Samana: ship's tour Safari Adventure

flashdog_1

Piled into the back of an open air safari truck doesn't sound very comfortable. Has anyone done this tour? We are 68 and 72. 4 hrs activity level 2 it says.

Stops at a typical D.R. farm, then to beach: playa El Valle. How long at the beach? Anywhere to buy a drink?

Then on to a waterfall at La Cascada El Valle.

Return to pier thru the Lorna de la Pina Trail thru lush vegetation.

My map does not show where the ship's pier is or where the tender lets you off.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Piled into the back of an open air safari truck doesn't sound very comfortable. Has anyone done this tour? We are 68 and 72. 4 hrs activity level 2 it says.

Stops at a typical D.R. farm, then to beach: playa El Valle. How long at the beach? Anywhere to buy a drink?

Then on to a waterfall at La Cascada El Valle.

Return to pier thru the Lorna de la Pina Trail thru lush vegetation.

My map does not show where the ship's pier is or where the tender lets you off.

Thanks

If this is the same 4x4 Samana Safari we just went on - AVOID IT if at all possible. I feel it was extremely mis-represented, but check with others. Wasn't really a farm, just a pavillion where they had a table set up with various herbs, coffee, chocolate and passed it around for you to smell or taste-of course, had items on a table they wanted you to buy. The beach was filthy, small beach area with garbage, etc. around. The bathroom (if you want to call it that) was a box made of the curvy metal sheets (open in areas & you could see through it). Inside was a make shift toilet, no seat on mud floor - not sure if it was wet from rain or residual urine and there was a bucket of water next to it - we think you were expected to bucket water into the urinal that does not drain to anywere that we could tell. At the same place, there try to sell you pina colada's or beer for $5. The waterfall they took us to wasn't much in comparison to many of the beautiful small falls in Connecticut and was a mud path leading to it (watch your footing) and then to get over to the falls, they have sandbag (spread too far apart). Oh did I mention, there are many many children of various ages (beginning around 4 ish...) that want to grab your hand and walk with you to "help" you, and the tour guide told us to let them and then pay they. sorry- but we had so much sickness on our ship this trip and after seeing all the unsanitary conditions, I did not want to risk sickness by being touched. At one point in time, a young teenager tried to take my hand - but I noticed he was definitely eyeing my engagement ring. The whole thing made me feel very uncomfortable. Our tour was supposed to be 4 1/2 hrs...but really only about 3hr. Not worth the $64 excursion fee!

Like I said, please don't take my word for this, but try and check around and find others that took this excursion.

Hi, thanks for the information, I was considering taking this tour as well on EOS 2/13/09 but after reading your post, I am considering otherwise. We really want to go on the horseback excursion to the falls but the age lmit is 16 which excludes my 13 and 15 year almost forcing us to go on an independent tour instead. I am not the adventous type and generally if we venture further than the port (and if we are in port less than one day), I prefer ship sponsored tours (realizing that they are much more $) I may have to be a little more adventurous for this one.

Archived