St. Vincent instead of Grenada

EileenN

We stopped at St. Vincent last December on Sun Princess. It was a beautiful island, but definitely not as developed as some of the other islands....very steep and volcanic. We took the St. Vincent Garden Tour that the ship offered and it was good. We visited two different botanical gardens, one right on the edge of Kingstown, the capital, and the other Montreal Gardens, which was especially beautiful, in the interior by Mesopotamia Valley. Our tour guide, Andrew, worked for the government forestry service on weekdays (we were there on a Saturday) and had gone to college in upstate New York. He was very informative! Our drive through the interior of the island was an eye-opener....the "highways" are narrow, scary and bumpy, to say the least, and much of the housing was very poor. As we drove through the capital, it seemed to me (although I am somewhat timid in a new place) that it was not a place that I would want to wander around on my own. The pier area was nice, very new with a few small shops....our guide said that they were trying to attract more cruise ship business. Hope that helps some....have a great trip!

Unlike the smaller Grenadines (Bequia, Mustique, etc.), the main island of St. Vincent is not known for great beaches though there are a few hidden gems. It is, however, an ecotourist's paradise with something for everyone, no matter what your age or fitness level.

At the top end of exertion is a climb up the Soufriere volcano - 2 hours or more each way plus a long drive to get there, but well worth it when you reach the top. (Take a sweater - it's cold up there!)

At the other end, is a taxi tour around Kingstown including a visit to historic Fort Charlotte and the Botanical Gardens, the oldest in the Western Hemisphere.

One of my personal favourites is a boat trip up the west coast to the Falls of Baleine (note that part of this is a short scramble across some rocks). Most trips also include a stop at one of the locations where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed and a beach/snorkelling stop at pretty Mount Wynne Bay.

Another excellent trip takes you through the centre of the island to the spectacular Mesopotamia Valley and then up to the Montreal Gardens, a labour of love incorporating formal gardens, mountain views and tropical rain forest.

Waterfall lovers in good shape will enjoy a hike into the triple Trinity Falls whereas those less fit would enjoy picnicking and splashing at the newly opened Darkview Falls in a romantic bamboo glade. If you go to Darkview Falls, you might also have time to work in a short hike up the Buccament Nature Trail, home to the endangered St. Vincent parrot. The best time to see them is in the late afternoon, but you will certainly hear them calling all around you (sounding a bit like a squeaky rocking chair).

Although the real beauty of St. Vincent is in the country, Kingstown itself is entertaining too - a raffish rowdy West Indian town - some tourists find it intimidating; others are fascinated by the street-life and the colonial architecture (much sadly being torn down in the name of progress). It's fun to go from visiting the bizarre St. Mary's church to the austere Anglican church next door. Drop in for a rum in the Cobblestone Hotel bar. Visit the lively markets (but people do expect you to ask permission before taking their pictures!).

The largest tour companies are Fantasea and Hazeco, both entirely reputable. I usually go with a Mom and Pop outfit called Chez Norris who do personal tailored tours for small groups at reasonable rates, and they always include a great lunch. Their email address is gotalife@caribsurf.com.

P.S. If you really are set on beaches, take a taxi to one of the hotels in the area called Villa, just north of the airport and hang out there. All beaches in St. Vincent are public. That includes the beach at Young Island Resort, also in Villa and accessible by a short (really short) ferry ride.

Hope this whets your appetite !

Archived