Benefit/Offer Combination Chart

On another note, I have all my future cruise's confirmed with D Balcony discount, Stockholder OBC, NC OBC, etc. and if for some reason I do not receive them, RC can kiss my A$$ in Mc'Donald's FRONT WINDOW!:)

I want to own the popcorn concession for this one!!!:eek:

Hi All,

Believe it or not, I just found this thread!

First, thanks to Fl cruiser 64 for putting together the chart and answering all of the questions! Also, thanks to my friend Patti for jumping in and answering questions also!

Below is a letter that I sent to to Investor relations on Oct 8.......letter in green

..................................................................................................

following this letter is a reply that I got when I asked about my shareholder benefit still being applicabale after I had changed which cruise I was going on......that reply is below in red. I am still confused because the reply in red indicates that the Balcony discount can still be combined with an the shareholder benefit....am I reading this right since it is NOT what the chart says? Of course, that reply came on Oct 14...so....the policy has probably changed several times since then!

To all of you who bought stock at 15 or below, you will probably be able to sell it in the future and make a little....we bought ours at $40 way back when, but, over the several years that we have owned it, we got back lots in OBC. That benefit is now over! So, if we ever need a stock loss for tax purposes the RCLL stock will go.

We too have stuck with Royal because of their Loyalty benefits nd because we liked the cruise line. We were working towards Diamond Plus (even booked a JR. Suite to help us acheive that level). We will proably start looking elsewhere once we get to the Plus level....especially now that we live in Florida and can take advantage of the last minute "bottom feeder" prices that I have now discovered.

..................Letter I sent.............................................................

I am sure that you are very well aware that your new policy has not been well received by your cruising shareholders. Many of us are loyal to Royal Caribbean because you have been loyal to us. That may stop with your new policy.

Now, you have told us that we cannot apply the shareholder benefit if we have already received another benefit or promotion. Basically, any customer can get On Board credit by booking a future cruise while on board. They can also get a discount by using the "coupons" that frequently come out. That is available to anyone.

For shareholders, you are treating us like any other customer. The shareholder benefit was always an ADDITIONAL benefit because we own the company....like an "employee discount" that other companies give. Other companies give the "employee discount" over and above any other promotions that the "regular" customers can receive.

I realize that the economy is bad and that your bookings are probably down. However, you may drive us away too. Below I have copied a note that I received from another Diamond member.....it says it all.

.....Since RCCL is changing itineraries and now limiting what we can claim as OBC's they are sending us to the competition. Once we get through, Feb 2010, we will probably sell our stock and purchase the cruise line we will be sailing with at the time. RCCL is not the only cruise line to do the stockholders benefits. I really like sailing RCCL but am getting a might put out with some of the new rules. Other lines are throwing out bait to hook new customers and it seems RCCL is throwing us away.....

Think about the future loyalty and perhaps you will want to change this shareholder policy.

Sincerely,

Margaret Rohan Agnello

Diamond Member (soon to be Diamond Plus........maybe)

....................................................................................................

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #7675645.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

Carl and I have used all of our Future cruise credits, so, we will be shopping the competetion in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Hi Margaret..............First of all........your reservation number is showing in the response you got from Linda Buchanan...............you might want to have the moderators remove that number, unless you don't mind it being there.

You can still combine all offers and benefits (except C&A $$$ off coupons) on any sailing that you book prior to December 31, 2008. After that date, then it changes and you will only be able to select one offer/benefit per cruise.

So, if you and Carl have some specific cruises in mind for 2009/2010, I would book before 12/31/08 to get all your perks.

Just be aware that if you book any cruise before 12/31/08 and then have to make a change after that date as to ship/itinerary/sailing date.............then all the benefits will be lost and you will be back to selecting just one.

If you think about it...............everyone, even a brand new cruiser can choose one benefit. The big thing they are really taking away from the platinum and diamond members is the balcony discount not being combinable with one other thing. The way it is now, we're not getting anything more than a first time cruiser.

Patty

Hi Patti,

So, when they replied to me they said for reservations made before OR AFTER Oct. 31.....

For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

It says.....that the shareholder benefit IS combinable .... with all of the others (including the Balcony discount for Platinum....) mentioned except for OBC.

Guess that they changed the policy after they sent this to me.

Question, if I book something before 12/31 but have used up all of my OBC for Next cruises....I don't see a benefit since I can't get any OBC and I can't use the CA coupon dollar off. OOPS, I guess that I could get the shareholder benefit and the balcony discount. Am I right in that?

