Dark Suit on Formal Night -- What Kind of Tie?

Cruller

I called Cunard, and as I expected, they do not have tuxedos in Bill's size. The shortest inseam in his pant size is 3 inches too long. I suppose we could tape up the legs from the inside, but I'm thinking that a suit that fits him is probably a better option than a Tuxedo that is too long for him.

Still looking for the Beavis and Butthead tie... It might be nice for a night in TE.

Bill will be fine with a dark suit. There will certainly be other gentlemen who are wearing dark suits.

Renting a tuxedo on the QM2 is almost as expensive as buying one. If you really want him to wear a tux go to a tuxedo rental store locally and rent one or purchase one. They are not all that expensive to purchase and then you are set for your next cruise. If he went to a store tomorrow to select one, I would think they could have it ready for him by early next week.

But I think you are correct. He would look much better in a well fitting suit than a tuxedo that doesn't fit.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Beth

Curious...

What do the gents generally wear on semi formal nights? A suit, or would a jacket, tie and dress pants be appropriate?

I really believe that a suit is appropriate for a semi-formal night. At least, that is what we did. We saved the sports coat and trousers for elegant casual. But I do notice my documents say jacket and tie for semi-formal, so I guess it is up to you. I would really think that if the lady's semi-formal attire is very dressy, then perhaps the gentleman should go with a suit--otherwise a sports coat would be fine.:)

Not your usual c r e d o, is it? What happened to "dressing the Cunard way"??? :p

I've decided (at least for today) that if someone needs to be convinced to dress appropriately, then I really have no business, time, or interest in giving them advice (assuming they are not travelling with me). We are talking about adults here (mostly) who can afford to travel on one of the more expensive cruise lines and should be able to read the Cunard guides and understand what the line is requesting. If they have not learned by now how to dress appropriately, why should I, some stranger in cyberspace, tutor them?:rolleyes: I'll just avoid them onboard.:eek: In short, Nom, I have lost my will to serve in the losing battle.

Oh, and it may have something to do with a "jeans in the dining room" flame war going on over on HAL.:cool:

(P.S., since when was c r e d o a naughty word??)

Good for you SMNYC, way to go.

Gari

Gari,

thought you might appreciate the following - it's my take on the dress code written a year or so ago. It's been on here before so you may already have seen it somewhere.

J

CUNARD DRESS CODE - NOTES FOR BEGINNERS

Imperial

Imperial State Crown, Cullinan Diamond (if HM can be persuaded to part with it for a couple of weeks), Orb, Sceptre, Orders of the Garter, Thistle, etc, etc. Equerries, footmen, ADC’s, sundry flunkies, ancient household retainers, et al to wear white tie. Massed bands of the Household Division - No1 Dress. Corgis optional. State coaches may be parked in the forward hold by prior arrangement. Note: only to be worn on major occasions of state or, if travelling by Cunard, on all nights at sea and any night in port when 10 or more reigning monarchs are dining in One’s Grill.

Regal

As above but massed bands are permitted to hover around Wellington Barracks awaiting One’s return.

Really Awfully Formal

Top hat, white tie, tails, blah, blah, blah!

Formal

Dinner jacket, bow tie, dress shirt, trousers (it pays not to forget these), black shoes, whatever!

Semi-formal

Give me strength, I’m losing the will to live! Presume it’s somewhere between Formal and Casual but, exactly where, I'm at a loss to explain (maybe you can lose the trousers!).

Informal

Anything with a tie that would be considered sufficiently formal for all practical purposes by any normal inhabitant of the rocky planets of the inner Solar System. Can’t speak for the distant gas-giants - they do things differently that far out!

Casual

As above – no tie. Trousers optional.

Repel Boarders Mode

Combat helmet, full combat suit, body armour, boots, web equipment, assault rifle (your choice, but 7.62mm NATO calibre preferred), sidearm, 150 rounds of ammunition. Please note that AK47s and other items of casual, former Eastern Bloc sports-gear are permitted only in the Lido between 0800hrs and 1800hrs on alternate Saturdays during months with an R in the name. Note: if joining your cruise by commercial flight a range of appropriate weaponry can be hired at the Pursers’ Desk.

