Sorry, strange question about stingray city...

lovesublime

I was planning on booking stingray city and even though I'm a little creeped out from the eels, we're still going to go through with it! I am traveling with my children and also my elderly parents and we really wanted to do things togther that we would all enjoy. I am a little concerned about getting stung by the stingrays - especially for my kids. How safe is it really?

How safe is it really?

I'd say that it's about the same danger level as your local petting zoo, or feeding the geese or ducks at a local park. Actually, the ducks comparison is maybe closer. The animals are wild, but very used to being fed and not interested in you if you don't have any food for them. When you've got a handful of food, though, you're Ms. Popularity. :D

If you use common sense, you'll be fine. If you're nervous around the stingrays, don't take any of the food. They may swim by and sniff you at first, but as soon as they realize you don't have any snacks they'll completely ignore you...

Hi:

We have been to Stingray City many times and we have never seen an eel swimming around with the stingrays. My whole family loves this trip and Grand Cayman is our favorite cruise destination. We are considering taking a stand alone trip to the island this year, as all of our favorite cruise ships are not going to the Caribbean when we want to go. This is the only place I will snorkel, as I am not a water person. On the snorkeling portions of the excursions, the guides will sometimes coax a Moray eel out of hiding, but they are not just swimming around and you don't need to see it if you are not interested. The water is crystal clear and usually the currents are very mild. It works for me and the rest of the crazy scuba divers in my family alike. I wouldn't miss it!

My DH who is not a water person (but fell in love with snorkeling on the only cruise he has ever been on - June 08) was not enthused about the Stingray City excursion. He just couldn't have cared less that we were going out to see Stingrays.

I think in the end he enjoyed the Stingray trip almost more than anything else. They are fascinating and even if you don't get into the water it is still a spectacular sight. There were several people on our boat who didn't get into the water. We were there on a beautiful sunny day, the water was crystal clear and the experience was wonderful. I would do it again, probably multiple times!

We used a private company. They met us at the pier and took great care of us. We had plenty of time to shop and shore snorkel even after a Stingray City and Snorkel excursion. It was less expensive and less crowded than a cruise line excursion, we did get to spend more time in the water than most of the more crowded boats. I would at least try it once and be sure and take a book to enjoy the day if you decide it isn't your thing. But I bet you end up enjoying yourself!

And we didn't see eels at the sandbar or snorkeling either! :D

I'm sorry it was cancelled. Did you get to do anything else? Did you have a good trip?

Yes, we ended up spending the day at Rum Point Beach. It was very pretty, but it rained on off and it was cloudy most of the time. Grand Cayman is one of those places where I would definitely like to spend more time.

Archived