And to Patty.....yes, that was what I was trying to express in the letter that I sent to them. They are treating us just like any other cruiser....not like shareholders!

Hi Patti,

So, when they replied to me they said for reservations made before OR AFTER Oct. 31.....

For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

It says.....that the shareholder benefit IS combinable .... with all of the others (including the Balcony discount for Platinum....) mentioned except for OBC.

Guess that they changed the policy after they sent this to me.

Question, if I book something before 12/31 but have used up all of my OBC for Next cruises....I don't see a benefit since I can't get any OBC and I can't use the CA coupon dollar off. OOPS, I guess that I could get the shareholder benefit and the balcony discount. Am I right in that?

And to Patty.....yes, that was what I was trying to express in the letter that I sent to them. They are treating us just like any other cruiser....not like shareholders!

Since you don't have any OBC left from NC certificates.............like you said, you would still get your balcony discount plus your shareholder OBC, which changes after December 31...........you would have to select just one.

If you have a definite cruise in mind for 2009/2010 I would say book it. But just remember, if you book a cruise and then after December 31 you have to change for some reason...............you are back to selecting either the balcony discount or the Shareholder OBC.

BTW......that October 15, 2008 date was when they originally were going to do the changes..............but I guess they got so many emails and phone calls that they extended it to December 31, 2008.

If you think about it...............everyone, even a brand new cruiser can choose one benefit. The big thing they are really taking away from the platinum and diamond members is the balcony discount not being combinable with one other thing. The way it is now, we're not getting anything more than a first time cruiser.

Patty

Patty.............you are so right. Not everyone is a shareholder, though the way their stock is dropping..............there may be more than you think.

I would really like to see them either allow the P/D/D+ balcony discount/C&A $$$ off coupons with just one OBC. I don't think that's asking too much now..............do you?:o

Patty.............you are so right. Not everyone is a shareholder, though the way their stock is dropping..............there may be more than you think.

I would really like to see them either allow the P/D/D+ balcony discount/C&A $$$ off coupons with just one OBC. I don't think that's asking too much now..............do you?:o

Patti,

I would even be happy with the P/D/D+ balcony discount and a choice of 1 OBC, Next Cruise or Shareholder. The way they are doing it now just doesn't even seem fair. It's like their saying, P/D/D+ get a balcony discount and you can't use anything else. The P/D/D+ balcony discount is something I worked toward getting because it was an extra perk, but now it's the only perk. I wonder if anyone actually called them and asked for sure if the balcony discount can't be used with one OBC.

Patty

• 4 weeks later...
It's too bad, because I was just thinking this would be a good time to buy the stock; price is affordable, and the credits are nice.

Now that they're not combinable, what's the point?

Mary

Wouldn't it still be of use to people who don't book balconies? If the Platinum/Diamond discount is only for balconies, you would still use the stockholder benefit if booking an OV or an inside? Is that right?

I'm wondering if we will still be able to get over 55, military or residence benifits if say we use any of the others. No mention of that but hope they dont take that away also.

Technically, I read somewhere in their policies, all benefits such as balcony discounts, discount coupons etc are only applicable on non discounted cruises. :D

I posted the link in another thread but can't find it now. But just like many other rules and restrictions RCI never really went by those. Discounts such as military, resident and age discounts were rather treated as part of the 'regular' cruise fare. Cruise drops are unwritten period.

By what I gathered in the last few weeks including the previous 'pilot program' (for lack of better wording @ landlover :p) I am expecting changes to come fairly soon. The combination of any benefit/discount is killing RCI. They kept all these combination possibilities in place while they were starting to engage in a price war with Carnival by transitioning to a mass market line.

As a cruiser who subscribed to their product and services rather than to benefits and discounts I agree with the way they are going. Let me give you a real life example out of my own family:

Just recently we went on a little family cruise on the Majesty. While the prices were decently priced they were in the profit margin (I would believe) and began to reducing the price. Point of residents discount and price reduction is always to fill the ship. In the past as long as you put bodies on the ship it somehow paid off through onbvoard spending.

My MIL booked initially at approx $200 a 4 Night cruise. After price drops and discounts over the months (age, resident, military etc and regular price drops) she sailed for under $100. In the past it was OK because most cruisers spend the cruise fare saved money (plus some) anyways. But in today's time it is not so. Despite all her savings the SeaPass Bill for two was one line. :eek: Too boot it, she cashed in some OBC (I believe it was around $25 dollars (out of $50). This type of cruising is very common over the the last few years and RCI MUST put a stop to it - one way or another.

