help: binoculars 10x or 8x?

bmcc

This will be my first trip to Alaska. I have never used binoculars before and I wear glasses. After reading almost all of the threads on binoculars, I have narrowed my choice down to the Zen-Ray Vista model mainly because of price. However, I am not sure whether to get the 8x42 or 10x42 model. I want them for use on the ship, the White Pass Summit train trip and a Prince William Sound tour we are taking. We are not going to Denali. I really do not understand the difference between the 2. Please advise. Thanks.

we had 10x42 VISTA. They are brilliant and easy to use. DH wants to get another pair, either Summit or vista so each of us can have our own. I cannot believe our Alaska cruise is just around the corner.:D

I'm trying to decide which binoculars to purchase for our Alaska trip this summer, and the comments here have me almost ready to pull the trigger on Zen-Ray, even though I had never heard of them previously. I'm still trying to get a handle on whether to get the Vista or Summit, and whether to get 8x or 10x -- or maybe one of each so DW and I don't have to share!

I am curious about the lack of mention here of traditional binocular manufacturers. For example, Nikon has an 8x40 Action EX Extreme Waterproof & Fogproof Wide Angle Porro Prism binocular for about $140. I'd love to know if anyone considered them and got one of the Zen-Rays instead, and why.

Thanks!

-- Eric

Eric

I've wonderd the same thing! I did a little research and couldn't find any review of the Zen-Ray where they directly compared them to other makes. Binoculars.com rates both the Nikon Action Extreme and the Pentax PCF WP (both 8x40 and warterproof) very highly for the price - about the same or even a little less than the Zen-Ray Summit. As I understand it the Vista is not waterproof like the Summit or the Nikon and Pentax I listed. I don't know a lot about optics and such but I am knowledgable of the brands of various optics like rifle scopes, binoculars, and cameras from both personal experience as well as reading and reviewing magazines and catalogs. I honestly never heard of Zen-Ray until reading about them on this site and I'm certainly not discounting them as they seem to have a very high satisfaction rate among members.

Just wondering if anyone has direct comparison experience with the Zen-Ray and other brand binoculars and why they chose the Zen-Ray over the others?

Price, recommendation, personal experience?

I had similar 7x35 Pentax binoculars for many years and I liked it a lot. Too bad, I sold it to a birding buddy 10 years ago. I am surprised that you like it better than Swarovski. At $2000, Swaro is definitely out of my reach, especially with a cruise coming up.

Dave,

It was too bad. I didn't have the heart to tell my Dad that my Pentax had a sharper image than his Swaro. Wife and I were on safari in Tanzania this time 2 years ago and we borrowed his Swaros for our trip. Both my wife and I agreed that the Pentax was a better image. I've tried to find another pair but can't seem to find anything like them.

They are labeld as Asahi Pentax Marine and what is really cool about them is there is no real focusing. You set each diopter independently for both eyes at about 30 yards then everything is in perfect focus from 30 yrds to infinety which makes them great for wildlfie vieweing as you dont have to spend time focusing and searching for your subject, just throw them up to your eyes and everything is in focus just like your eyes. If you need to focus closer, just reset the individaul diopters for closer range, they can be set as close as 20 feet or so with a cyrstal clear image but if going beyond about 30 yards you would need to re-set the diopters.

I bought them just out of high school from a Hunting Shop that was run by a guy who arranged hunting trips all over the world. This guy only sold top of the line stuff and I remember him telling me how good they were and that I would have them for life. At the time I figured he was just trying to make a sale and convince a 19 year old to spend $350-400 on a pair of "glasses" as he called them. Glad I made that purchase and wish I could find another pair.

I had summit and vista for my cruise last year. It is my first real decent binoculars. I believe the VISTA is also waterproof. At least it is according to their website. http://www.zen-ray.com/comparison.shtml

There are some extensive discussion on zen-ray binoculars, mainly on their high end binoculars at birdforum. It seems everyone is happy with their $400 binoculars too.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

I was in Wally World yesterday and they had a special "double pack" of Bushnell binoculars. I was surprised at the price. The package contained a standard pair (10 X 42 waterproof) and a small pair of 8 X 42 waterproof ones. Both came with a nice travel pouch, neck straps, etc. The smaller ones will fit in a coat pocket.

Both were only 20 bucks total!

I am sure they are not all that great, but I tried them after buying them and they will work just fine for our May Alaska cruise.

Just wondering if anyone has direct comparison experience with the Zen-Ray and other brand binoculars and why they chose the Zen-Ray over the others?

Price, recommendation, personal experience?

I bought their summit two years ago. I had a bushnell Elite2 before that. I just wanted to get an inexpensive one so everyone in the group has his own binoculars during the cruise. I cannot tell the difference between summit and E2. Both are sharp and bright. But if I have to choose again, I may opt for their 8x power for its wider viewing field.

At their website: http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=240

If you purchase ZEN ED 8x43 waterproof binoculars for $449, a quick discount of $90 until end of Feb.

That's the one my friend got. He think it is as good as his more expensive binoculars. I tried it a couple of times. It is very nice. But I think my summit will do most of the trick for my cruise.

For any of you who have bought Zen-Ray Vistas or Summits, did you go to a camera store and check out a pair of Nikons or Canons or other binoculars in a similar price range? I'd love to be able to compare, but since the Zen-Rays are sold only direct from the company via mail order, it doesn't seem possible. So I'm wondering if anyone looked at, say, the Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme ATB Binoculars, then ordered the Zen-Rays, and how you felt they compared. Thanks!

