Distilled water on board?

Rockin' Rhonda

I suspect the answer is yes in spite of the fact that all cruise ships built in the modern era use reverse osmosis filtration to purify their potable water. This produces a product that is much less likely to contain sodium and other minerals than most municipal water systems which rely on sand bed filtration. If you drink the bottled water from the two major soft drink manufacturers, you are drinking distilled tap water with sodium and other minerals added.

But I doubt it is pure enough to replace distilled water for a medical procedure.

That is just my opinion. You should be able to get the water someplace close to the dock hopefully instead of having to bring it with you.

Have a great next cruise.

DH uses distilled water in his CPAP also. He just fills a regular water bottle (1 ltr or 20 oz) which is enough for one week. I pack it in a ziplock bag in the checked luggage since we no longer can put it in the carry-on. We have never had a problem with leaks. I have heard from some that it is available on the ship, but he does not want to take any chances.

I have a BPAP machine which is like a CPAP but instead of constant pressure it has a different pressure breathing out than in. Here's what my technician tells me. Distilled water is not necessary. If you don't use it, the container you put water in will get mineral deposites in it. It won't hurt you or your machine except that you may have to replace the water container in your machine.

I travel frequently and never carry distilled water with me.

I think when cruising, the water on the cruise ship is often desalenated which makes it virtually the same as distilled water. So, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the cruise tap water in my machine's tank.

I've had my machine for two years and I can't see any mineral deposites in the tank. I use distilled water at home and clean the tank regularly.

DH uses distilled water in his CPAP also. He just fills a regular water bottle (1 ltr or 20 oz) which is enough for one week. I pack it in a ziplock bag in the checked luggage since we no longer can put it in the carry-on. We have never had a problem with leaks. I have heard from some that it is available on the ship, but he does not want to take any chances.

Interesting. My BPAP uses about a cup a day, but I don't worry about distilled water when traveling (see my other post).

Thomas

DH also uses a CPAP machine. We call the RC special needs department in advance and they have the distilled water and an extension chord waiting in our room for us. The extension chord is necessary as the only outlet is across the room on the vanity - there is no outlet near the bed.

Many people have talked about the effects of the trace amounts of salt in the desalinated water onboard - like swollen ankles etc. It's my SO's lungs more than the expensive machine - never taking a chance with his lungs. Especially since the line will put distilled water and an extension cord in our room for nothing (which I requested when we booked in April)

I have a BPAP machine which is like a CPAP but instead of constant pressure it has a different pressure breathing out than in. Here's what my technician tells me. Distilled water is not necessary. If you don't use it, the container you put water in will get mineral deposites in it. It won't hurt you or your machine except that you may have to replace the water container in your machine.

I travel frequently and never carry distilled water with me.

I think when cruising, the water on the cruise ship is often desalenated which makes it virtually the same as distilled water. So, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the cruise tap water in my machine's tank.

I've had my machine for two years and I can't see any mineral deposites in the tank. I use distilled water at home and clean the tank regularly.

Many people have talked about the effects of the trace amounts of salt in the desalinated water onboard - like swollen ankles etc. It's my SO's lungs more than the expensive machine - never taking a chance with his lungs. Especially since the line will put distilled water and an extension cord in our room for nothing (which I requested when we booked in April)

That being the case, go for it. But you know the water you put into the machine is heated and the water vapor (now it's distilled if it becomes droplets) is what moves through the B/CPAP, leaving the trace elements behind. But I agree, better to be safe than sorry if you're concerned about it.

I have chronic swollen ankles from being overweight. They get much worse when I fly, but not on a cruise. I guess everyone is different.

Thomas

Wow, DH and I were just talking about that tonight, we leave Friday and he was just recently put on a CPAP machine. Maybe we will just pack a couple of bottles and see if that will do us and if not I guess they will be able to accommodate?

Hello all,

I am the husband of Debmkay, and I was just put on a CPAP one month ago, a remstarPLUS. The instructions with my unit say to use distilled water for a few reasons.

1. The minerals in regular water do leave a residue on the inside of the water tank, which you can clean with vinegar, so no real problem. One week or so of cruising won't harm it if you clean it out every day with a mild soap solution.

2.the minerals will also leave deposits on the inside of the air tube leading to the mask unit. Not so easy to clean, but also you can use vinegar.

3.The mask it self. Depending on if you use a full mask a partial nasal mask or the nose pillows, you can experience deposit build up over time that you will not be able to clean even with a vinegar bath without harming the special material used to make the seals. Since these seals are what make the XPAP work by providing the back pressure we need to breath, you would be replacing these at a faster rate then the expected 6 month life span, and they are not cheap. But for a short cruise this might not be a problem.

