Are 1st timers allowed at the Past Guest Party?

Avril

And in all my 7 years of cruising, I have never seen an invitation that said, and guest on a past guest party invite. And trust me, I have OCD and have to read every single word of every single paper I am given.

So of course, you know better than all the other people posting on here, and they must be lying when they say they've received such an invite. Honestly, can you even hear what you're saying??

I went on CCL for the first time with a bunch of pro CCL cruisers---mostly Platinums, some simply past guests. Guess what? I received my OWN invite. Ta-da. Yeah, obviously Carnival HATES that non-past-guests attend.

Some of you need to readjust your panties and realize that it's not IMMORAL to attend a party. Where I was raised, it was absolutely good manners to bring ONE date/guest with you to a formal party, and it was understood that this would happen. Just because where you were raised there were different local MORES does NOT mean yours are right, and mine are wrong.

Admit that you are not the final arbiter of correct manners. Admit there are obviously regional variations. Admit that CARNIVAL is the host and can decide who to allow, so all your whining about "Even if Carnival says so, it's STILL inappropriate, as they aren't past guests, wah, wah, wah" means absolutely diddley-squat. Some of you guys are a bit frighteningly obsessed with "keeping the riffraff out". Sigh.

You have the right to ask any question you want. Unfortunately, some people on this board enjoy being rude.

I haven't seen any rude posts. If you disagree with OP that doesn't make you rude. With as many threads as this topic has had, it's still divided as to what's right or wrong. Ask for an invitation for her, don't just crash the party.

Just curious.........how many on here take or took advantage of using a past guest to book a cabin at past guest price then switched cabins after they board? Isn't that perk also just for past guests? Sure it says as long as one person is a past guest in the cabin it is ok, which is fair but I'm talking about the ones that book a cabin with a past guest just to get the discount....then switch back into a cabin where both passengers are not entitled to the discount........

I have been on three CCL cruises. On both DH and I were past guests and we each received our own invitations.

I do have one dilema. Although I know that the past guest party is for past guests and I agree that a first timer is not invited here is my situation. I am also on a May 2009 Freedom cruise. DH and I are taking DS (3 yo) and MIL and FIL. While I agree that MIL and FIL should not go to the party because they are not past guests, do you think it would be ok to take DS if MIL and FIL will not keep him during this time?

I am very cognizant of when DS is not invited to events such as a wedding that his name or "and family" is not on the invitation he is not invited. But on vacation, he will only be 3.

I just want your thoughts, I have thought about not even going to the party even though DH and I enjoy it and think it would be neat for DS to see all the boats we've been on.

Start the Flaming, I can take it.

I am very cognizant of when DS is not invited to events such as a wedding that his name or "and family" is not on the invitation he is not invited. But on vacation, he will only be 3.

I just want your thoughts, I have thought about not even going to the party even though DH and I enjoy it and think it would be neat for DS to see all the boats we've been on.

Start the Flaming, I can take it.

;) That's a whole different issue, I think. I'm pretty sure a 3 y/o would be bored out of his mind at a PGP. Really. REALLY. Bored. I would never take a kid under 10 or so, no matter how well behaved. It'd be cruel and unusual punishment. Hehe.

I admit I did not read through all the "stuff", but just wanted to add that I have seen the invitations that said "and guest" and I have seen the invitations that did not say this.

The next time I see one that says "and guest", I will take a photo.

(I don't want to keep it because that would mean one less shot at that bottle of champagne!!) ;)

Just got off the Valor. My invite did not say "and guest" but took DH anyway. They made a joke at the door but let him in, even the Cruise Director made jokes about the first timers there. It is not a big deal. All the past guest party is really a giant ad for Carnival so I am sure they feel the more the merrier!

Good grief what is the problem here? I was just on a cruise, invited to the past guest party, was with a first time cruiser, called the purser's desk and asked what am I to do and they said you are allowed to bring 1 guest. Enough said!

One would think. But it sure seems to get the elitists blood boiling.

;) That's a whole different issue, I think. I'm pretty sure a 3 y/o would be bored out of his mind at a PGP. Really. REALLY. Bored. I would never take a kid under 10 or so, no matter how well behaved. It'd be cruel and unusual punishment. Hehe.

Many adults are also bored.

I wonder how many wait for their entire family to become Platinum before using VIP embarkation? Answer: None.

The problem is too many people feel entitled. We had a private party on the Valor for a small group of 20. It was very well marked at the door yet folks kept trying to weasel their way in and grab a drink. My son was on the Valor again a couple of weeks ago and although he is VIP he and his wife got their passes and then joined the rest of their group through the regular line. I think it all comes down to how you were raised, whether or not you have respect for the system or for others around you. Some people get a charge out of gaming any system.

Dan you wrote: Are you now going to mimic your hero and break into a long eloquent, and smoooothly delivered speech thats says absolutely nothing about anything?

Hmm. About whom are you referencing here? You wouldn't happen to be talking about a politician would you? I hope not because you do know that's against CC rules and remember you always follow the rules.

Indeed. Punishment for other people at the PGP as well as the little one. The times I've seen young'uns at PGPs, they have been bored out of their gourds and running around, while their parents ignore them. I'm sure there were well-behaved ones there that I didn't notice (so don't get out the flamethrowers), but it's the wild ones that the waiters and older guests are dodging that really catch your eye.

