Dawn in Drydock

cajunpepsi

If you go to Princess website, access Bridge Cams, the Dawn is in Freeport, undergoing overhaul. Looking forward to the April cruise.

I just noticed that myself...my question is...what happens if it's STILL in drydock when the next scheduled cruise comes around? Obviously it's not likely to happen, but what would become of the passengers, etc?

I just noticed that myself...my question is...what happens if it's STILL in drydock when the next scheduled cruise comes around? Obviously it's not likely to happen, but what would become of the passengers, etc?

It won't happen because they are only allowed a certain amount of time in the dock as just last weekend the Carnival Victory was in the drydock station that the Dawn is in. There is usually a wait to find drydock space. Also, I have heard ont his board that the actual drydock will only be 6 or 7 days (engine replacement), and that there willbe a wetdock for the rest of the 20 days. So Iw ould not worry abou any cruises being cancelled. I actually think that they have more time than they needed for it, but did could not change the schedules any more than they already have.

Kkorman is correct. The cruise ships "book" time at the facility and have enough experience to plan how much time is needed for everything. That's one reason why they don't run to drydock as soon as there is a problem. They need time to plan, book and schedule the work as well as coordinate that the right equipment and mechanical stuff is there and available during the docking.

Sometimes, things have to be ordered and specially-built so that has to be taken into account. For instance, I'll bet the new engine isn't off-the-shelf but had to be ordered. This drydock is a huge undertaking with a lot of coordination involved.

Archived