A Cruiser's Day Tour of Cozumel

Orleanstar

Calling all Cozumel posters (Sally, Caro, Tom, etc.) ...

As I have mentioned in other posts, we have rented a jeep the day we’re in port (Thurs. Dec. 9th/04) to explore as much of the island as is "reasonably" possible given that we are in only part of a day (if all goes well we're in at 10:00 A.M. and we sail at 7:00 P.M.) This is a "holiday" above all else, so a hectic day that is overplanned is definitely not what we're looking for!

The one thing I'm trying to gauge right now is how much traffic I'm going to have to “fight” my way through so that I can plan what is “reasonably possible” to do that day.

Given that our ship (the VOS) is the 9th!! in port that morning (and another comes in behind us still) it's going to be a very busy day in Cozumel, for sure! I therefore suspect that there's going to be plenty of traffic (taxis, cruise tour buses, etc.) down the length of the West side before we “break free” past Playa Planacar as cruise the rest of the island, so my questions assume this level of traffic.

Therefore, how much time would you estimate it would take (given us pulling out of the port area in our jeep at 10:30) to:

(1) get from the International Pier down to ParadiseBeach? (so we can to drop off school supplies for Chrysalis! and say HI! To Tom); and then

(2) get from from PB all the way down to Punta Sur??

Also, what are the spped limits on Cozumel roads??

As for the rest, tell me if I’m wrong in my time estimates:

We’ll go see Punta Sur (est. approx. 1 hr. here)

… and then loop up and around the East side to visit a couple of the best beaches, including a stop at Coconuts for lunch (est. approx. 2 hrs to do all of this).

… after that, we’ll go see the ruins at San Gervasio (approx. 1 hr. in and out)

And then from there, I assume it should be a quick trip back to town from the gates at San G. … assuming that we don’t get held up at the police checkpoint!!! , since I have read of some problems being encountered here! << Any comments as to what this stop may be and how long I should allow for the worst circumstances?? >>

From this checkpoint, would 20 min. back to the piers be a reasonable assumption, assuming that it would be approx. 4:00 P.M. at this point?

Once back in town, we could do a quick stop at the museum (20 min.) and then a little shopping (30 min.) before we have to return to the pier to turn in the jeep.

If we still had a little time at this point, we would stop in at the pier to Pancho's Backyard for a quick drink before getting back on the ship before 6:30. <<Is this one almost as good as the "main" one back in town?? >>

Overall, do you see any problems with how much I've allowed for the day??

Your assistance/ comments are greatly appreciated!!

All the best

Scott

The only real traffic you will find the whole day is the stretch through town on your way back to the boat.

(1) get from the International Pier down to ParadiseBeach? (so we can to drop off school supplies for Chrysalis! and say HI! To Tom); and then

This should only take you 10-15 minutes max. It is a straight shot down the road. But FYI, your stop at PB may take you longer. Tom is so nice and the beach there is way cool.

(2) get from from PB all the way down to Punta Sur??

Approx. another 10-15 minutes.

Also, what are the spped limits on Cozumel roads??

It varies from 30-70Km.

We’ll go see Punta Sur (est. approx. 1 hr. here)

I could spend all day there...between the lighthouse, small ruins, crocodiles, and awesome snorkeling...

… and then loop up and around the East side to visit a couple of the best beaches, including a stop at Coconuts for lunch (est. approx. 2 hrs to do all of this).

Good estimate but could easily add another hour.

… after that, we’ll go see the ruins at San Gervasio (approx. 1 hr. in and out)

From Coconuts to San Gervasio takes about 15-20 minutes, don't forget. See my comment about the museum.

And then from there, I assume it should be a quick trip back to town from the gates at San G. … assuming that we don’t get held up at the police checkpoint!!! , since I have read of some problems being encountered here! << Any comments as to what this stop may be and how long I should allow for the worst circumstances?? >>

The checkpoint has not been up the past several times I have gone past over the last couple of weeks. And before, they were only checking people going from West to East.

From this checkpoint, would 20 min. back to the piers be a reasonable assumption, assuming that it would be approx. 4:00 P.M. at this point?

If you are going back to TMM, good estimate. But if you are going back into town, you have to consider parking or rather the lack of it! Read on....

Once back in town, we could do a quick stop at the museum (20 min.) and then a little shopping (30 min.) before we have to return to the pier to turn in the jeep.

Road is torn up in front of museum...you won't find a parking space easily. I would pick either San Gervasio OR the museum but not both. I would also suggest shopping at Cinco Soles at the pier.

If we still had a little time at this point, we would stop in at the pier to Pancho's Backyard for a quick drink before getting back on the ship before 6:30. <<Is this one almost as good as the "main" one back in town?? >>

If you go to Los Cinco Soles on the pier, then you could hit Pancho's there too. Then there isn't the rush about getting back to the pier on time because you are already there. I would allow extra time getting back to the pier.

Enjoy your trip!

Muchas gracias Scott! I'm always happy to try and help. Anything I can do to make someone else's visit here enjoyable is my pleasure! Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will see what I can do.

Wow Caro (Solita)!! Impressive! I had all those answers in my head when reading Orleanstar's post, scrolled down, and there you were all efficient/knowledgeble/omnipotent-like with the answer!

If I may though, one gentle correction. You transposed a couple of words....

This should only take you 10-15 minutes max. It is a straight shot down the road. But FYI, your stop at PB may take you longer. Tom is so nice and the beach there is way cool.

Should read, "Tom is so COOL and the beach there is way NICE."

Hey, you're forgiven, could happen to anybody!! biglaugh.gif

Should read, "Tom is so COOL and the beach there is way NICE."

Silly me...what was I thinking?! Thank you for catching my error Tom aka Senor Cool. Your new nickname is very appropriate. By the way, what are you doing working so late? You are just a part-timer.

Tom, this board is supposed to help answer questions, not confuse people further.

Tom is so nice and the beach is way cool. End of story.

Your German detour smiley was also extremely helpful. Now I can finally figure out how to ride through town.

spocht3.gif

What some people will do to increase their post count!!

fam32.gif

Actually I found PB Tom's road sign to be quite "profound"!

In order to "bypass" (Umleitung) the errors of others you must first read (lesen) and think (denken) before you post, to get past the red circle and and reach your ultimate destination (the benefit of all Cruise Critic members who read your postings). Very deep indeed!

However, I'm not quite sure about the 80 metres part -- is that how far a walk it is between the bar at PB and the water's edge with a pina colada in your hand as you dream this stuff up??

By the way Tom, seeing that you're from Montreal, maybe you also speak French? If so, perhaps we could continue our German philosophy discussion in French and find a "made-in-Cozumel" solution to the following question:

"Warum ist es, wenn ich beginnen Sie, Spaß zu haben, den der Barmixer immer aus meiner Lieblingsmarke heraus laufen läßt?"

Seriously, if there's anything else you can suggest to my rather fully planned day, feel free! I really appreciate the effort and ideas you, Sally and Caro and so many other Cozumel posters put into these boards!

All the best and look forward to meeting you Dec. 9th!

Scott

I forgot to mention that there usually is a police tent setup if you head south from the pier. They are there perhaps 80% of the time I go by. They don't stop everyone and many times don't stop anyone. Just remember to have your seatbelts fastened. I have been by where they were just checking moped registrations and not even stopping cars. It's not a big police check point...not military guys with guns, just a couple of guys sitting under a tent.

Solita:

Your info and assistance are always appreciated!

Hopefully I can say high at the pier, if we're not too late to dock vs. your tour times ... it would be a pleasure say "thanks" in person!

Best regards

Scott

Archived