Tipping cab drivers in Cozumel?

mercedes355

I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but are you supposed to tip cab drivers in Cozumel? For example, if the cab fare to Paradise Beach is $12, do I really need to budget $15 with tip. I'll be going to Paradise Beach on November 13, and I am trying to do some last minute budget calculations.

Jennifer

I never tip unless the driver does something really nice for me...like I need his help carrying something or if I need him to wait for me to run in somewhere. And then, it is only like 10-20 pesos ($1-$2 USD). Otherwise, I do not tip whether in town or going a longer distance. The taxi drivers are a BIG syndication and set their own rates...hence, there is "padding" within their rates.

The price at the taxi stand is per taxi NOT per person! My advice is to always ask the price before you get in the taxi. And it helps to have small bills or pesos. Drivers seem to never have cambio (change) for larger bills...in hopes of a big tip??? If you don't have small bills and the driver doesn't have change, then tell him that he needs to get change. "Necesito cambio!"

While cab drivers certainly appreciate it, and probably expect it, I also do not tip unless the driver has been particularly helpful. As Caro wrote, the taxi union is a very powerful one here in Cozumel and the locals suffer as a result. By suffer I mean the drivers will bypass locals in favor of tourists, raise their padded rates every couple of years and keep the island free of alternate means of transportation.

A friendly cab driver who takes time to talk to his/her passengers may well deserve something extra. Otherwise, it is not necessary to tip.

Some time back, I took a taxi back to my apartment. I did not ask the driver to do anything out of the ordinary...no special stops, no extra help from him. When we pulled in front of my building, I paid him the fare and then handed him a small tip and told him it was propina which is tip in spanish (the fare was under 40 pesos and gave him 10 peso tip so it was over 25%). He held up the tip and very sarcastically said "Is this it? Is this all you are giving me, is this all my tip?" I snatched the tip out of his hand and got out of the taxi. Now, I can also tell you some good stories and why I tipped those drivers.....

Archived