Another Smoking Thread

wire4eva

Firstly let me apologise for mentioning the evil "S" word, my wife and I are going on our first cruise to the carribean in March on Oceana with friends, my question is, can anyone tell me where the smoking areas are on board, i am fully aware that smoking is banned in all public areas, just need to know where I have to go to indulge.

Don't want this turning into another argument about should/shouldn't be allowed, just need to know were I can smoke.

By the way we are on B deck

Thank You

Hi Wire4eva

Another Cheshire Cat here! Re smoking, we're on Oceana in Feb and received a smoking policy update a few weeks back from P&O. As we aren't smokers, it didn't cause much interest here, but the impression I got was that you can smoke on a balcony. Otherwise I didn't catch much else. Would have thought there would be somewhere on deck, especially if, as on our cruise, you've got several at sea days.

It'll be interesting to see if there's an upsurge in vindictive non-smokers booking cabins early!

If you go on the P&O community site and on to the Cruise Report page, on page 3 (at the moment) you'll see a thread about smoking in Le Club (night club) on Oceana. There's quite a few comments about it too - always a topic to get people going. :)

Caneable yes from Cheshire although some may argue Lancashire, me always and for ever Cheshire, Scorpio thanks for the link, very interesting reading some very valid points.

Can't wait for cruise just feel that as a smoker I am being made out to be some kind of social leper, the rest of my party are non-smokers but appreciate that I have to smoke somewhere and don't have a problem.

I understand that most people these days hate smokers and I do try to minimise the impact my habit has on them but I feel as an individual I should have an area (however small) to indulge my habit.

So to my original question what areas of Oceana are now designated smoking?

Thank You

The P&O website has this say about smoking on Oceana:

"From N817, E825 and P815 - Complete inside smoking ban in all cabins and public spaces. Smoking is still permitted on balconies and on certain areas of the open decks."

(Here: http://www.pocruises.com/Help/health-and-safety.axd )

That's it, I'm afraid: on the balcony, and at certain points of the open decks. I think it'll probably be one side, or perhaps just one area, of the Promenade.

""I understand that most people these days hate smokers and I do try to minimise the impact my habit has on them but I feel as an individual I should have an area (however small) to indulge my habit.""

If only all smokers adopted your lovely attitude.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should have an area of your own which does not interefere with the non smokers

Thank you

Mike

wire4eva,

I was on Oceana recently and the way things stand at the moment the 'designated outside areas' for smokers are the port side of the Promenade deck and also port side of the Lido deck.

You will find that some people will smoke in places other than these and run the gauntlet of being 'caught' and being asked to extinguish their cigarettes and move on.

Have a wonderful cruise on my favourite ship and don't feel like a social leper - not everyone on a cruise ship is anti smoking.

Feebee_71 :)

Firstly let me apologise for mentioning the evil "S" word, my wife and I are going on our first cruise to the carribean in March on Oceana with friends, my question is, can anyone tell me where the smoking areas are on board, i am fully aware that smoking is banned in all public areas, just need to know where I have to go to indulge.

Don't want this turning into another argument about should/shouldn't be allowed, just need to know were I can smoke.

By the way we are on B deck

Thank You

Wire4eva, hello, you say you are on the Oceana in March, we are also on the ship in March. which sailing are you on the 6th March or 20th March. We are going on 6th March and I have started a roll call but only 1 other person has responded and that was months ago. please let me know what sailing you are doing. We were on the Sister ship (Sea Princess) in September so we know what to expect of the ship, any question you have just fire away.

By the way I also received a memo from PO re smoking onboard, I will try to dig it out and let you know what it says

Cheers, Graeme

I was Ventura in Oct and smoking was only allowed on balcony's and on certain open areas, which I think was the Starboard side of the ship.

Outside the Self service dining area, was a partially/ covered area, which also had tables and chairs, where the overload from Self service could eat, these tables had ash trays on for smokers, again I think they were only on the Starboard side.

Im not a smoker, but it did appear that anywhere as long as it was outside and on the starboard side you could smoke.

Happy sailing

Beckyfaye;)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Hi Graeme, yes we are also sailing on the 6th, flying from Manchester.

We recieved a memo from P&O regarding smoking think is was back in July though.

First time though so don't really know what to expect, although have picked up a few thing of these boards.

One thing, if you have cruised before do you recommend the ship organised excursions or DIY?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Hi Graeme, yes we are also sailing on the 6th, flying from Manchester.

We recieved a memo from P&O regarding smoking think is was back in July though.

First time though so don't really know what to expect, although have picked up a few thing of these boards.

One thing, if you have cruised before do you recommend the ship organised excursions or DIY?

Hi wire4eva, yes we have cruised before, this will be our 4th year in the Caribbean in march.

if you have time log into the roll call forum and we can speak through the roll call board so as not to keep using this smoking thread.

Answer to your question is we do a mixture of both DIY tours and ship tours. The trick is to do plenty of research and do exactly what you want to in each port. I can give some lots of ideas in various ports on our cruise and also reccomendations and email links to some good DIY tours.

See you on the roll call board, I check in most nights between 6 -10pm week days.

Graeme :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived