Dark Suit on Formal Night -- What Kind of Tie?

Cruller

My excuse is that mine was a gift. I am generously giving you the benefit of assuming that you did not personally enter a novelty shop and purchase these ...THINGS ...yourself. Or did you skulk under the anonimity of the on-line purchase facility offered by your local circus outfitters?

Gari

See, there is a splash of color--three splashes--take you pick!

My excuse is that mine was a gift. I am generously giving you the benefit of assuming that you did not personally enter a novelty shop and purchase these ...THINGS ...yourself. Or did you skulk under the anonimity of the on-line purchase facility offered by your local circus outfitters?

Gari

I think they're rather smart. Elegant, but in that subtle and understated way so typical of Cunard. They also have the supreme advantage that when, like me, you are at an age where dribbling has become a problem, you can cover them in sundry food items and nobody will notice.

J

I think they're rather smart. Elegant, but in that subtle and understated way so typical of Cunard. They also have the supreme advantage that when, like me, you are at an age where dribbling has become a problem, you can cover them in sundry food items and nobody will notice.

J

J , you shouild buy the computer one off from Gari--he might even give you a good price for it.

IThey also have the supreme advantage that when, like me, you are at an age where dribbling has become a problem, you can cover them in sundry food items and nobody will notice.

J

Not to worry Jimmy, it won't be long before you're on bread and milk then a simple white shirt front will suffice.

Gari.

I must admit that I was given each of these ties and about another 6 that I have not displayed. I teach some very long computer classes (6 weeks) and to maintain sanity we have a class name and theme. At the end of the course I normally get given something appropriate to the class name or inappropriate however you look at it. I have even worn these ties much to my wife's horror! You have admit that they provide a certain panache. :)

J , you shouild buy the computer one off from Gari--he might even give you a good price for it.

Actually I am quite taken by the computer one. Sadly though it's not Gari's to sell - it's Billet's.

Oh and by the way, getting a good price from a Yorkshireman is about as likely as the government abolishing income tax.

J

I must admit that I was given each of these ties and about another 6 that I have not displayed. I teach some very long computer classes (6 weeks) and to maintain sanity we have a class name and theme. At the end of the course I normally get given something appropriate to the class name or inappropriate however you look at it. I have even worn these ties much to my wife's horror! You have admit that they provide a certain panache. :)

Oh, I thought the computer tie was Gari's. Sorry!

You interested in selling that tie to Jimmy?

If my husband will be wearing a dark suit on formal night, what kind of tie should he wear? Will anything do--red, blue, yellow, patterned? Does it have to be "black"? Does it simply have to be subtle, like a nice solid gray?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We're looking forward to our Nov. 21st Caribbean trip in just 8 days.

This is cunard! you wear an evening suit with a black bow tie!

If not, go on a thompson holiday!

The choice is yours.

Wow, we love all the crazy ties. My husband actually has a real gem of a tie himself: Beavis & Butthead. I tried to find it so that I could post a picture, but I'm wondering if maybe I threw it out a few years ago... I can't remember. He doesn't have a need for it too often.

He has an extensive collection of nice ties that would go with a business suit. I just wasn't sure if there was a special protocol for what tie to wear when attending a black tie event. I had planned on getting him a Tuxedo and then time slipped away from me. It sounds like anything nice will be appropriate.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the meet and greet!

Wow. I think this is the first time no one suggested you rent a tuxedo on board...

Failing that, a dark suit with any color tie will look nice, as long as the tie is of a dark, rather more subdued color, and definitely NOT black--after all, you're not going to a funeral, are you?

Wow. I think this is the first time no one suggested you rent a tuxedo on board...

Failing that, a dark suit with any color tie will look nice, as long as the tie is of a dark, rather more subdued color, and definitely NOT black--after all, you're not going to a funeral, are you?

Failing that, he could put on a white shirt back to front and pretend he is a vicar. Unless, of course, he IS a vicar then it wouldn't be pretending.

Your best bet is to ask someone on this board for some advice. They'll be only too pleased to help.

Gari

Failing that, he could put on a white shirt back to front and pretend he is a vicar. Unless, of course, he IS a vicar then it wouldn't be pretending.

Your best bet is to ask someone on this board for some advice. They'll be only too pleased to help.

Gari

That's what they did, Gari. And you had the best advice of all, I'd say. I mean, pretend you are a vicar is quite creative, not to mention very useful, at least in this economy!:D

Curious...

What do the gents generally wear on semi formal nights? A suit, or would a jacket, tie and dress pants be appropriate?

Now then Smoothie, we've tumbled to your little game. Get back to practicing your double fishtail overlock,media-luna chassis twinkle steps with your mates Foxy and Big Tex. Dont come over here trying to start a riot among the peace-loving peoples of the 'Dress-Code' threads.

Gari

I called Cunard, and as I expected, they do not have tuxedos in Bill's size. The shortest inseam in his pant size is 3 inches too long. I suppose we could tape up the legs from the inside, but I'm thinking that a suit that fits him is probably a better option than a Tuxedo that is too long for him.

Still looking for the Beavis and Butthead tie... It might be nice for a night in TE.

Still looking for the Beavis and Butthead tie... It might be nice for a night in TE.

When you find it triple wrap it in industrial grade lead-lined plastic, lable it prominently as 'hazardous waste' and post it to Billet. He obviously has a secure containment facility for such horrors.

Note. Health & Safety directive No2899386. Section (iii) para 7.5.3 clearly states that :-

The handling of such objects must be undertaken with extreme caution.

Heavy gauntlets to BSI 597 specification must be employed.

In addition as these objects pose a serious risk to the eyes goggles to BSI 389 or above are mandatory.

Gari

Curious...

What do the gents generally wear on semi formal nights? A suit, or would a jacket, tie and dress pants be appropriate?

I won't speak for generally, but for foppish me it's:

Semi-Formal:

1) Ivory dinner jacket, black bow tie and cumberbund, tux pants.

2) Black velvet smoking jacket, bow tie, tux pants

3) Dark suit and 4-in-hand tie.

Elegant casual:

2 and 3, above, without the tie.

Probably more "formal" than "generally," but that's how I am.

I won't speak for generally, but for foppish me it's:

Semi-Formal:

1) Ivory dinner jacket, black bow tie and cumberbund, tux pants.

2) Black velvet smoking jacket, bow tie, tux pants

3) Dark suit and 4-in-hand tie.

Elegant casual:

2 and 3, above, without the tie.

Probably more "formal" than "generally," but that's how I am.

Words fail me.

Archived