So of course, you know better than all the other people posting on here, and they must be lying when they say they've received such an invite. Honestly, can you even hear what you're saying??

I went on CCL for the first time with a bunch of pro CCL cruisers---mostly Platinums, some simply past guests. Guess what? I received my OWN invite. Ta-da. Yeah, obviously Carnival HATES that non-past-guests attend.

Some of you need to readjust your panties and realize that it's not IMMORAL to attend a party. Where I was raised, it was absolutely good manners to bring ONE date/guest with you to a formal party, and it was understood that this would happen. Just because where you were raised there were different local MORES does NOT mean yours are right, and mine are wrong.

Admit that you are not the final arbiter of correct manners. Admit there are obviously regional variations. Admit that CARNIVAL is the host and can decide who to allow, so all your whining about "Even if Carnival says so, it's STILL inappropriate, as they aren't past guests, wah, wah, wah" means absolutely diddley-squat. Some of you guys are a bit frighteningly obsessed with "keeping the riffraff out". Sigh.

For your info, here are just a few thoughts from people in the manners business. A few minutes of searching the 'net would show you many, many more. Now you will be informed and can not be un-informed.

Use or loose the info as you wish.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Weddings-1546/uninvited-guests.htm

my daughter will be getting married in september. we have just begun to receive her reception response cards back. on one card that we had invited 3 people, they responded that 4 people would attend. we are fairly certain that the extra guest is their 15 year old daughters boyfriend. so, my question is, do i just let it go, or do i call and ask them who the extra person is? i really don't want to cause hard feelings, but i also think that it sure takes alot of nerve to do something like that!!! thank you for any advice you can give.

Answer

Nancy,

I am afraid the best way to handle this is just to deal with it. I have never done a wedding where this didn't happen.

My answer is to kill another persons rudeness with extra politeness.

Enjoy your special time with your daughter!

Best Wishes,

Jerri

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Offending-Uninvited-Guests

If An Uninvited Person Shows Up

1. The worst thing that you can do is make a scene, or to ask the person to leave. It will run much more smoothly if you act maturely about it and do not draw attention to it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://www.nj.com/homegarden/entertaining/index.ssf/2007/10/how_to_handle_uninvited_party.html

It's also best to avoid a response card on which people write in the number of guests who will be attending. This is a spot where people can try to squeeze in an extra guest. Instead, Post recommends a response card that allows the guest to simply indicate whether they will attend.

Fortunately, RSVP cards usually indicate whether a guest misunderstood the invitation. Post recommends calling the guest if they've added their children or a plus-one to the RSVP card. Nicely explain there isn't room for extra guests. "Say, "I'd love for you to bring a date but we're limited on space,"' Post says.

Most people understand the rules, but others refuse to accept that their children or boyfriend-of-two-weeks weren't invited. "Some people still try to bully their way in with a guest," Post says.

Party planner Ali Phillips also sees uninvited guests showing up at special events. She agrees with Post and said most people simply didn't understand their little one or a date wasn't welcome.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dan

It is really really sad that some try sooo hard to push their moral values on others:( It is right up their with those religious yahoos that go door to door trying to sell their beliefs.........I love nothing more then to hear sweet sound of that slamming door:rolleyes:

If you feel it's wrong then don't do it........plain and simple.

For your info, here are just a few thoughts from people in the manners business. A few minutes of searching the 'net would show you many, many more. Now you will be informed and can not be un-informed.

Ah. You don't care whether someone else holds an opinion that differs from yours. You simply want to "educate" those of us who are so very, very, very wrong in how we live our lives. And you, and your "internet sources" MUST be correct, even though we can't even get a consensus on this board, much less anywhere else. And a wedding is SO similar to a past-guest-party. *eye roll*

Thanks for the alert, so I don't waste any more time on you.

Just a curious question here...as I have almost always been a solo-cruiser...do two parties in a room (say, a husband and wife) both receive an invite to the Past Guest Party? I've always gone since invited, but have never taken anyone, since I rarely have roommates, whether first-timers or experienced cruisers.

TIA for your kind responses.

Ah. You don't care whether someone else holds an opinion that differs from yours. You simply want to "educate" those of us who are so very, very, very wrong in how we live our lives. And you, and your "internet sources" MUST be correct, even though we can't even get a consensus on this board, much less anywhere else. And a wedding is SO similar to a past-guest-party. *eye roll*

Thanks for the alert, so I don't waste any more time on you.

Click on UserCP, add my name to your ignore list.

Amazing that your opinion differs from mine and that is fine with you. But mine differing from yours makes me wrong? How you live your life is entirely up to you. Me living my life in your manner is what would be very, very wrong.

Dan

It is really really sad that some try sooo hard to push their moral values on others:( It is right up their with those religious yahoos that go door to door trying to sell their beliefs.........I love nothing more then to hear sweet sound of that slamming door:rolleyes:

If you feel it's wrong then don't do it........plain and simple.

I don't tolerate government legislating morality, much less back seat cruisers.

I don't tolerate government legislating morality, much less back seat cruisers.

I'm reporting the rules, not creating them. You take great pleasure in shooting the messenger but you are the one trying to create rules to suit you and you alone. Proper conduct, yea or nay, is a choice each of us make. What is proper conduct is NOT a choice we get to make.

Dan

Archived