Saga Pearl II open seating?

thames_side

I got the brochure today showing the ship to replace Saga Rose.

Seems to me she is a nice small size and a fairly traditional look which is good. One or two things surprise me though. There is no proper alternative dining spot like View on Ruby - they plan to tart up the lido in the evenings but that is not quite the same thing. Also they have gone for open seating in the restaurant. I suppose this is becoming more popular but I should have thought most Saga cruisers quite like the traditional fixed table arrangement in the evenings.

(I know there is a Saga thread but that seems more like a general chat room)

I tend to agree with you. I have always cruised fixed seating at dinner and prefer it that way. I wonder if saga have consulted their customers on the subject.

There are a couple of other things I noticed from the deck plans:

1) Although there is a "Promenade Deck" it does not have any open areas.

:confused:

I have to say I do not like the look of her. I love proper wrap-around promenade decks and this one is pathetic. As a solo traveller I also prefer fixed seating at dinner. She is a bit small too for me for longer voyages or rough weather travel.

I have recently completed a cruise on board 'Queen Victoria'. On this occasion we dined in the Queens Grill. It was interesting to note that Cunard have an abundance of tables for two in their Grill Restaurants. This is in response to the demand for such table configuration, although it continues to be a fixed table allocation.

In many instances passengers do not wish to be seated with the same passengers for breakfast lunch and dinner, we have all met those who can 'bore' for their country! Open dining allows passengers who wish to dine together to do so, and those, who on occasions may wish to dine alone, can do likewise. The 'dine around' principal is growing fast in popularity. I can only assume Saga is responding to passenger 'feed-back'. I fully support the arrangement. I have cruised only once with Saga on board 'Saga Rose'.

Yes, I admit we sometimes go for a table for 2 if we are not feeling sociable - it does also have the advantage that you can eat when you like rather than feeling you should come to the table at the same time as the others. However in Cunard Grill Class you go to the same table for all meals whereas on Saga Rose it is open seating for breakfast & lunch. I found that in Grill Class for a table for 2 you were quite close to other tables for 2 or 4 and tended to get to know them. Am I right in thinking that Saga people are perhaps more sociable than Cunard Grill types and more likely to enjoy the party atmosphere of a fixed table?

Of course if you do find yourself on the table from hell (and we all have occasionally) you can usually get the maitre d to move you on fairly quickly!

• 2 years later...

Archived