For those who need a Punta Sur map

BigJon

Did you snorkel from the beach?

You can snorkel from the beach. There are two beach sections. One you can not swim in and the other which you need to take a short truck ride to - provided by the park. You can bring your own equipment or rent it there.

This beach is known for the sea turtles.

If I remember correctly, I think the fee for the park (ecological park) is $5 pp which covers up to the lighthouse and museum. $10pp for the lighthouse, museum, truck ride to the snorkeling beach, chairs, hammocks, boat tour of lagoon etc. A great price for a great day.

485518735_DisneyCruise2008030.jpg.906ec65255b94a4eb41b7dab5628a630.jpgWe rented a jeep near the Punta Langosta pier and drove to Punta Sur. The entrance fee is $10 per person. You drive down a really bumpy road to the lighthouse and park there. Then you can get on a double decker bus and take a 20 minute bus ride to the beach. There were no rocks in the water at this beach (or at least I didn't see or feel any). There were hammocks, beach chairs and bathrooms. You could buy snacks and rent snorkel equipment. After we were there about 30 minutes, the ship excursions starting coming in. Some got in the water to swim, but most got their snorkel equipment and went with a guide in the water. There were a couple of "lifeguards" that rode jetskis and watched the snorkelers. After about 2 hours, we took the bus back to the lighthouse and walked to the top of the lighthouse. Great view. What really amazed me about this place was, on the west side where we docked (Disney Magic), the water was very rough. So I thought our beach day was not going to happen. But when we got to the beach at Punta Sur (the one the bus takes you to), the water was calm.

If you go on your own - rent a car. There are some ship excursions that go here but just for a short bit of snorkeling. I would recommend renting a car. It is a great place.

Where did you rent a car? I saw a link t this place, the prices look great and I would much rather have my own vehicle and go where I like that paying for a cab

http://www.islacozumel.net/services/lesspay/

Wow this pic is great!

What kind of camera did you use for the water shots?

Thank you.

The same camera for all shots.

A discontinued Canon A710IS with the Canon Waterproof case.

It has been superseded by the Canon A720IS and there is a case available for that model, also. I think this one may be discontinued in the not too distant future.

Archived