Kids/dining room/dress short/shoes ??

dec2007w3boys

Starting to lay stuff out for our cruise next SAturday. Quick question: What kind of shoes do you pack for your kids in the dining room on the non - elegant nights? I have dressy cargo shorts and polos and/or dressy shirts for them to wear, but now I am stuck on the shoes. Trying to minimize packing. I have their dress shoes for the two nights when they will wear pants, but they would loook funny with shorts. :eek: They have their sandals - that is what we would do at home in the summer. Is this ok on the ship? They have their flip flops too - but I won't go there. I would rather not bring another pair of shoes.... I don't plan on bringing tennis shoes for them as they live all summer without them, so one less thing to pack.

Thanks for your help!

This is a pretty heated topic....

Personally I am against shorts in the dining room on any night, except the first night possibly. I'd also never wear sandals in the dining room. That's just me though and there are some here that will disagree with me. There isn't any one 'right' answer to your question...

Unfortunately, shorts are now allowed in the dining room on non-elegant nights.

But to answer dec2007.....hmmmm. I don't know what would look good with shorts other than sandals or tennis shoes.

I don't feel like pulling up the dress code, but I don't recall it saying that sandals or tennis shoes are not allowed. I think it only mentions flip-flops.

I think (IMHO) that sandals would be much more appropriate than tennis shoes...:) Ladies wear sling backs or open toed pumps/heels..

I can't really see any difference in kids wearing sandals..

Me, I wear 'dress' boat shoes with no socks, while wearing dress slacks, so there is really no difference..:D Again, IMHO...

Starting to lay stuff out for our cruise next SAturday. Quick question: What kind of shoes do you pack for your kids in the dining room on the non - elegant nights? I have dressy cargo shorts and polos and/or dressy shirts for them to wear, but now I am stuck on the shoes. Trying to minimize packing. I have their dress shoes for the two nights when they will wear pants, but they would loook funny with shorts. :eek: They have their sandals - that is what we would do at home in the summer. Is this ok on the ship? They have their flip flops too - but I won't go there. I would rather not bring another pair of shoes.... I don't plan on bringing tennis shoes for them as they live all summer without them, so one less thing to pack.

Thanks for your help!

If you decide to pack another pair of shoes I would go with a casual loafer with the shorts or deck shoes.

Thanks for your help!

Let them wear sandals! Who cares what the kids are wearing on their feet? You sit down in 2 minutes and all you see is their shirt the whole dinner. Are there actually people who get offended when someone with nice shorts and sandals walks past them? :confused:

Yes, this is a heated topic......

Just my 2 cents......you shouldn't be looking at my feet.......you should be enjoying your cruise and not worrying about what my kids or myself are wearing, especially on my feet. Yes, we do abide by the dress code, for the most part. We don't wear jeans to the dinning rooms. But, if my kids want to wear beach flip flops to dinner, then I am going to let them.

Don't stress about what your kids are wearing on their feet. Enjoy your packing and your cruise.

We always come from the north so it is always cold when we leave our home state. So the kids wear their tennis shoes on the trip there. Then I pack the dress shoes and sandals. I don't think this is too much to pack for the kids. Also, we went ziplining in Roatan and they wore their tennis shoes on that excursion-it was safer than sandals.:)

Because they are 'allowed', doesn't necessarily mean everyone will be comfortable wearing them to the dining room!:rolleyes::)

To each, their own... I won't wear jeans in the DR either...:D My choice...

I was responding to someone who did not know they were allowed..................your point:confused:

I could care less what you or anyone else feel comfortable wearing:cool:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. The boys and dh will be wearing shorts on all casual nights as suggested as an option on the dress code. Sorry if you don't like the changes to the dress code, but I think many threads already go on and on about that.

DH has deck shoes and my two younger have dark sandals - just now need to figure out what to do for the one who grows out of shoe sizes every other month. :D Or I may decide to go with tennis shoes for all three. Again, just looking to see what other's do, not looking to see if shorts are "approved". ;)

To get back to the OPs ORIGINAL question about shoes :rolleyes: My boys wore their sandals - the brown leather kind that we get at Hollister or Abercrombie. Believe me, they were dressed appropriately and looked just fine.

Thanks - and to the others above who offered suggestions as well!!

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. The boys and dh will be wearing shorts on all casual nights as suggested as an option on the dress code. Sorry if you don't like the changes to the dress code, but I think many threads already go on and on about that.

DH has deck shoes and my two younger have dark sandals - just now need to figure out what to do for the one who grows out of shoe sizes every other month. :D Or I may decide to go with tennis shoes for all three. Again, just looking to see what other's do, not looking to see if shorts are "approved". ;)

We are cruising next Saturday on the Inspiration and I definitely plan on bringing new sneakers for my boys to wear to dinner. They will be wearing khaki shorts, polo shirts and new clean sneakers. I'm also bringing their crocs for during the day and dress shoes for elegant night, but I agree that the dress shoes wouldn't look good with khaki shorts. My boys are 5 & 7 - I'm sure they will look fine - I'm not concerned in the least bit.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think - everyone needs to lighten up - Carnival has!

Thanks for your help!

You're O.K. ;)

I always pack, or have my grandsons wear their sneakers onboard because they have often needed them for excursions.

My DS usually wesr his as well since we leave from colder weather. BUT I still think the sandals are the way to go! I am assuming - since you say no on the flip flops - that you mean leather fisherman type sandals or something of that nature. I have always gotten my DS something like this to wear as a "nicer" shoe in warm weather. I think they look much nicer than sneakers especially with a nice pair of cargo shorts.

Khakis or cargo shorts with a polo or button-down print shirt always looks nice on young boys. Add any pair of shoes that doesn't look like they've been on the playground or digging trenches with ;) and they are good to go. It's the preteen/teen boys that are so hard because they fight back, lol. I bought my son a few Hawaiian-type flowered button down shirts and a pair of tan khakis for our last cruise and he was fine with that. We skip formal night because none of us really have the clothes or "attitude" for the formality:D

On my cruise there were plenty of GROWN MEN wearing cargo shirts, TSHIRTS and fishermen type sandals,,,,plenty of flip flops which are NOT supposed to be worn were WORN too!

They'll be fine because it sounds like you're upgrading a bit from THAT,,,,I agree with the poster who said that almost any clean shoe you put on them would be fine,,,,

I saw kids wearing sundresses and little sandals, cargo shorts and little sandals,,,,,,they'll be fine, as long as they're clean and in good shape.

Holly

Archived