And they will. It will just take some time.

BTW, for those who read my posts and know me: yes she got an earful from me. :D

I posted this on another thread..............but thought I would post it here also.

Today (12/19/08) I received an email from Linda Buchanan from Investor Relations and beginning January 1, if you are a Shareholder you will be able to combine your Shareholder OBC and P/D/D+ balcony discount along with cashing in any VISA points.

So I guess this means that being a shareholder now will be more beneficial than booking a NC/FC while on a cruise.........since, if I am understanding your chart correctly, you can not combine an OBC from a NC/FC with a P/D/D+ balcony discount.

I see a war brewing between Investor Relations and C&A!!:(

I posted this on another thread..............but thought I would post it here also.

Today (12/19/08) I received an email from Linda Buchanan from Investor Relations and beginning January 1, if you are a Shareholder you will be able to combine your Shareholder OBC and P/D/D+ balcony discount along with cashing in any VISA points.

So I guess this means that being a shareholder now will be more beneficial than booking a NC/FC while on a cruise.........since, if I am understanding your chart correctly, you can not combine an OBC from a NC/FC with a P/D/D+ balcony discount.

Patti,

That is wonderful news. :)

I spoke with a C&A D+ rep last week who said they were taking names of those complaining about the inability to combine discounts.:( This is a good compromise. So, the NC bites the dust. That's fine with us. :):D

Thanks for sharing. :)

Patti, that's great news!!! I thought it was really strange when they said you couldn't. The P/D/D+ discount is a benefit for reaching that level of C&A, I really didn't see how they could not let us use that with the shareholder OBC. You news makes me happy again! :D:D:D

Patty

Wow... what a thread. I guess there is still a question on the shareholder benefits combining with the P/D/D+ balcony discounts... but otherwise it seems fairly clear. NC is now a total waste of my time and I'll never be taking the time on my cruise vacation to rebook. Makes no sense at all now.

Turns out we were just thinking about booking something short for the summer with the kids and so I got to wondering what benefits will combine and not combine any longer -- so I stumbled onto this perfect thread. I had no idea there was going to be further restrictions as of 12/31, but that sure does seal the deal for us. We'll be booking something before the end of the year with the one NC certificate we hold. Otherwise the certificate becomes a waste if we can't combine with our Platinum (soon to be Diamond) balcony discount. I do have an issue with that by the way... if I purchased the NC BEFORE 12/31/08, then I should still be able to combine it whenever I book the cruise. That is why I took the time to buy the thing in the first place. Nothing makes me crazier than having a benefit promised to me rescinded. I don't mind them changing policy (I understand its a business), but I don't like them applying those changes to things we have already purchased. I have the same feeling about applying a fuel surcharge to someone that has already booked. But all that is for another thread! :)

I'd like to see more updates on how people make out with bookings after the new year and their efforts to combine balcony discounts with the shareholder benefits. We don't currently hold the 100 shares but have been considering it. We will most likely not buy if we can't combine them.

Patty, I'm in total agreement with you that it would make much more sense to limit to ONE EACH a price discount and an OBC. But if they do allow the shareholder OBC to combine with the P/D/D+ discount, then I think that will work for most of the loyal customers.

Wow... what a thread. I guess there is still a question on the shareholder benefits combining with the P/D/D+ balcony discounts... but otherwise it seems fairly clear. NC is now a total waste of my time and I'll never be taking the time on my cruise vacation to rebook. Makes no sense at all now.

Turns out we were just thinking about booking something short for the summer with the kids and so I got to wondering what benefits will combine and not combine any longer -- so I stumbled onto this perfect thread. I had no idea there was going to be further restrictions as of 12/31, but that sure does seal the deal for us. We'll be booking something before the end of the year with the one NC certificate we hold. Otherwise the certificate becomes a waste if we can't combine with our Platinum (soon to be Diamond) balcony discount. I do have an issue with that by the way... if I purchased the NC BEFORE 12/31/08, then I should still be able to combine it whenever I book the cruise. That is why I took the time to buy the thing in the first place. Nothing makes me crazier than having a benefit promised to me rescinded. I don't mind them changing policy (I understand its a business), but I don't like them applying those changes to things we have already purchased. I have the same feeling about applying a fuel surcharge to someone that has already booked. But all that is for another thread! :)

I'd like to see more updates on how people make out with bookings after the new year and their efforts to combine balcony discounts with the shareholder benefits. We don't currently hold the 100 shares but have been considering it. We will most likely not buy if we can't combine them.

