cruise in San Pedro. Can you give me some of the best things to see/do and which hotel we should stay in? We'll be cruising on Sat 1/17 on the Star but will arrive at LAX before noon on Fri.

Thanks

Penny

At the top of the page when you came into the West Coast is a great place for finding hotels. Try this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412919

Here is a link that will give you a lot of good information about San Pedro: http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at this hotel as a cheaper alternative than the Doubletree, for one night pre-cruise. But the street view on Google maps is putting me off. Curt, is it really as bad as it looks or is it a fairly good place for a family to stay. Thanks.

I've been looking at this hotel as a cheaper alternative than the Doubletree, for one night pre-cruise. But the street view on Google maps is putting me off. Curt, is it really as bad as it looks or is it a fairly good place for a family to stay. Thanks.

The motel is fine. We stayed there pre cruise on November 28th. The "street view" is not the correct address, it's for 555 Harbor Blvd. I'm not sure where that picture is from.

If you like Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches or Onion rings, head next door to Grinders. Excellent.

Jaimie

The motel is fine. We stayed there pre cruise on November 28th. The "street view" is not the correct address, it's for 555 Harbor Blvd. I'm not sure where that picture is from.

If you like Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches or Onion rings, head next door to Grinders. Excellent.

Jaimie

Thank you! That's very reassuring.

Hi CJW,

Thanks

Penny

Hey Penny,

Looks like you are coming in tomorrow!! Welcome to San Peeedro!! Where did you decide to stay? Give us a call and we'll help you out as best we can. (310) 831-1551

I've gone through Google Maps, and the actual address of the hotel puts me at 525 North Harbor Blvd...

If you put this into Google Maps

553 S Harbor Boulevard San Pedro CA

That will put you directly in front of the hotel on the Google Maps.

Try that, and first of all, let me know if that is the same Google Maps street view that you are seeing...

That should give you a better/more accurate idea (the 525 North Harbor Blvd address puts you near the freeway on ramp).

It's difficult to tell (if you are looking at the accurate Google Maps street view) what you as a person and family think is okay.

It is an old hotel, probably 1 1/2 to 2 stars.

I might have some pictures of the rooms/hotel somewhere, but it's going to take some searching to find them.

I'll look for them, if you look at what they have on Google Maps - and you can see the area, and the Grinders Restaurant next door - and it still looks as bad as you thought.

Let me know.

I've gone through Google Maps, and the actual address of the hotel puts me at 525 North Harbor Blvd...

If you put this into Google Maps

553 S Harbor Boulevard San Pedro CA

That will put you directly in front of the hotel on the Google Maps.

Try that, and first of all, let me know if that is the same Google Maps street view that you are seeing...

That should give you a better/more accurate idea (the 525 North Harbor Blvd address puts you near the freeway on ramp).

It's difficult to tell (if you are looking at the accurate Google Maps street view) what you as a person and family think is okay.

It is an old hotel, probably 1 1/2 to 2 stars.

I might have some pictures of the rooms/hotel somewhere, but it's going to take some searching to find them.

I'll look for them, if you look at what they have on Google Maps - and you can see the area, and the Grinders Restaurant next door - and it still looks as bad as you thought.

Let me know.

Omigosh, I just put that address into google maps and the street view is totally different. Thank you so much. For a one night pre-cruise stay, it looks fine. What I got when I google mapped "Sunrise Hotel, San Pedro, CA" and did the street view, looks awful.

Omigosh, I just put that address into google maps and the street view is totally different. Thank you so much. For a one night pre-cruise stay, it looks fine. What I got when I google mapped "Sunrise Hotel, San Pedro, CA" and did the street view, looks awful.

LOL!

I know, it was showing you the freeway on ramp!

It's okay, as long as your expectations are managed.

Old, 1 1/2 to 2 stars, but they clean it.;)

The good points are that the rooms are very large (lots of space), and it does have a nice pool.

And it is very convenient to 6th Street (7th Street), which is where most of the cooler new shops and restaurants are located.

Archived