Chav (formal) – see footnote

Burberry baseball cap, black shell suit, white Nike trainers, bling by Elizabeth Duke at Argos.

Chav (semi-formal)

As above, white shell suit.

Chav (informal)

As above - no bling

Chav (casual)

Hoodie, track suit bottoms, any old trainers, kid’s BMX bike for making fast getaway after knicking the cutlery. Note that BMX bikes are not permitted in the Queens Grill (they may be parked for a nominal fee in the Queens Grill Lounge).

Naturist (formal)

Nipple rings. Flip flops.

Naturist (semi-formal)

As above - no nipple rings

Naturist (casual)

No flip flops

Naturist (ultra casual)

Remove flesh from bones. Articulate and mount skeleton (NB: mounted skeleton can be wheeled into meals by crew member if arranged in advance).

Invisible Man

Save yourself a shed-load of cash, spend two weeks in Skegness getting trashed and forget all about Cunard and their daft dress codes!!

Footnote: “Chav - In the United Kingdom (originally the south of England): a young person of a type characterized by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of designer-style clothes (esp. sportswear); usually with connotations of a low social status”. Source Oxford English Dictionary, June 2006.

Gari,

thought you might appreciate the following - it's my take on the dress code written a year or so ago. It's been on here before so you may already have seen it somewhere.

No James, not seen that before. Good Stuff. You seems to have it just about covered.

I did hear that the word Chav was coined by the girls of Cheltenham Ladies College to designate the male residents of that town is was their shorthand for Cheltenham Average. May be an urban miff.

Don't they get their knickers in a twist on that there HAL board?.

Gari

I did hear that the word Chav was coined by the girls of Cheltenham Ladies College to designate the male residents of that town is was their shorthand for Cheltenham Average. May be an urban miff.

I'd heard the Cheltenham solution before but it's almost certainly a backronym.

Don't they get their knickers in a twist on that there HAL board?

Yes - thank heavens nobody around here takes the dress code that seriously!

J

Yes - thank heavens nobody around here takes the dress code that seriously!

J

Exactly! We have a bit of a dust up over pre-tied versus self-tied ties and they have a full on battle, 'bout evenly split, as to whether holey jeans are OK in the dining room! I chimed in with the old "so long as your tattoos and piercings are covered" schtick and on comes some tattoo/pierced lady all worried that she might be frowned upon!

Pray tell me, what exactly IS a pre-tied bow tie?

Gari

A bow tie stitched to stay in a bow, sewn onto a band that goes around your neck, and has a hook and eye either at the back or in the front (behind the bow).

Another way to think of it, tie your bow tie, now cut the fabric of the band in the middle of the back of your neck and put a hook on one end and an eye on the other (and sew the bow in front so it does not come apart.

A bow tie stitched to stay in a bow, sewn onto a band that goes around your neck, and has a hook and eye either at the back or in the front (behind the bow).

Another way to think of it, tie your bow tie, now cut the fabric of the band in the middle of the back of your neck and put a hook on one end and an eye on the other (and sew the bow in front so it does not come apart.

These presumably are manufactured for children?

Gari

You mean Gari, you never, ever wore a pretied bowtie--not even once?

When I was young, and in my prime

I used to wear them all the time

but now I'm older, and a touch grey

I learned to knot the proper way.

It was a while ago I must confess

and the first dozen or so were a mess

but then as I approached aged ten

I got it right, and then again.

My fears were something of the past

I could go out and have a blast

and when, late on I got a little hot

all I need do is pull the knot.

When I was young, and in my prime

I used to wear them all the time

but now I'm older, and a touch grey

I learned to knot the proper way.

It was a while ago I must confess

and the first dozen or so were a mess

but then as I approached aged ten

I got it right, and then again.

My fears were something of the past

I could go out and have a blast

and when, late on I got a little hot

all I need do is pull the knot.

Good morning Cap n,

Is that a poem of your bowtie skills or GAri's--very nice poem--Capn:)

Archived