On Board Doctors

mcnabb3801

Last week on Mariner, I developed shingles. I was going to wait it out until I got home, but went to the ship's doctor instead because of the pain and discomfort. The charge to see the doctor and to get meds came to $364.50. If I were not medicare eligible, it would have been $108 for the doctor instead of $78.

My insurance covers me all over the world. I contacted them when I came home, and because it "wasn't an emergency" the representative doesn't think it will be covered. Fortunately, we purchased cruise insurance that should cover the expenses after our primary carrier sends a letter of rejection.

On another cruise, my dad fell on the ship and needed medical attention. There was no fee for that because it was ship related/caused. It seems the posting indicating visits to the MD were paid by the ship because they were caused by the ship in one way or another.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to a doctor if needed, but if I could wait until I got home, I would do so.

they have basic medical care, the dr's are good but they arent equipped for long term care or serious emergencies (they air lift them off the ship or at the next port) i injured myself pre-cruise and they were great with supplies and my daughter got ill and we were able to purchase some cold medication...while in the waiting room we met a woman who broke her tibia getting off the transport bus (not carnivals) and they were not able to do much and actually encouraged her to leave the ship in grand Caymen and fly home, she chose to stay.....i think you might have a hit or miss depending on how many times you see the dr and for what...perhaps you can get meds (to dry up your ears) from your family dr

This past September I was on a New England/Canada cruise and just left Nova Scotia when I passed out onboard the NCL Dawn. I spent 12 hours in the medical center. My blood pressure and heart were monitored the entire time, blood work was done and I had an IV & EKG. I was never left alone and I was given a copy my EKG and a report to give to my family doctor. The bill was $1200.00 and charged to my seapass. I just received

reembursement from my insurance company for the full amount. I did take out travel insurance, but I didn't need it. That's a good thing because I told the doctor I passed out at home a few weeks before the cruise, and pre existing conditions are not covered.

I wasn't aware that health insurance pays for medical visits outside of the country??

It depends on your health insurance plan. One thing to remember, Medicare does not pay for medical visits outside the country.

So what would happen if someone did not have thousands of dollars available to pay for medical costs up front? We have purchased travel insurance and are double covered with our medical insurances that will cover us out of country, but it sounds as if there were any emergencies we would have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Just wondering what would they do deny treatment?

On the Legend in October I broke my toe on the last sea day. I slipped on deck and one toe folded under my foot. I saw the doctor, had x-rays taken, and got Tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain. They didn't charge me for any of it. I did have the option to check out a cane for $35, but I would've had to return it before leaving the ship the next morning and didn't want the fuss.

Plus I'd already missed over half of our CC group cocktail party and needed something to go with the pain meds. :D

Archived