Passport Expired AARRGG

oooohDonna

Cruising 12/4/08 and filling out registration and my passport expired Feb. 2008! Had no clue! So wondering, who thinks I can get back in 4 weeks time? I know I can expedite it for EXTRA $60.00, making total $160.00 for renewal and get in 2 weeks time.

I'm just debating wheather to not worry about rushing it right now and using my birth certificate and drivers license as ID.

What are your opinions or what would you do?

Thanks, D

I mailed my renewal application the end of August (Friday before Labor Day) and it took exactly four weeks to receive my new passport. One of the questions on the application is the date you are planning to travel and will need the passport back by. I didn't need it back until the end of this month. (It took 10 days for the application to get there. :rolleyes:) Since you will need yours back soon, it could go faster for you than it did me.

I think you have time to get it without paying for expediting it - but I would suggest mailing the application by priority mail so it gets there quicker than mine did.

From the Carnival site:

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gif

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements.

AIR TRAVEL

Passports are required for air travel to or from Europe, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation port. Guests must travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Passport Services (click here) can also assist with step-by-step instructions and application assistance.

All guests must present the required documentation at embarkation. Guests without the required documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued. Please understand that Carnival will strictly enforce this requirement to be in compliance with this important U.S. Government mandate.

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements. Carnival strongly recommends guests travel with a passport since it will expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security. U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

From the Carnival site:

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gif

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements.

Please note that this information is outdated. The U.S. government will not be requiring passports for U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises within the Western Hemisphere. Carnival has updated some of its website but not all of it.

"Please note that this information is outdated. The U.S. government will not be requiring passports for U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises within the Western Hemisphere. Carnival has updated some of its website but not all of it."

Things do change. I suppose that is why they direct customers to the state dept. link. for current and updated information.

I sent mine on Oct. 20, and my check cleared my bank on Oct. 23. But I still haven't received the passport nor does my status show up on the official Web Site. Crossing my fingers for Nov. 26 departure!

Aloha!

I sent mine priority mail today. I feel pretty confident I will get it in time and I bet you do too!

BUT, you can still go to Bahamas with DL and Birth Cert. , can't you?

Cruising 12/4/08 and filling out registration and my passport expired Feb. 2008! Had no clue! So wondering, who thinks I can get back in 4 weeks time? I know I can expedite it for EXTRA $60.00, making total $160.00 for renewal and get in 2 weeks time.

I'm just debating wheather to not worry about rushing it right now and using my birth certificate and drivers license as ID.

What are your opinions or what would you do?

Thanks, D

Just use your BC on this cruise and then get your passport when you get back.

Archived