Anyone just back from the Westerdam Western Carribean?

CECRN

If so, interested to know your thoughts and what you did on Grand Turk and Costa Maya. I understand that you were the first ship to return to Costa Maya and eagerly awaiting information.

Well - - - to be honest, we were a little disappointed in the way things turned out in port. We're more off-the-beaten-path kind of people, so we didn't book any excursions. We were planning to just snorkel on our own at each port. Not sure what you're interested in, but here's feedback from our perspective.

On Grand Turk - based on what we'd heard on CC boards, we went to Governor's Beach. Don't know whether it's because of recent hurricane activity, or the rather unsettled weather that followed us most of the week, but there was not much to see there in the way of snokeling. Be aware - when you arrive at Governor's Beach, to your left a ways out in the water you'll see a dark patch. That is NOT coral. It's weeds and there are no fish there. So, after coming back in from that (through the rather rough water), we walked down to the right and there were some reefs there, but again, no fish to speak of.

On Costa Maya - we were literally the first ones to speak to the golf cart rental folks on their first day back in operation. To say they were all happy to see us would be an understatement.

We rented a golf cart ($30 for 2 hrs or $60 for all day) We followed the "red brick road" and wound around to the beach (dirt) road. You can still see much devastation from Hurricane Dean, but they're rebuilding. We went almost to the end of the point (about 1 hr drive out), then turned around and headed back, stopping here and there on the return. Beaches are absolutely breathtaking, but again, no snorkeling. Water was rough and therefore murky. Disappointing. But we did stop and spend some time in the little main village area in Majahual where the shopkeepers all tried their best to get us to visit THEIR store. It was our favorite excursion, even if we didn't get to snorkel, just because we went exploring, and that's our thing.

I know you didn't ask about Grand Cayman, but we weren't able to stop there because the captain felt it was unsafe for us to tender that day because of the weather. That also was disappointing, as we were about ready to walk off the boat and head straight for Eden Rock, where we'd read wonderful things about snorkeling there when he made his announcement. We totally understand that safety is first, but this along with the poor conditions in the other ports made is basically a non-snorkeling trip.

Again, don't know if that's the type of info you're looking for, but that's what we did. Also, things could be night-and-day for another trip based on the weather.

We didn't have any excursions planned for Grand Turk, because we were unsure of the state of rebuilding on the island. I believe the water sports excursions were all available. In fact, the ship had to wait for the catamaran excursion which was late, but all the folks on it were cheering and looked like they had had a rip-roaring time! The pier and shopping village show no signs of damage at all, but as a guy I was bored by the high-end shops that were mostly jewelry, etc., and the T-shirt shops. I wanted to take a cab to Cockburn Town, but was told by the HAL excursions rep as well as another passenger that there was little to see there, partly due to hurricane damage. Margaritaville had quite a scene going on (Carnival Victory was also in port that day).

Costa Maya was a much better experience. It, too, has a "shopping village" at the end of the pier with plenty of jewelry, etc., stores, but also lots of more affordable crafts and souvenirs. Also, about half the shops hadn't opened yet, so it should have even more to choose from in the future. The merchants all were open to haggling on the prices.

Next, we took the 4-hour Chacchoben Mayan excursion. It was EXCELLENT. The ruins were more extensive than I had thought and the guide was great. It was only about a one-hour bus trip through a rural area and a couple of small villages.

We did not go to the village that is near the port, Mahahual, but I heard it is worth visiting.

I would love to return to Costa Maya. The locals are very friendly and were delighted to see us, as the first cruise ship to return.

Thank you so much for your replies. I wasn't even worrying about Grand Cayman until now. We were on the Westerdam two years ago and missed Half Moon Cay, which was disappointing. I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that we can make it to all the ports.

Were there booths for snorkeling trips once you got off the ship in Costa Maya? Were there lots of golf carts for rent? We are thinking of trying to snorkel by boat first, then go into the town after that. Since we're in port until 7 PM, may as well do both! Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

We also missed Half Moon Cay last year so we were thrilled when we were able to land last week. It's a marvelous place and the sand was impossibly soft and silky - I've never seen anything like it. The snorkeling there is hardly worth it but it's a good place to try out your snorkeling equipment.

On Grand Turk we took the Ultimate Snorkeling Experience. They took us to two reefs, both with beautiful coral but not as many fish as one would expect. Perhaps the reefs are still affected by the severe hit from Hurricane Ike a few months ago. The second reef was the best. The guides were very good and we had a good time. We decided not to tour the island because it is still torn up pretty bad. The cruise port center is very nice and the beach there looks almost as good as Half Moon Cay. The real star of Grand Turk is the water - many beautiful shades of blue.

Missing Grand Cayman was a real bummer. We tried to be positive but missing a port changes the whole character of a cruise.

At Costa Maya we took the 4-hour Chacchobben tour. The ruins are amazing and our guide (with Native Choice) was superb. We should have taken the 6.5 hour tour. Costa Maya was so badly damaged by Hurricane Dean and it still looks that way except for the Cruise Center. I think the real appeal of this port is the outstanding Mayan ruins in the area.

Our family DH, me and DDs 10 and 12, went on the horse ride and swim in Grand Turk. The guides were very nice and told us a lot about their Island. It is devasted to say the least. I wouldn't advise trying to see or do much there unless it's in the water. We enjoyed the horses ,but were a bit dissappointed that the water portion was cut short as they were running behind.

On Costa Maya, we took a van to Majahual. Beware the cabs only take you back to CM now. You have to take vans there. the cost went up to $4 per person. The locals were happy to see us, but desperate to sell everything. It is understandable that they have waited a long time for income, just beware it is not relaxing as we had read. They yell to you and at you constantly. One is pulling you as the previous owner is still talking. I am not exaggerating; even my 10 yr. old noticed it and was uncomfortable. We were offered a massage and when I said we'd just had one, she badgered me to know what we payed.

Sorry to sound negative, but I would skip those islands for awhile unless you spend time in the water. It is gorgeous.

Archived