1st Big Carnival disappointment !!!!!!

Ron & Faye

...<snip>....It is pretty disturbing to have people call day after day after day to get their rates lowered so because the cruise line has lowered them for new bookings, and to see the paycheck that i have worked very hard for almost cut in half, because people don't want to abide by the terms/rates that they contracted to. ...<snip>....

That "contract that your customers agreed to" included the terms that allowed for the 100% refund of their deposit up until a certain date.;) That fact entitles them to a lot of leverage up until the final payment date.

The craziness of adjustments after final payment needs to stop, IMO.

Not sure but it seems easy enough

Cancel since you are before final payment

Book 8A gty

Get senior discount

Pay fuel supplement

I agree, problem solved.:)

That "contract that your customers agreed to" included the terms that allowed for the 100% refund of their deposit up until a certain date.;) That fact entitles them to a lot of leverage up until the final payment date.

The craziness of adjustments after final payment needs to stop, IMO.

I agree, problem solved.:)

Well, if you want your deposit back, then you are in fact breaking your contract and in that respect, its up to you to rebook if you want the new rate. Which of course will be at the new terms.

Well, if you want your deposit back, then you are in fact breaking your contract and in that respect, its up to you to rebook if you want the new rate. Which of course will be at the new terms.

Exercising the pre-existing, clearly written contractual terms that allow for contract termination and 100% refund of a deposit is world's away from "breaking" a contract, IMO. Breaking a contract (or rule) to me means acting in a manner that goes against the set of terms and conditions. YMMV :D

I completely agree with the rest of your opinion. People trying to negotiate better pricing terms than the ones that they had originally agreed to should absolutely expect to have to cancel and rebook if their negotiations fail.

After 11 cruises on Carnival and taking 61 cruisers with us since our first, I am so disappointed I am thinking of changing Lines. We booked over a year ago for an 8A balcony on Liberty for Feb. 09. We were assigned an 8A room and there was no fuel supplement. Also there was no Senior rate. Since then the rate has dropped (twice) and they have added a senior rate. I contacted my PVP with Carnival and advised him of the drop and new senior rate. He advised me he would get with his super. and get back with me. He called back a few days later and advised me the only way they would honor the new rate was if they added the fuel supplement and charged me for an 8B room which they assigned. Needless to say, I was not happy and called back to talk to his super. After arguing my point for over 40 minutes on the phone, that I had only booked an 8A and that the fuel supplement was not on when I booked and that THEY had assigned me this room and THEY had now changed the room catagory to 8B, they still refused to budge. I advised them I had been a Loyal Carnival Cruiser up to this point but I was now thinking I had spent a lot of time and money on the wrong cruise line. Their responce was Sorry, but that was all they could do. Anyone had anything like this lately. I know things are tight now, but I would think they would try to work with their customers to try to keep them coming back.

If your original price was so disappointing to you then you probably should not booked your cruise. Seriously, relax you agreed to a price. Pay that price and enjoy your cruise.

What is the actual difference in price and/or location of the room? Arent the 8A and 8B the same price?

Apparantly not lol. And if you are in what is now a 8B cabin, you can't get a 8A price drop without giving up your 8B cabin and moving to a 8A cabin.

OP never would say why she wouldnt just give up her 8B cabin to get the 8A price, must be a nice location.

Using this logic' date=' Carnival paid for ALL increases in fuel before they instituted the surcharge...... By the time they added the charge, they had already eaten millions of dollars in additional cost without passing it on to their passengers. If you're going to do "math" do it from the very first increase in fuel prices when they started going up......[/quote']

For once I agree with you. To Tedd who says how would you know this. Carnival issues a profit and loss statement every quarter. She knew it because it said fuel was eating into their profits even before Carnival added the fuel surcharge. The surcharge wasnt added the exact minute it starting to hurt. Carnival did eat the extra costs for a while.

It is a bit of a mystery to me as to how a PVP or TA is paid for bookings. Are you paid per booking or for the amount of the booking? When is the commission paid... At the time of booking or at the time of sailing? If someone books a year in advance and then cancels... you get nothing? How is commission deducted for price adjustments?

I certainly do not want to lower your pay check but I expect you to look after me too. I had been loyal to the same PVP for 15 cruises. When I asked for a price adjustment (before final payment) it was like I had asked for the moon. After that I transferred my booking to a TA. I have used that TA ever since (5 cruises). She is much easier to deal with. I do not feel like she is doing me a favor but like she really appreciates my business.

By the way... when I buy a car, I begin using it now. When I reserve a cruise, I use it when I cruise. If I reserved a car to be bought in the future... I would expect to pay the going rate when I actually bought it.

I am not a troll, and there are good reasons for changing my name for this post, so before you read into the fact that this is my first post. I wanted to let you know that.

Maybe the cruise lines should just not make price adjustments once you book your cruise. If you see that the rate has gone down, fine cancel your reservation and start over again. You might lose the cabin that you had on hold to begin with, but you will at least get the lower rate. Of course you will be subject to any fees that go along with canceling your reservation also.

Of course it could go along with the way that some cruise lines put it in their terms & conditions now, that new rates are only for New bookings and cancel and rebooks are not considered new bookings. Then where would that get you.

Book your cruise, be happy you have the room you wanted at the price you are willing to pay and go on your cruise.

