Question for Mr. Barbados?

Martita B.

As there will be around 6 or 8 of us staying one night pre-cuise on Dec. 11th at the Coconut Beach Court Hotel could you suggest a nice restaurant not too far from our Hotel? Actually, there are 5 of us staying at the hotel, the others are coming for cocktails before dinner.......would there be a quaint, perhaps open-air restaurant NOT too far from the C.C. Beach Hotel? Not too terribly expensive, just nice and good Caribbean food. Maybe with a little "Copa Cabana" ambiance?

Thanking you in advance.

MB

As there will be around 6 or 8 of us staying one night pre-cuise on Dec. 11th at the Coconut Beach Court Hotel could you suggest a nice restaurant not too far from our Hotel? Actually, there are 5 of us staying at the hotel, the others are coming for cocktails before dinner.......would there be a quaint, perhaps open-air restaurant NOT too far from the C.C. Beach Hotel? Not too terribly expensive, just nice and good Caribbean food. Maybe with a little "Copa Cabana" ambiance?

MB

Well, you’re staying at a nice spot and the food is quite good there, too.

However, you have a number of choices (that I know of).

I’ll first preface this with telling you that a hamburger, fries and a Coke can be US$13 on the island.

With that said, I’ll list the choices that I am aware, with the possible costs for dinner. The first is our favorite; the last is our last (but still good).

1. David’s Place. US$40-100.

2. Pisces. US$40-100.

3. Brown Sugar US$25-75.

There are also a number of smaller restaurants that are quite nice:

OPA! A Greek Restaurant just up the street from the CBC. US$20-40.

Sweet Potatoes. US$ 25-35.

And, across the street from the CBC is the Red Rooster Pub. Live music and dinners are US$15-30. A good place to finish-up the evening.

As you know, as the price goes down, the ambience also diminishes.

I’d have drinks at the CBC and an appetizer and then taxi down to Brown Sugar (Copa Cabana ambiance and GOOD!). It’s about 5-8 minutes from the hotel. I’d then just order the less expensive dishes and enjoy the surroundings and friends. I’d also consider David’s Place or Pisces (fish) for the same routine; they are truly outstanding and close.

Reservations necessary for David’s, Pisces and sometimes Brown Sugar.

Sweet Potatoes, no reservations and it’s actually quite good without the glamour.

These are the ones that I am familiar with. There must be dozens more. I’d ask at the hotel, or your cab driver for his recommendations, or perhaps an full-time islander will come forth and advise.

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

Mr. Barbados,

I had heard that Brown Sugar just had a fire and is not open. That would be a shame. Do you know if this is true or just a rumor.

Regards,

Mcboo:)

Good question, Mcboo.

And yes, I think the original poster wanted a dinner under the stars, yes?

Well, it comes close, but not a brass ring.

Brown Sugar is a restored West Indian wooden house across from the Grand Barbados Beach resort.

It is a multi-level restaurant decorated with loads of ferns and a cascading waterfall.

It offers dining on an open verandah overlooking the bay (stars above, no sand under your feet with limited seating here). Years ago they had dining on the patio, but I don’t know if they still offer that.

Here’s a picture of the inside:

Brown Sugar restaurant, Aquatic Gap, Bay St., St. Michael, Barbados

brownsugar.JPG

It has arguabley the best Barbadian food on the island.

The ceiling is latticed with slow-turning ceiling fans with ferns everywhere. I don’t remember a working fireplace, but there may have been one.

The last time that we were there for dinner, we had the black bean soup, Creole pork and stuffed crab backs.

It also has wonderful buffet lunches.

It is a good, reasonably priced restaurant with authentic Bajan fare.

For truly open-aire dining (with sand under your feet), I guess The Lonestar Restaurant in St. James comes to mind.

Thanks for bringing up the point. I would hate to have our poster disappointed with semi-inside dining if that was truly important to them.

Best Regards,

-b-

Many thanks for ALL your great suggestions.

It was posted on our board that The Brown Sugar burned......if this is true, I am so terribly sorry! It sounds like JUST the right restaurant for us to dine.

Which restaurant could we dine on the deck overlooking the water? We have some smokers and it might be more convenient, plus being picturesque.

And what about the dining at The Coconut Court Hotel? Do they have a nice dining room? We booked there simply because it is small......family owned and they will pick us up at the airport and take us to the Cruise dock.

Thanks again......you've been most helpful!

MB

Many thanks for ALL your great suggestions.

It was posted on our board that The Brown Sugar burned......if this is true, I am so terribly sorry! It sounds like JUST the right restaurant for us to dine.

Which restaurant could we dine on the deck overlooking the water? We have some smokers and it might be more convenient, plus being picturesque.

And what about the dining at The Coconut Court Hotel? Do they have a nice dining room? We booked there simply because it is small......family owned and they will pick us up at the airport and take us to the Cruise dock.

Thanks again......you've been most helpful!

MB

You know, I’m only a semi-resident of the island between January and April. Even then, I spend much of my time on other islands doing business, so I miss a lot of news.

If the Brown Sugar burned, I didn’t hear about it.

I did hear about the Brown Sugar Restaurant in Grenada burning down in the fall of 2002. Could that be the one they’re referring to?

As far as I know, the Brown Sugar restaurant in Barbados is alive and well.

Now, as far as the restaurant in the Coconut Court Beach resort. First, the food is quite good and the prices are reasonable, plus you can eat on the beach.

Here’s a picture for you:

coconutbeachfood.jpg

Most of the upscale restaurants on the west and South coasts offer open-aire verandah dining, but it sounds like Coconut Beach has everything that you need.

If the view at the Coconut doesn’t quite please you, I’ll offer you a picture of our favorite dining establishment on the island:

thecliff2.JPG

It’s Paul Owen’s The Cliff restaurant in St. James. About a 15 to 20-minute taxi ride from your hotel. It’s the best, and the price reflects the quality.

Questions? More confused now?

Many. many thanks!

The Brown Sugar in Barbados just recently burned......that was posted on CC board.

We might just decide to have dinner at the Coconut Court.......I don't arrive until 6:30 pm......then another 30 minutes luggage and the drive to the Hotel....I will want to "freshen up".......another few minutes.......soooo

For cocktails and a light dinner......(I don't think anyone will want a 6 course meal as we'll be boarding our ship the next morning.......) this might be the best and the easiest!

I do appreciate ALL your suggestions and help!

I loveeeee Barbardos too!

Martha B.

Many. many thanks!

The Brown Sugar in Barbados just recently burned......that was posted on CC board.

We might just decide to have dinner at the Coconut Court.......I don't arrive until 6:30 pm......then another 30 minutes luggage and the drive to the Hotel....I will want to "freshen up".......another few minutes.......soooo

For cocktails and a light dinner......(I don't think anyone will want a 6 course meal as we'll be boarding our ship the next morning.......) this might be the best and the easiest!

I do appreciate ALL your suggestions and help!

I loveeeee Barbardos too!

Martha B.

I'm so sorry to hear about Brown Sugar. We didn't get there often, but it will be missed.

I think you'll have a fine dinner at Coconut Beach, and then you won't have to rush anywhere, just relax, yes?

My best wishes for a wonderful time on the island and a wonderful cruise, too. :)

Archived