-- Eric

but since the Zen-Rays are sold only direct from the company via mail order, it doesn't seem possible.

-- Eric

According to their website, they have 30 day full refund policy. Plus the sale I posted earlier extends to many of their other models. I'll probably order (by Feb 28) the higher price plus Summit model to try out and return one (or both) of them.

For any of you who have bought Zen-Ray Vistas or Summits, did you go to a camera store and check out a pair of Nikons or Canons or other binoculars in a similar price range? I'd love to be able to compare, but since the Zen-Rays are sold only direct from the company via mail order, it doesn't seem possible. So I'm wondering if anyone looked at, say, the Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme ATB Binoculars, then ordered the Zen-Rays, and how you felt they compared. Thanks!

-- Eric

We were planning to get a Nikon Action extreme initially. After checking it out cabela store, we really liked how pleasant it is to use it. But my daughter complaint it felt heavy (I believe the clerk told us 8x40 is 30oz), which I agreed after holding it for a couple of minutes. The Vista is much lighter and compact. We all enjoy using it (as a matter of fact, we will get another pair before the cruise). From our short trial period in the store, we like both Nikon and Vista (haven't put them side by side). But the lower price and lighter weight matter more to us.

I have read all of the wonderful posts here and just let me say thank you for all information you have provided. I have a question. Some of you mentioned that by using a x10 versus a x8 is that you lose field of view. I have narrowed my selections to 3 different models:

Zen Ed 8x43

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=240

Zen Ed 10x43

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_66&products_id=239

Bushnell Elite E2

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-e2-8x42-binocular

Something I noticed and you may agree or disagree with. Look at the Bushnell E2, the field of view is 330ft/1000yds. This is an x8 power lens. Now looking at the Zen Ed 10x43, I get an even better field of view at 340ft/1000yds and a 10x magnification. Do I have this correct? I'm not all that sure of what criteria should be used in purchasing binocs, but all other categories being equal, it seems to me that the better choice might be the Zen Ed 10x43.

Some of you mentioned that shaking hands can be an issue with the 10x, but if the field of view is virtually the same for both, then would it matter?

Thanks for the input.

According to their website, they have 30 day full refund policy. Plus the sale I posted earlier extends to many of their other models. I'll probably order (by Feb 28) the higher price plus Summit model to try out and return one (or both) of them.

It's 30 day free exchange and 12 day full refund, minus shipping. I decided to purchase the lower end model, the Zen-Ray Summit 8X42, with discount, total $181.00, order should arrive next week.

-- Eric

I tried out Nikon Monarch 10x42 binoculars at a sporting goods store and really liked the quality of the lenses but they wanted $349 which I wasn't prepared to pay. They also seemed a little shakey for me so I ended up purchasing the Zen Ray Summit 8x42 which seem of comparable quality to the Monarchs but much less expensive and easier for me to hold steady.

I have read all of the wonderful posts here and just let me say thank you for all information you have provided. I have a question. Some of you mentioned that by using a x10 versus a x8 is that you lose field of view. I have narrowed my selections to 3 different models:

Zen Ed 8x43

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=240

Zen Ed 10x43

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_66&products_id=239

Bushnell Elite E2

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-e2-8x42-binocular

Something I noticed and you may agree or disagree with. Look at the Bushnell E2, the field of view is 330ft/1000yds. This is an x8 power lens. Now looking at the Zen Ed 10x43, I get an even better field of view at 340ft/1000yds and a 10x magnification. Do I have this correct? I'm not all that sure of what criteria should be used in purchasing binocs, but all other categories being equal, it seems to me that the better choice might be the Zen Ed 10x43.

Some of you mentioned that shaking hands can be an issue with the 10x, but if the field of view is virtually the same for both, then would it matter?

Thanks for the input.

That's correct. The E2 we got has narrow field of view, which is one major shortcoming. I am a big 8x fan. If you go with their 8x43, the field of view is 426ft, which is almost the widest I have seen. I like 8x only because of its wider field of view. I don't have any shaking hands issue with 10x.

I may be able to use some gift cards on Amazon.com to purchase binoculars. They sell the Bushnell H2O 10x42 and 8x42 waterproof/fogproof binocular w/roof prism. Are these as good as Zen-Ray Vista's comparable models?

That's correct. The E2 we got has narrow field of view, which is one major shortcoming. I am a big 8x fan. If you go with their 8x43, the field of view is 426ft, which is almost the widest I have seen. I like 8x only because of its wider field of view. I don't have any shaking hands issue with 10x.

I ordered a pair of ZEN 8x43 this morning. I am a loser when it comes to large FOV and could not resist. The reviews I have been are all positive. I will see how it compares to E2 and summit I have.

• 2 weeks later...
I vaguely remember someone mentioned binocular harness. Is there any feature we should look for when shop for a harness?

I have a harness, but still prefer the neckstrap better so I can easily take it off if I don't want to use it. Harness does help distributing weight. It might be helpful if you have neck problem.

I ordered a pair of ZEN 8x43 this morning. I am a loser when it comes to large FOV and could not resist. The reviews I have been are all positive. I will see how it compares to E2 and summit I have.

Just wondering if you got them yet, and how they compare. I'm afraid the ZENs are out of my price range. I've been weighing the Zen-Ray Summits or Vistas. Then in a different forum today, someone recommended the lightweight Cabela 12X30's. I had been looking at Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme ATB's before I came across these brands I'd never heard of before. I don't know how one makes a good choice when several of these brands aren't sold in retail stores where you can go to try and compare them! Any input welcome.

-- Eric

Archived