Another question please-about dining

Fruitloopz

Okay I am onboard with the idea of the freestyle dining but how do we make reservations for the cover charge dining areas? Do we just go to each one we would like to dine at and ask for a reservation for a time we would like to go? or how does that work?

In addition to making reservations by phone or by visiting the central reservation desk (usually in the atrium but not always), you can make reservations in person at each restaurant. As for time slots, it's no different than a land-based restaurant. Ask for your preferred time and, if it's available, you'll get a confirmation. If not, they will tell you what's available.

We were in an AB for a 13 nighter on the Jade this Summer. I could have used the concierge but that was an inconvenience for us. Along with my DB and DSIL (who were traveling with us), we met up with two other wonderful couples with whom we dined almost every night. It was easier for me to just call and make the reservation myself.

We tended to eat early - around 6 or so..and never had a problem.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Also, just to be honest, 9 times out of 10 you might not even need the reservation. If you for sure want to dine at a certain time on a certain night, then my all means get the reservation, but if on the spur of the moment you decide you might like to try one of the speciality restaurants, go by their hostess desk and I bet you can probably get in that night. Only exception I can think of is Teppanyaki and you almost will always need a reservation for it.

Also, just to be honest, 9 times out of 10 you might not even need the reservation. If you for sure want to dine at a certain time on a certain night, then my all means get the reservation, but if on the spur of the moment you decide you might like to try one of the speciality restaurants, go by their hostess desk and I bet you can probably get in that night. Only exception I can think of is Teppanyaki and you almost will always need a reservation for it.

Agreed there Teppanyaki fills up fast for the week so do it pronto......Great experience!!

I was on the Jewel last month. There was a message in the daily newsletter, "Freestyle Daily", that clearly stated that reservations were NOT needed in ANY of the restaurants on board, and only necessary if you wanted to eat at a specific time, like for a specific occasion. Only once did we see anyone being turned away, and that was at Le Bistro (the French restaurant) one night. (I don't know if they came back later...when we saw that the restaurant was nearly empty).

We never saw any lines or crowding at Teppanyki, either. So I guess you can bother with reservations...or be flexible, take your chances, show up, and if there's room, they'll be happy to seat you. If not, they'll tell you how long the wait might be, and you can either wait, or try one of the other speciality restaurants.

I was on the Jewel last month. There was a message in the daily newsletter, "Freestyle Daily", that clearly stated that reservations were NOT needed in ANY of the restaurants on board, and only necessary if you wanted to eat at a specific time, like for a specific occasion. ...

Sort of true, but surely not realistic. If the restaurant is full, you ain't gonna get in. Simple fact of life. The reason you would not see a line is because people either knew better, or when they asked were told they were full for the night, so don't bother standing in line, cause you ain't gonna get in.

I was on the Jewel last month. There was a message in the daily newsletter, "Freestyle Daily", that clearly stated that reservations were NOT needed in ANY of the restaurants on board, and only necessary if you wanted to eat at a specific time, like for a specific occasion. Only once did we see anyone being turned away, and that was at Le Bistro (the French restaurant) one night. (I don't know if they came back later...when we saw that the restaurant was nearly empty).

We never saw any lines or crowding at Teppanyki, either. So I guess you can bother with reservations...or be flexible, take your chances, show up, and if there's room, they'll be happy to seat you. If not, they'll tell you how long the wait might be, and you can either wait, or try one of the other speciality restaurants.

Not sure what cruise you were on but the specialty rest. are almost always full at dinner time (6-730) and if you ever dined at teppanayki

you know that it takes 1 hour+ to go through the service and the place

only holds 30 or so people so do the math.....:cool: I would book the

reservation:rolleyes:

Not sure what cruise you were on but the specialty rest. are almost always full at dinner time (6-730) and if you ever dined at teppanayki

you know that it takes 1 hour+ to go through the service and the place

only holds 30 or so people so do the math.....:cool: I would book the

reservation:rolleyes:

I was on the Jewel, 10/8 to 10/18. We ate at Teppanyaki..without a reservation. And at Chin-Chin, Le Bistro, and Tangos. We had a reservation at Mammas (2 for 1, only between 7:30 and 8:30), and again at Le Bistro (2 for 1). We didn't make reservations for the others at all.

We generally ate between 5:30 - 7:30, except for the nights when we took advantage of the 2/1, and so ate later.

So yes, you can make reservations..which I state. But I ALSO spent a lot of time strolling (well, wheeling, in my power chair) around the ship, and only saw ONE specialty restaurant full, ONE night (Le Bistro), and only for an hour or so...later folks were being seated without a problem.

And it DOES state in the Freestyle Daily -- here's the direct quote -- "Reservations aren't required for any of our restaurants. But if you want to make a reservation, say for a special occasion, feel free."

WOW.. that is amazing. Of four cruises with NCL I have never seen Teppanyaki not sold out every night, reservations only. I do know we have noticed the "popularity" of specialty restaruants declining, so maybe it has hit Teppanyaki.

WOW.. that is amazing. Of four cruises with NCL I have never seen Teppanyaki not sold out every night, reservations only. I do know we have noticed the "popularity" of specialty restaruants declining, so maybe it has hit Teppanyaki.

I dont mean to get off the topic, but...

Terry,

Whatever happened to your thread about your unexpected "perks"? Did it disappear?

If your preference is to dine early (5:30-6:30) you're best to make a reservation. The earlier you go without a reservation, the less likely you'll be seated. This of course is for "specialty" restaurants only. The main dining rooms may have a short wait if any at all.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Archived