coats for men formal night?

tciscruisinnow

Do men need to wear a sports coat on formal nights now? I read that they are suggested. We were packing last night and my husband prefers to wear a dress shirt with a tie. I don't care, but does anyone know the answer. I don't have a lot of time right now to keep searching the threads. thanks.

I wore a sport coat on our formal night. There were men in tux's. Men in suits, men in shirt and tie, and men dressed like me. There were even a few men in jeans and t-shirts.

I was imressed at the number of people who did attend and did dress for the occassion.

Some men will be in Sportscoats, but in all honesty, many are hung on the backs of chairs before the end of dinner. They are nice for pictures, etc... but I don't think anyone would begrudge your husband if he removed it during dinner. It's the Caribbean after all. Some men don't wear them at all, they take alot of room in the suitcase, and IMO, a nice dress shirt and tie are fine. I'm sure others will disagree, though.

Do men need to wear a sports coat on formal nights now? I read that they are suggested. We were packing last night and my husband prefers to wear a dress shirt with a tie. I don't care, but does anyone know the answer. I don't have a lot of time right now to keep searching the threads. thanks.

he will be fine.

:D

There are no more Formal nights.They are gone!

There are no more Formal nights.They are gone!

Just because the phrasing is different (from formal to 'elegant night') doesn't mean that folks should dress down as on casual nights. Not a lot of difference in formal and elegant. Those who know will still dress appropriately for the nicest evening of the cruise.:)

My dh is wearing dress slacks, dress shirt NO tie, NO jacket. My teen son is wearing khakis, and a short sleeve dress shirt, NO tie, NO jacket. I hope we don't get the stink eye from the clothes critics . I begged my dh to at least wear a tie, but it's just not gonna happen.:rolleyes:

Aren't they still optional? :confused:

Steve, feel free to dress up as much as you want on the now called 'elegant' nights..

They don't call them 'formal nights' any more, but the general guidelines are the same. They are special nights that people should dress for accordingly, and within Carnival's clearly stated guidelines.. :)

My dh is wearing dress slacks, dress shirt NO tie, NO jacket. My teen son is wearing khakis, and a short sleeve dress shirt, NO tie, NO jacket. I hope we don't get the stink eye from the clothes critics . I begged my dh to at least wear a tie, but it's just not gonna happen.:rolleyes:

That is what my DH wore on our last cruise. I didn't see the fashion police out that night.:D The way I look at it is we are following the dress code given and if anyone has anything to say about it I will just remind them who paid for our cruise.:D

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Just because the phrasing is different (from formal to 'elegant night') doesn't mean that folks should dress down as on casual nights. Not a lot of difference in formal and elegant. Those who know will still dress appropriately for the nicest evening of the cruise.:)

That is exactly what it means if you are refering to the old Casual night dress codes.

Suits and ties are gone,tuxes are dead and buried.Keeping this illusion that its all the same is not good info to new cruisers.

There is a huge difference in Formal to Elegant.

From suit and tie,to Dress shirt and dress slacks is huge IMHO.

Steve

I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I support 'Cotton' concerning the new/revised dress code....:)

Formal or 'Cruise Elegant', mean to me "AT LEAST" a sport coat and nice slacks... probably a tie, or nice shirt, but that would be optional...:p Me, I dress for the occasion, and even tho' I'm 63, I dress like my 'Mother raised me'...:rolleyes: If there are cloth napkins and a cloth tablecloth and a full place setting... it just seems proper.. !!!:D:cool: IMHO....

That is exactly what it means if you are refering to the old Casual night dress codes.

Suits and ties are gone,tuxes are dead and buried.Keeping this illusion that its all the same is not good info to new cruisers.

There is a huge difference in Formal to Elegant.

From suit and tie,to Dress shirt and dress slacks is huge IMHO.

Steve

Steve..... relax okay.. :cool: Just follow the dress code and we all will be fine!! ;)

My boyfriend has a tie phobia, but he will wear a black suit.

Is this appropiate? Or should we skip the formal nights?

Very appropriate... !! :D

We are not taking sport coats on our cruise in December, and will NOT be in the Dining room on Formal/Cruise Elegant night because of that..!;)

My boyfriend has a tie phobia, but he will wear a black suit.

Is this appropiate? Or should we skip the formal nights?

Yes that's fine.....my dh will dress that way at times. He has several dress shirts/sweaters that are not made for ties that are made to be worn under suit jackets........

Formal or 'Cruise Elegant', mean to me "AT LEAST" a sport coat and nice slacks... probably a tie, or nice shirt, but that would be optional...:p Me, I dress for the occasion, and even tho' I'm 63, I dress like my 'Mother raised me'...:rolleyes: If there are cloth napkins and a cloth tablecloth and a full place setting... it just seems proper.. !!!:D:cool: IMHO....

Thats the problem.What it means to you and what is the written policy are two different things. A sport coat is suggested,the at least is a "Dress Shirt" not a sport coat.

............ Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. ..........

Cloth napkins and a cloth table cloth is proper?:confused:

Now what is proper for dancing waiters on tables?

Whooping and yelling for color wars while eating?

A conga line while eating?

Anouncements over the PA?

Happy birthday singing?

Non enforcement of the dress code?

Steve

Archived