Marmaris, Turkey...?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

You will find that a lot of the shops and resteraunts around the Harbour bazar and tourist areas are closed for the season. Although, Marmaris is a working town so there will be life.

We visit Marmaris twice a year, and have many Turkish friends, if the ship is docked I am sure they will be open for business.

The harbour area is beautiful and I am sure you will find plenty to do, most

popular trip in the summer months is Dalyan but I am not 100% certain that these continue in the winter months. Although, Marmaris has recently started a winter tourist trade, but mostly it is the All Inclusive hotels which stay open.

You could get the local bus to Icmeler which takes about 20mins is very pretty, again you will find it very quiet, Xmas day will find many X Pats partying around the beach area if the weather is good.

There is nothing better to do than sit having a nice meal around the harbour and watching the world go by, enjoy!!

We were there while on the Carnival Freedom at the end of October. We didn't do a shore excursion there as we just walked around this pretty seaside town. Lots of cafes-one offered free internet which we took advantage of and did some shopping in the bazaar (lots of "genuine fakes" stores selling purses and such), which was a lot of fun. Lots of sailboats there in the bay. A nice restful day on a port intensive cruise. Very friendly people and a ton of stray cats and kittens. My sister in law seemed to think the locals took care of the cats and kittens but still kind of sad. Good bargaining there as well (better than the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul). Besides the fake Gucci purse, we bought turkish rug bookmarks and other touristy things as we are not big shoppers. We liked it better than Istanbul.

Archived