Deposit question

phinn

I was considering going on HA cruise for first time. Looking to book the Westerdam in November of next year. I called Hal direct and was told the deposit was $898.00 with the balance due next Sept. What's with that? I can't put that much down right now, and so I asked a TA for a quote and was told only $100 each deposit. Am I wrong in thinking if I go right to the source it should be at least the same as a TA? Why so much? Has anyone else had this issue? It kinda gives me a strange first impression...

This isn’t unusual. A few weeks ago HAL was running a $100/person deposit. As of this morning they were back up to their standard $350/person deposit plus insurance for a 7 day cruise. But the cruise fares had gone down $200 to $300/person. The travel agent you talked to may have a group contract that only requires a $100 deposit. If so check to make sure that the travel agent's fare is also the lowest.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

The $898 deposit seems like an odd number ... is it possible your quote includes HAL insurance? If that is true, and you plan to buy HAL's insurance, the premium is due in full at time of deposit. Otherwise, you may buy 3rd party insurance if you choose.

Archived