Are you going to buy a car, then go back 5 months later to get a lower rate because they are now selling it at a lower price, I don't think so.

What about your house, buy a house, then the prices drop in the neighborhood, you think that the mortgage company cares... NOPE.

The way things are now, you agreed to a price, you by giving your deposit contracted for that price, that is the price you pay. If the rates go down, oh well, you have already contracted. You are changing the terms by asking for the new rates, so the cruise line has the right to make the changes on their terms.

You don't like it, gather up the funds and start your own cruise line.

It is pretty disturbing to have people call day after day after day to get their rates lowered so because the cruise line has lowered them for new bookings, and to see the paycheck that i have worked very hard for almost cut in half, because people don't want to abide by the terms/rates that they contracted to. Because of the rate reductions I now see why there are agencies that charge change fees. Each reduction takes money out of our pockets.

BOOK AT THE PRICE YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY AND BE FINISHED.

Thank you, that was a great little tid-bit. Of course, my question is, how long does anyone think OPEC will allow fuel prices to remain at their current prices? I'm sure they're choking on the kebabs, as we type, trying to reduce production so severely that we might as well all start peddaling our Schwinn's! Carnival cannot control OPEC, or fuel prices, anymore than you or I can. The OP is still getting an upgrade, no? And originally was a happy camper, or would not have booked; Carnival hasn't raised their rates......and there is still the ice-cream!! ;)

Have a good cruise.

I think the real problem is the lack of consistency. One booking gets nothing and someone else gets an OBC and upgraded to the ultra suite on the heaven deck.

The price of the cruise I booked in Feb dropped before my final payment in Nov. I called my carnival rep hoping for OBC as I would be sure to drink any savings. She was not authorized to do any changing but transfered me over to a supervisor. I was on hold for 40mins before I realized - there is nothing for nothing. Anyone with a big upgrade worked for it. They went on hold, they fought and they threatened or whatever else it took.

I myself hung up. I paid off my cruise and I will go and have a great time.

Ignorance is bliss because I only know of all the price matching etc from reading it on these boards.

I loved my upper deck balcony last year - what else do I need. Be careful what you wish for.

I think the real problem is the lack of consistency. One booking gets nothing and someone else gets an OBC and upgraded to the ultra suite on the heaven deck.

The price of the cruise I booked in Feb dropped before my final payment in Nov. I called my carnival rep hoping for OBC as I would be sure to drink any savings. She was not authorized to do any changing but transfered me over to a supervisor. I was on hold for 40mins before I realized - there is nothing for nothing. Anyone with a big upgrade worked for it. They went on hold, they fought and they threatened or whatever else it took.

I myself hung up. I paid off my cruise and I will go and have a great time.

Ignorance is bliss because I only know of all the price matching etc from reading it on these boards.

I loved my upper deck balcony last year - what else do I need. Be careful what you wish for.

LMAO....you have a great attitude. IMO some people need to buy a canoe, tent, sleeping bags some MRE's and call it good! This is just so silly, if one agrees to pay one price, which was a decent one evidently, and then got an upgrade as well what's to complain about? If the price was good originally why should that attitude change? However, if the issue is going to so upset the OP my guess would be that the cruise is going to be dreadful, as his/her attitude is already tainted....so perhaps it's time for a visit to Club Med.

LMAO....you have a great attitude. IMO some people need to buy a canoe, tent, sleeping bags some MRE's and call it good! This is just so silly, if one agrees to pay one price, which was a decent one evidently, and then got an upgrade as well what's to complain about? If the price was good originally why should that attitude change? However, if the issue is going to so upset the OP my guess would be that the cruise is going to be dreadful, as his/her attitude is already tainted....so perhaps it's time for a visit to Club Med.

When there is a price drop of @2500.00 per person before final payment.... it is worth getting the price adjustment or canceling and rebooking even if you take a different cabin. If I were to pay 5000.00 more for a cruise, for my husband and me, than I knew I had to I would not be a happy cruiser... even though we were prepared to pay the original rate. When the price dropped again by 50.00 after final payment we did not ask for that. I see no point in calling for every 20.00 but 5000.00 will buy a lot of canoes and sleeping bags.

When there is a price drop of @2500.00 per person before final payment.... it is worth getting the price adjustment or canceling and rebooking even if you take a different cabin. If I were to pay 5000.00 more for a cruise, for my husband and me, than I knew I had to I would not be a happy cruiser... even though we were prepared to pay the original rate. When the price dropped again by 50.00 after final payment we did not ask for that. I see no point in calling for every 20.00 but 5000.00 will buy a lot of canoes and sleeping bags.

Heck not only canoes and sleeping bags but hotdogs and lemonade as well! Was the OP calling regarding a price drop of that am't? I still maintain that the poster's attitude will be tainted and this probably isn't the right cruise for he/she. I know (speaking for myself) when I start a vacation that has caused stress before we set foot out the door nothing will make it right. Besides cruises we do quite a bit of all inclusive Walt Disney World packages and it never fails, if the concierge doesn't call me or make arrangements that I've requested (and a full week at WDW for four, staying at a deluxe resort adding the all inclusive feature sets us back around $13,000.00) that I am disgruntled by the smallest of issues. So sarcasm aside, and yes I know I'm a smart......., I do think alternative arrangements or an entirely different vacation would be a better idea.

Archived