I also suspect that the water produced on board will be fine for our special use. But I am going to look for a small portable distiller that they used to sell for irons. You can produce a bottle worth per day with using the potable water on board.

Since I am new at this XPAP thing, I hope my information is correct, and no one bites off my head.

Hey and remember to bring an extension cord and maybe a power strip so you don't have to worry about where the plug is.

CM

I wouldn't bother with buying a distiller - just take some water bottles with distilled or regular for CPAP - or buy them (we will take water to drink).

You can write to the special needs department of whatever line you are going on and they'll put distilled water and an extension cord in your cabin. RCCL does it for sure, I've seen others say Carnival will also.

edited: I see you sail in 2 days - take or buy bottled water if not worried about the minerals etc - and take an extension cord - hear they go fast onboard.

Hello all,

I am the husband of Debmkay, and I was just put on a CPAP one month ago, a remstarPLUS. The instructions with my unit say to use distilled water for a few reasons.

1. The minerals in regular water do leave a residue on the inside of the water tank, which you can clean with vinegar, so no real problem. One week or so of cruising won't harm it if you clean it out every day with a mild soap solution.

2.the minerals will also leave deposits on the inside of the air tube leading to the mask unit. Not so easy to clean, but also you can use vinegar.

3.The mask it self. Depending on if you use a full mask a partial nasal mask or the nose pillows, you can experience deposit build up over time that you will not be able to clean even with a vinegar bath without harming the special material used to make the seals. Since these seals are what make the XPAP work by providing the back pressure we need to breath, you would be replacing these at a faster rate then the expected 6 month life span, and they are not cheap. But for a short cruise this might not be a problem.

I also suspect that the water produced on board will be fine for our special use. But I am going to look for a small portable distiller that they used to sell for irons. You can produce a bottle worth per day with using the potable water on board.

Since I am new at this XPAP thing, I hope my information is correct, and no one bites off my head.

Hey and remember to bring an extension cord and maybe a power strip so you don't have to worry about where the plug is.

CM

since everyone here seems to be familiar with traveling and medical issues- we took FIL to Alaska in April. The box with oxygen concentrator was around 40 lbs. It was pretty difficult to manage that along with all the luggage . which is why the family traveled together. How large is your unit? We kept telling them that there has to be a travel sized unit but that was the smallest the medical supply had seen. The box itself was like another large piece of luggage.

Hello all,

CM

I think it's mostly what you are comfortable with. My insurance pays the cost of the machine/masks/tubes etc. I think I have three full masks. I could never get used to those nasal ones. I have at least three hoses too. So, I'm not too concerned about messing one up. I will take two masks and two hoses with me on the trip. I carry a "squid" power strip and extension cord when I travel. I think it would be easier/cheaper to either ask the cruise line to provide you with distilled water or bring a gallon with you on the cruise, but shoot whatever floats your boat.

Thomas

since everyone here seems to be familiar with traveling and medical issues- we took FIL to Alaska in April. The box with oxygen concentrator was around 40 lbs. It was pretty difficult to manage that along with all the luggage . which is why the family traveled together. How large is your unit? We kept telling them that there has to be a travel sized unit but that was the smallest the medical supply had seen. The box itself was like another large piece of luggage.

B/CPAP machines aren't oxygen concentrators, but are pressurized air for people with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It helps to keep the person breathing at night when that person might have periods where he/she stops breathing. The B/CPAP regular sized machines are about 1/5 smaller than a regular carry on bag and not very heavy, maybe 8-10 lbs. They don't count as carryons, so on flights you can take them and also a carry on. I always get a letter from my doctor that says it is essential medical supplies.

My uncle had a portable oxygen concentrator that he wore over his shoulder and it was just a few pounds. It lasted 8 hours, but I don't know how he recharged it. I suspect he had to plug it in to a larger unit. I think you can make arrangements with the cruise ships for oxygen, but I don't know about devices. Sorry.

Thomas

Don't think I'd drag that around - I'd just rent it - company just delivers it to the ship and picks up when done. I've seen this company mentioned before - never used it -but never needed to rent any equpment.

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/html/concentrator.html

Don't think I'd drag that around - I'd just rent it - company just delivers it to the ship and picks up when done. I've seen this company mentioned before - never used it -but never needed to rent any equpment.

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/html/concentrator.html

Check with the cruise line before renting. Some have exclusive contracts with certain medical equipment suppliers. I think I remember reading that NCL is that way.

Thomas

I would ask your question on the Disabled travel board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 There are some very helpful and knowledgable posters there that can give you help.

I just checked with NCL medical access folks since I'll be cruising with them in January. They say they don't keep distilled water on the ship, but do support folks bringing on their own medical equipment. They suggest bringing distilled water AND an extension cord.

Thomas

Archived