Mexican Riviera - Weather/Rough Seas?

Judi2112

Sorry if I am repeating anything that has gone before.

We're cruising the Mexican Riviera on 21st December and would like to know what the weather may be like and if the seas are normally OK?

I suffer from bad seasickness and nothing I can buy over the counter in the UK seems to help. We'll be in LA for 3 days prior to the cruise. Can I go into a pharmacy there and get something which will work?

Thanks

There are more than enough places to get something to help with sea sickness.

It will probably be a bit cool the first couple of days. The seas were sometimes choppy on our Feb. Mexican Riviera cruise. Our Dec. - 3 day was such a whirlwind... I don't even remember!

Drugs (legal of course... but whateverver floats your boat!!:D), alcohol and fun... help us through any rough seas we may encounter.

Happy cruisin!!

We sailed from San Diego, which is slightly further south, leaving on 22nd December. The weather was beautiful, we were sunbathing in San Diego before we left. The sea was like glass the whole time.

I also suffer from really bad seasickness, however I discovered Bonine which you can purchase in the US. You should be able to get it in any drug store and it is normally sold onboard.

You only take 1 tablet a day and of course it doesn't work as well if you are already feeling sick. Therefore, I tend to take one every single night just before bed as a precaution (as they can make you a little drowsy). Since I started doing this and using Bonine about 3 years agao I have never had even a remote feeling of being ill. I also use it when flying etc.

December is usually nice. The seas seem to be worse when traveling northbound than southbound. The ship Dr and purser's desk also have generic Bonine for free. Have you tried the candied ginger? or wristbands? They work well for some people.

Have you tried the patch or it's pill equivalent? In the US you do need a perscription however.

A great remedy is green apples and Sprite/7 Up.

Stores to check out in the Los Angeles area are Longs, Walgreens, Savon, Target and Walmart. The first three are large drug stores, Target is similar to Walmart. Some are even open 24hr.

I believe Dec is usualy nice...we cruised to Baja a couple Decembers ago and had nice weather, but never to the Riv at that time of year. We are hoping the weather stays nice for our cruise at the end of Jan.

Each time we have cruised to Mexico the first and last day have been a bit cool and sometimes choppy

Usually coming back northbound is a bit rougher, because of the cross current along Baja California. As well, the ship is usually running at quite a high speed to make it's debarkation port time in LA, which makes the ride seem a bit rougher.

Can I go into a pharmacy there and get something which will work?

Thanks

You would need a prescription from a USA doctor to get anything behind the counter.

Have you tried the prescription transderm scopalamine patches? You place 1 behind the ear and replace every 72 hours. Dry mouth and blurred vision are the main side effects but those are better than tossing your cookies for 7 nights.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Something you can get in the UK at any health food store - Ginger caplets. They work really well for most people. Take as directed - I think its 2 caplets twice daily.

Also available in the drug stores in US - Bonamine - very effective for those days when it may be a bit rough. Works quickly. As previously stated, Bonamine is sold in the gift shop on most ships.

I'm from Canada and cant get Bonamine here - the Dr.'s want to give me gravol - no thanks, that just makes me sleepy. Bonamine made me just slightly tired. I think its also called Bonine - they will know what you are asking for.

Have a great cruise! or cuises!

Sue

I am on the sailing just before you!

I believe Bonine is a Brand name, if you can't find it, look also for Dramamine, and they also have a less drowsy version, which the generic is Meclizine.

I usually take one each night before bed, just in case.:o

Sorry if I am repeating anything that has gone before.

We're cruising the Mexican Riviera on 21st December and would like to know what the weather may be like and if the seas are normally OK?

I suffer from bad seasickness and nothing I can buy over the counter in the UK seems to help. We'll be in LA for 3 days prior to the cruise. Can I go into a pharmacy there and get something which will work?

Thanks

December is in the middle of our rainy season (what little rain we usually get during the year) in LA. So bring an umbrella. You didn't say where in LA you'll be staying. It's pretty big and widespread. Hopefully you're staying near the port in San Pedro, Long Beach (that's where Carnival leaves from, but is still pretty popular for other cruisers too), Santa Monica (many former Brits live there). Those areas will tend to be more milder than say, Hollywood, downtown LA (which I don't recommend for staying), the Valley (only good if planning to spend a lot of time in Universal Studios; other than the studios, we don't have too many touristy things to do here), which would tend to have daytime temperatures ranging from 50s to 80s, depending on how the wind is blowing. Also, visitors get amazed that it can get cold late at night, even if we rarely get snow.

If you go over to the Western Destinations area here on Cruise Critic and ask what stores are near your hotel, you may get some good info.

There will usually be a little rocking on your final day going back toward LA. One thing I tried on my Hawaiian cruise (which is a rough seas cruise) is ginger. You can get candied ginger at many grocery stores around here (our major grocery stores in LA are Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons). There's also ginger flavored Altoids -- Walmart, Cost Plus, and sometimes Target carries these. If you're not on any other medications, this may be a good option for you.

The drug stores listed above in another post will have over the counter motion sickness remedies such as Bonine, Dramamine. I'm suspectible to drowsiness so I avoid those.

I take Avomine. It works for me. The doctor onboard one of the P&O ships was giving it out one year.

You can get it at Boots. You get it over the counter. Sometimes they have to order it in for you from the pharmacy. It doesn`t take long.

Hope you won`t need anything.:)

Archived