Childrens programmes - Emerald Princess

Daisymabel

I would be interested to hear from any other contributors who travel with young people. We have an 11 & 14 year old in our little group. We booked this cruise as we had tried Princess last year for the first time but had no experience of the childrens programme as we were on our own. I'm hoping that the 10 day itinerary on the Emerald will have a little something for everyone as we have a varied age group ranging from 11 to 77. I understand that Carnival & RCL have lots on board for children (climbing walls, slides, ice rinks) but we're just Princess lovers now!!!

We cruised in January before so there were only a handful of young people on the ship. As it will be the Easter school holidays for the UK and schools in the US we're thinking there will be more this time.

So for those of you who cruise with young people of a similar age to ours, any hints or tips? What can you tell us about the childrens programmes on the Emerald? I've read what the Princess brochure says but to hear it from those who have taken advantage of the childrens programme would be great.

We'll be going off to do some shore excursions but just want to be sure that the children have a good time too when we're onboard.

Thanks

You may get some children onboard, but as your cruise begins mid-week (and some schools are really tight on kids taking off school days for a vacation), I wouldn't expect as many kids as if your cruise started a few days before.

My daughter was 8 on her last Princess cruise and in the 8-12 age group and really enjoyed it.

You may get some children onboard' date=' but as your cruise begins mid-week (and some schools are really tight on kids taking off school days for a vacation), I wouldn't expect as many kids as if your cruise started a few days before.

My daughter was 8 on her last Princess cruise and in the 8-12 age group and really enjoyed it.[/quote']

So our 11 year old cruiser will be in this group... what sort of activities did Princess put on for them... I guess they can dip in and out depending on what's on offer and if it appeals to them?

When you first get to your cabin, there will be a packet of info for your kids' age groups, with a day-by-day listing of the activities. The first day of the cruise won't have any activities, just the mandatory registration meeting (usually at night).

The activities will range from games and arts and crafts, as well as itinerary-related activities held in connection with the California Science Center. For example, on our Alaskan cruise, there was an arts and crafts activity in which the kids built a model of a glacier. On our Hawaiian cruise, there were holiday-oriented ones because Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years happened during this time. The most popular thing the kids did (from what my girl tells me) is dissecting a squid.

There's also video games for the kids to play and movies are shown.

Another thing Princess does is have a kids' dinner or two. One side of the Horizon Court (the buffet) is closed for a "private party." Parents drop off their kids there. After the dinner, the counselors take the kids up to the fun zone.

Thanks for the replies. I expect the children will spend most of their time in the pool but it's good to know what else is on offer.

Happy cruising.

They will spend a lot of time at the pool, naturally, but the kids' area on the Emerald is large and fantastic. Though I did not have my kids on the Emerald with us, they have been on the Caribbean Princess and the Diamond. There is a great deal to do! On our first cruise with the girls, they were 14, 12 and 8. They had a blast. I am sure yours will, too.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

They will spend a lot of time at the pool, naturally, but the kids' area on the Emerald is large and fantastic. Though I did not have my kids on the Emerald with us, they have been on the Caribbean Princess and the Diamond. There is a great deal to do! On our first cruise with the girls, they were 14, 12 and 8. They had a blast. I am sure yours will, too.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

Thought you were taking a nap??? :eek:

Archived