Patty, I'm in total agreement with you that it would make much more sense to limit to ONE EACH a price discount and an OBC. But if they do allow the shareholder OBC to combine with the P/D/D+ discount, then I think that will work for most of the loyal customers.

You got your wish........read this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891138

Hey Alex and Kim,

Well, they are saying now that you can combine the P/D balcony discount with the shareholder OBC. At least that's what they're saying for now.....who knows what they'll say next week......:D If this is true and they are combinable, I'm happy with that!! We bought 2 next cruise things on the cruise last November and used one for the cruise this March and the other one I had booked Bermuda this past fall but had to cancel because of the foot problem and then moved it to December and then thought that was really to close to Christmas so I moved the booking to some date next fall. I'm not planning on going anywhere next fall because I will be using a lot of vacation next year starting with the 2 weeks we're all sailing together in March, but boss lady is going to let me carry over some vacation time from this year so I have to wait and see how it all plays out. If they stick with the new rules that the NC OBC can't be combined with other stuff I'm just going to cancel that booking for next fall. Thing is......they are holding $500 of my money and if it's not benefitting me in any way, I'm cancelling and getting my deposit back.

Talk to you guys soon.........I think March is going to come up real fast once the holidays are over.

Patty

• 3 weeks later...

Today (1/12/09) I received a denial of the Stockholder OBC for two B2B cruises we booked (Radiance from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and Valparaiso to San Diego) for this April. We booked after the 12/31/08 "deadline".

HOWEVER, when I called RCCL res to ask about combining the Platinum Balcony CREDIT (NOT and OBC but money taken off the price of the cruise) and the Stockholder OBC the agent told me there would be no problem.

The balcony credit is $200.00 per cabin per cruise. The Stockholder OBC is $250.00 per cabin per cruise. They are now giving me the choice of one or the other but not both. I'm really disappointed in this treatment of their best customers AND stockholders. You can guess what my choice will be this time but we are hopeful that before April they will reverse themselves the way they did in October.

Frank in Sunny SBA:cool:

Today (1/12/09) I received a denial of the Stockholder OBC for two B2B cruises we booked (Radiance from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and Valparaiso to San Diego) for this April. We booked after the 12/31/08 "deadline".

HOWEVER, when I called RCCL res to ask about combining the Platinum Balcony CREDIT (NOT and OBC but money taken off the price of the cruise) and the Stockholder OBC the agent told me there would be no problem.

The balcony credit is $200.00 per cabin per cruise. The Stockholder OBC is $250.00 per cabin per cruise. They are now giving me the choice of one or the other but not both. I'm really disappointed in this treatment of their best customers AND stockholders. You can guess what my choice will be this time but we are hopeful that before April they will reverse themselves the way they did in October.

Don't hold your breath!

I am pretty certain we are going to ask them to take the Platinum Balcony Credit off and give us the Stockholder OBC. This has not left a very good impression of RCCL with us. Hopefully the cruise will erase that.

Frank in sunny SBA:cool:

All--

I sent an e-mail to Linda Buchanan this morning asking her to take the Platinum Balcony Credit off and add the OBC since it's $50.00 more per cruise. She responded with "This has been confirmed and IF THE POLICY SHOULD CHANGE (My emphasis) we will apply both again". That's a small glimmer of hope but, then, I've always been a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

Mid 70's here again today. We DO need rain, though!

All--

I sent an e-mail to Linda Buchanan this morning asking her to take the Platinum Balcony Credit off and add the OBC since it's $50.00 more per cruise. She responded with "This has been confirmed and IF THE POLICY SHOULD CHANGE (My emphasis) we will apply both again". That's a small glimmer of hope but, then, I've always been a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

Mid 70's here again today. We DO need rain, though!

Hey, well a "glimmer" of hope is better than no hope at all. With that wording there might be some discussion going on about how the changes have effected the attitudes of long term loyal customers who have achieved platinum,diamond or diamond plus status. Why would she say "should the policy change" if it was set in stone?

I was denied an OBC Shareholder credit because I had a WOW sale OBC on my account. I did protest and was still told no, the WOW sale credit is one that will not be allowed with a Shareholder credit. I booked the cruise before 1/1/09. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and after a short time on hold, was told both credits were applied. :) I still have no written confirmation of the WOW Sale credit, so I can only hope it will be there when we board. :rolleyes:

Archived